Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:00:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Step by step cold storage that complete noobs can do  (Read 2967 times)
FreedomFeens (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:54:43 PM

Its a bit long winded but thats because i approached it from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about bitcoin.  If you do not already have your coins in cold storage, please do so.  Only leave in online wallets what you need to transact for the day with.  It looks complicated, but after you do it once, you can do it no problem.  Print off lots of paper wallets at a time so you don't have to do it again for a long time.  Be safe out there!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1u5yn6/easy_to_use_guide_how_to_get_bitcoin_safely_store/

Vitamin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:04:01 AM

Can't you just keep your wallet in an encrypted container and then disconnect your laptop from WiFi after storing a back up wallet on a flash drive ? Smiley

n00bie wins.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:17:03 AM

Good post...I think this can be helpful for a lot of people...
yashin

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:23:56 AM

"How to import(bring back into an online wallet) offline bitcoin for use in commerce:
IMPORTANT: WHEN IMPORTING FROM A PAPER OFFLINE WALLET, YOU MUST IMPORT THE ENTIRE AMOUNT OF THE OFFLINE WALLET. IMPORTING A FRACTION OF IT WILL CAUSE THE REMAINING BALANCE TO BE LOST FOREVER."

cant stress this enough.
dharmapuriharithaa

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:53:26 AM

That link is very helpful for newbie like me.

jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:23:56 AM

"How to import(bring back into an online wallet) offline bitcoin for use in commerce:
IMPORTANT: WHEN IMPORTING FROM A PAPER OFFLINE WALLET, YOU MUST IMPORT THE ENTIRE AMOUNT OF THE OFFLINE WALLET. IMