Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:55:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool service requirements  (Read 446 times)
konradp (OP)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:01:15 PM

Hi.
If a pool service says that it (for example) "hashes 200Gh/s", does that mean that it receives 200 billions of requests with users' hashes per second?

I ask because I would like to know if this is sensible to create a pull service on PHP.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:17:46 PM

Hi.
If a pool service says that it (for example) "hashes 200Gh/s", does that mean that it receives 200 billions of requests with users' hashes per second?

I ask because I would like to know if this is sensible to create a pull service on PHP.

No, it means that its miners do that many hashes.

If the difficulty of a share is 1, then each share submitted represents 4 billion hashes completed by the miner (on average).

They would out their hash rate as 232 * (share difficulty) * (shares submitted per second).

The pool can decide how high it sets the share difficulty.  The lower the less variance for the miners, but the more server resources it uses.

It can be different per miner.  If a miner submits shares every second, the pool could increase the share difficulty for that miner.  By doing this, each miner's share rate could be adjusted so it is once every few minutes.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
konradp (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:56:42 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 06:11:10 PM by konradp

Thanks.

There are so many variables, and while I almost undestand them, I still don't know if I should create the pool on c/c++ or php. I just don't know how to start, I'll learn everytning later. Can you help me with this?

Edit: isn't it true that: a pool server needs to check every hash? So, in other words it needs to check n billcions of hashes, right?
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:31:44 PM

Edit: isn't it true that: a pool server needs to check every hash? So, in other words it needs to check n billcions of hashes, right?

No, it only checks the hashes of shares it is sent.

Imagine if each hash gave a result from from 0 to 999. 

A block requires that the number is 0 to 9, but the pool accepts any hashes below 100.

Every 10 hash attempts  or so, the miner will get a hash below 100, so it sends the share to the server.  The server only needs to check that the share has a hash below 100.  Since it takes 10 attempts per share, the pool knows that the miner did 10 hashes (on average).

If the share has a hash below 10, then the pool will submit the block and collect the reward.  It splits the reward between the miners based on how many shares they submitted.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
konradp (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

Thanks, now I'll try to understand it Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: