Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info failure with over 40BTC  (Read 1466 times)
camosoul (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 05:23:18 PM

Sent BTC to Blockchain.info wallet address. Everything worked fine.

12 hours later a new address has been created in that wallet which I did not create. The BTC that was previously attached to the original address, is now attached to this new mystery address and they won't confirm...

I'm looking at my money, but I can't touch it...

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:25:21 PM

It still hasnt sunk in for people that you need to control your wallet?  Really?

Stop using online wallets of any sort.  Its asking to get screwed
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:26:08 PM

What kind of security measures did you take at your account?
Did you for instance use 2FA?

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 05:32:33 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 06:01:09 PM by camosoul

I don't think you're listening, and on top of that, making false assumptions.

Read what I wrote. The BitCoins were not sent out of my wallet. There is no send transaction. There is no security problem with my password. The RECEIVE transaction went as expected, then 12 hours later it was undone, and the same receive appears to have occurred on a new address I've never seen before, that has been magically added to my wallet. Now they're still showing up, but that new seemingly impossible transaction and address aren't getting any confirmations so I can't do anything with my BTC...

I've never used a cloud wallet before. I use a variety of locally-stored and encrypted wallets. I wanted to see how their service worked. Especially their little coin mixed send thingy.

What could cause that, I ask. It LOOKS like a Transaction Malleability goof has been applied to this transaction, and Blockchain.info is having trouble figuring out which way to go. Both addresses/TXIDs show that they were sent FROM the exact same set of addresses. It means that Transaction Malleability can be applied to any transaction, not just the ones you do yourself. And now it's forking around... Doesn't know which address to say it really went to. Odd, that I ended up with this new address in my wallet, that's a total damn mystery. I'm just looking for a theory on how this is possible.

EDIT: Back when I ran a bitcoind on my own server I did notice the entire wallet contents being sent to a new internal address from time to time when I sent a smaller amount... A seemingly totally unrelated transaction to a new address that it just made up. That was several years ago so it didn't pop into my head right away. Maybe this exposes something about how Blockchain.info's bitcoind works... Maybe they care and want to do something about it... Maybe it's a good thing? It seems to suggest that every wallet session on their machine is sandboxed with it's own bitcoind every time a person logs in. Knowing a little about blockchain.info wallets helps; they may be hosted, but they're not a collective system, they don't have passwords, and they send a backup to your email every single damn time you change something... Your wallet is encrypted with the password you give them at the time you create it, and that's how you manage to access it after that. They can't even read it themselves. It's been hours and still no confirmations for that TX... I also see no fee, which could be the reason.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
SlidingHorn

Activity: 196

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:58:58 PM

I don't think you're listening, and on top of that, making false assumptions.

Read what I wrote. The BitCoins were not sent out of my wallet. There is no send transaction. There is no security problem with my password1. The RECEIVE transaction went as expected, then 12 hours later it was undone, and the same receive appears to have occurred on a new address I've never seen before, that has been magically added to my wallet. Now they're still showing up, but that new seemingly impossible transaction and address aren't getting any confirmations2 so I can't do anything with my BTC...

I've never used a cloud wallet before. I use a variety of locally-stored and encrypted wallets. I wanted to see how their service worked.3 Especially their little coin mixed send thingy.

What could cause that, I ask. It LOOKS like a Transaction Malleability goof has been applied to this transaction, and Blockchain.info is having trouble figuring out which way to go. Both addresses/TXIDs show that they were sent FROM the exact same set of addresses. It means that Transaction Malleability can be applied to any transaction, not just the ones you do yourself. And now it's forking around... Doesn't know which address to say it really went to. Odd, that I ended up with this new address in my wallet, that's a total damn mystery. I'm just looking for a theory on how this is possible.

1.  Does not answer the question:  Do you have 2FA enabled on that account?

2.  Do you have any transaction IDs we can try to look up so we can see what the hell's going on?

3.  You used 40 BTC to test a service you weren't sure of?   Shocked  Roll Eyes

camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 06:05:08 PM

1.  Does not answer the question:  Do you have 2FA enabled on that account?

Not providing an answer to that question intentionally. It does not affect or apply to the issue.

2.  Do you have any transaction IDs we can try to look up so we can see what the hell's going on?

Not providing an answer to that question intentionally. Reluctant to expose that data publicly. Blockchain.info might want it before sharing with the world. I'm sharing the problem. It involves the use of their mixer sendy thingamajig to send a smaller transaction. This re-attachment of the original funds seems to be related to sending a small portion through that mixer sendy thing. [sent less than 1BTC through mixer sendy thing, my huge pile of BTC somehow get tangled up and/or bitcoind did a stupid internal send).

3.  You used 40 BTC to test a service you weren't sure of?   Shocked  Roll Eyes

No. I tested it with 0.1BTC. Then again with 1.5BTC. Everything went perfectly. So, I did this; bam, all FUBARed.

I've updated a previous post.

If my EDIT theory is true, this will all pan out if I just wait on the BlockChain to stack deeper, while also demonstrating that they really do have the security measures they say that they have.

Why didn't I mention all this initially? Some I didn't remember, as noted. Some I didn't think was relevant at the time, but it now appears that it might be...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
digimag

Activity: 138

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:25:27 PM

You have to understand that we can't guess what's going on if we don't even have a tx id or btc address to work with…

It shouldn't be a security issue to reveal them (all transactions are public anyway), unless you think it can hurt your privacy.

17opQsbw8873x4PTwzvacEjNR2a59mSxoT
SlidingHorn

Activity: 196

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:34:15 PM

1.  Does not answer the question:  Do you have 2FA enabled on that account?

Not providing an answer to that question intentionally. It does not affect or apply to the issue.

Wrong.  It applies VERY MUCH to this situation, as if you haven't properly protected your account, it's possible (maybe even likely) that the account was phished or hacked, etc. and that is the cause of this whole issue to begin with....next:

2.  Do you have any transaction IDs we can try to look up so we can see what the hell's going on?

Not providing an answer to that question intentionally. Reluctant to expose that data publicly. Blockchain.info might want it before sharing with the world. I'm sharing the problem. It involves the use of their mixer sendy thingamajig to send a smaller transaction. This re-attachment of the original funds seems to be related to sending a small portion through that mixer sendy thing. [sent less than 1BTC through mixer sendy thing, my huge pile of BTC somehow get tangled up and/or bitcoind did a stupid internal send).

First, no one can help you without being able to view the transaction.  Second, the transaction has your public key, which you can freely share with anyone.  It does not contain your private key, and there's no reason you should really worry about sharing it - especially when it's the only means by which any of us can help you.

Edit:  I'm not arguing to be a jerk.  I'm arguing because you're in here asking for help, but refuse to provide any information that would allow people to do so.  I'm doing this so we *can* help you Smiley

camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 07:07:42 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 07:21:05 PM by camosoul

Wrong.  It applies VERY MUCH to this situation, as if you haven't properly protected your account, it's possible (maybe even likely) that the account was phished or hacked, etc. and that is the cause of this whole issue to begin with....next:

I have not been phished or compromised. Lets just drop this, ok? It's nonsense.

[/b]  I'm not arguing to be a jerk.  I'm arguing because you're in here asking for help, but refuse to provide any information that would allow people to do so.  I'm doing this so we *can* help you Smiley

I understand this now. I should not have posted this thread. I'm seeing gibberish in the wallet records and blockchain that is not only impossible, but also counter intuitive and self-conflicting. I'm writing it off as a loss because it's not going to get solved since there is no way I can contact Blockchain.info about it, and they can't do anything anyway because they don't control the keys. I'm simply out of luck.

Sent big pile of BTC to Address A at Blockchain.info. Received it, as expected. Created address B on Blockchain.info. Sent Small amount of BTC through their send-mixer-thingy to Address B. Never happened.

At EXACTLY the same moment, Address C appeared out of nowhere.

All money sent to Address A 12 hours ago now shows as having never been sent to Address A, but having been sent to Address C. Simultaneously, records also show that the remaining balance from Address A was sent to Address C. Impossible for both to be true. Impossible for a transaction that was approx 60 confirmations deep to just go poof. Impossible that a transaction appro 60 tx deep in blocks just poof, isn't there anymore. Impossible that it suddenly shows the very same amount of BTC attached to this magical new address. Impossible that I would be in possession of said magically created address... Which I why I suspect it's one of those weird book-keeping sends that bitcoind just decides to do on it's own. It's the only thing that makes sense. But, nothing is confirming... It's like it's like both txs are immune to being included in a block...

The BTC sent to Address B and Address C will not confirm. I possess all addresses in question. I haven't technically lost anything. It just isn't being included in any blocks...

Bottom line, I tested it twice before I trusted it with my pile of money, and it went totally wonky the second I used a large amount of money. Oh well. Don't use Blockchain.info. Apparently, I sent my own BTC to a pair of my own addresses (apparently; one intentional, the other magical), but the transactions won't confirm, so it's lost now.

This is "Address C:" https://blockchain.info/address/1L9iqHuAxe6mGYYP5ksM46cs4vt9Lr6as1

I never sent that amount. I've never seen the "from" addresses. It is the balance of what WAS on Address A.

This is "Address A:" https://blockchain.info/address/1Hmpf43EcRMSMd6MMxGLtojFWCYCjXEHQU

I have no idea why this transaction is for so many BTC. It was a much, much smaller number that I told it to send, and I told it to send to Address B. Address C didn't even exist at the time, and was magically created at this very moment.

This is "Address B:" https://blockchain.info/address/1DaoC2iHsEuQV3LSEwgyzvpbSUA1wqH5Ce

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:29:00 PM

It still hasnt sunk in for people that you need to control your wallet?  Really?

That's not accurate for Blockchain.info. It is your wallet that you control. Blockchain doesn't have access to it. They just provide a port to the bitcoin network that your browser connects to (essentially).

As for OP: Relax, as long as you have 2FA on (you DO have 2FA on, right?) and preferably use a yubikey with it (You DO have a Yubikey, don't you?!?!) there is nothing to worry about. If the coins never confirm, they will revert to the address they came from. So you will be fine. You probably didn't pay a TX fee to expedite the process.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:33:05 PM

Wrong.  It applies VERY MUCH to this situation, as if you haven't properly protected your account, it's possible (maybe even likely) that the account was phished or hacked, etc. and that is the cause of this whole issue to begin with....next:

I have not been phished or compromised. Lets just drop this, ok? It's nonsense.

[/b]  I'm not arguing to be a jerk.  I'm arguing because you're in here asking for help, but refuse to provide any information that would allow people to do so.  I'm doing this so we *can* help you Smiley

I understand this now. I should not have posted this thread. I'm seeing gibberish in the wallet records and blockchain that is not only impossible, but also counter intuitive and self-conflicting. I'm writing it off as a loss because it's not going to get solved since there is no way I can contact Blockchain.info about it, and they can't do anything anyway because they don't control the keys. I'm simply out of luck.

Sent big pile of BTC to Address A at Blockchain.info. Received it, as expected. Created address B on Blockchain.info. Sent Small amount of BTC through their send-mixer-thingy to Address B. Never happened.

At EXACTLY the same moment, Address C appeared out of nowhere.

All money sent to Address A 12 hours ago now shows as having never been sent to Address A, but having been sent to Address C. Simultaneously, records also show that the remaining balance from Address A was sent to Address C. Impossible for both to be true. Impossible for a transaction that was approx 60 confirmations deep to just go poof. Impossible that a transaction appro 60 tx deep in blocks just poof, isn't there anymore. Impossible that it suddenly shows the very same amount of BTC attached to this magical new address. Impossible that I would be in possession of said magically created address... Which I why I suspect it's one of those weird book-keeping sends that bitcoind just decides to do on it's own. It's the only thing that makes sense. But, nothing is confirming... It's like it's like both txs are immune to being included in a block...

The BTC sent to Address B and Address C will not confirm. I possess all addresses in question. I haven't technically lost anything. It just isn't being included in any blocks...

Bottom line, I tested it twice before I trusted it with my pile of money, and it went totally wonky the second I used a large amount of money. Oh well. Don't use Blockchain.info. Apparently, I sent my own BTC to a pair of my own addresses (apparently; one intentional, the other magical), but the transactions won't confirm, so it's lost now.

This is "Address C:" https://blockchain.info/address/1L9iqHuAxe6mGYYP5ksM46cs4vt9Lr6as1

I never sent that amount. I've never seen the "from" addresses. It is the balance of what WAS on Address A.

This is "Address A:" https://blockchain.info/address/1Hmpf43EcRMSMd6MMxGLtojFWCYCjXEHQU

I have no idea why this transaction is for so many BTC. It was a much, much smaller number that I told it to send, and I told it to send to Address B. Address C didn't even exist at the time, and was magically created at this very moment.

This is "Address B:" https://blockchain.info/address/1DaoC2iHsEuQV3LSEwgyzvpbSUA1wqH5Ce

While I don't understand exactly what you are trying to describe, it sounds like you might fundamentally misunderstand how bitcoin works, and/or how blockchain mixer works. BTW: last time I checked blockchain did say that for larger amounts of bitcoin you might have to wait awhile for the transaction, no? Also, maybe some of the inputs haven't yet confirmed themselves, meaning your coins aren't confirming. Or better yet- your C address is some sort of change address. It's hard to figure out from what you said is happening, but it sounds more like a misunderstanding of how bitcoin works then a problem with blockchain. Give it a couple days, the transaction if it doesn't confirm by then will fall out of the memory pool and you can start over.

But........if you don't have 2FA, and more importantly: A Yubikey, then all bets are off. There is some clever fucking maleware out there these days.

more or less retired.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 07:37:07 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 09:39:20 PM by BurtW

The good news is that the transaction that tried to move the coins out of address A to address C will never confirm, eventually it will get dropped and your coins will go back to address A.

Just mellow out and wait.

Due to the way blockchain.info diplays information when the window is resized I misunderstood what I was looking at.  My bad.  The transaction is now confirmed.

Is everything OK now?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:37:54 PM

Oh like how being a know it all is asking to get punched.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
digimag

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:42:09 PM

Okay, first of all, the transaction is still unconfirmed, so it's normal that you don't have access to your money yet. The reason is that some of the previous related transaction weren't confirmed because of their low priority, like this one:

https://blockchain.info/fr/tx/a2c9b4d169150c565ba67865caf4ef998f2276eb588c5e9001b4180456613264

(it was made 8 hours ago and will be confirmed in 6 blocks because it's medium priority)

I would advise to still wait a couple of hours, and if you have the private key of the address C, you're good.

P.S. You should take seriously the advice about using a 2-factor authentification for your own security, even if your account was probably not hacked.

digimag

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:43:48 PM

The good news is that the transaction that tried to move the coins out of address A to address C will never confirm, eventually it will get dropped and your coins will go back to address A.

Just mellow out and wait.
Why do you think it will never confirm? It just depends on previous low-priority transactions that are still awaiting confirmation.

EDIT: the transaction I posted above just got included in a block. So you should get your money pretty soon.

EDIT2: your transactions are confirmed now. So everything is ok?

camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 10:22:34 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 10:34:30 PM by camosoul

While I don't understand exactly what you are trying to describe, it sounds like you might fundamentally misunderstand how bitcoin works, and/or how blockchain mixer works. BTW: last time I checked blockchain did say that for larger amounts of bitcoin you might have to wait awhile for the transaction, no? Also, maybe some of the inputs haven't yet confirmed themselves, meaning your coins aren't confirming. Or better yet- your C address is some sort of change address. It's hard to figure out from what you said is happening, but it sounds more like a misunderstanding of how bitcoin works then a problem with blockchain. Give it a couple days, the transaction if it doesn't confirm by then will fall out of the memory pool and you can start over.

But........if you don't have 2FA, and more importantly: A Yubikey, then all bets are off. There is some clever fucking maleware out there these days.

Custom Gentoo OS. There's no malware here...

Not a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, but an observation of it not working the way it's supposed to, or at least Blockchain.info showing me stuff that makes no damn sense at all.

It's started to get confirmations. But the question still remains, why did a transaction occur which I never initiated, why was it sent to an address I never created, why was this address created, and why and how did I end up in possession of said address... Address C was not of my making. The transaction in which the balance of Address A was sent to Address C is something I did not do, hence the confusion and panic post. Why did this unrequested transaction to said made-up address take so many hours to get included in a block? Address B still doesn't show anything being sent to it, it's not even noted on the network as ever being used at all, even thought that is the only address I actually sent some coin to!

All of my coin is currently present and accounted for, but I'm not touching a damn thing until there's a rational explanation for WTF just happened!

As soon as I posted this, the whole Address A to C sending thing was erased from Blockchain.info. Balance is proper, the C address still has the coin on it... Still no conclusion tot hat magic. But it's no longer displayed as being "sent" from A to C... Effing bizarre... I think this is just an internal balance send, or a change send... But Blockchain.info handles the display of it in such a screwed up way as to freak me out... Holy sh!t man... Ever been told you just lost $30,000 for no reason without having MtGox to blame? :-p I did not enjoy this.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

All of my coin is currently present and accounted for, but I'm not touching a damn thing until there's a rational explanation for WTF just happened!

Alcohol?

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 10:38:35 PM

Alcohol?

Lol, I wish. I might take up drinking if this happens again... Holy cow... Maybe Blockchain.info is drinking, or just having a good laugh at my expense... This has been just plain bizarre. It makes sense for people to think I don't understand how it works or phished, etc., because I'm describing to you things that make no damn sense... Yet it happened...

My best guess at this point is that the Blockchain.info interface just went wonky, nothing nefarious, possibly just a very poor/misleading/unexpected handling of a rare event possibly not observed in testing...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul (OP)

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 10:45:40 PM

You should take seriously the advice about using a 2-factor authentification for your own security, even if your account was probably not hacked.

I should, but the only functional 2-factor security I've seen, involves total disposal of anonymity. I let Coinbase send me txt messages at every login, required for confirmation of every trade or send. But txt messaging my phone when I'm using a mixer, hmmm.... Seems to defeat the concept, eh? ;-)

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
medji

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:53:19 PM

Anyone has a reasonable explanation besides op is drunk?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: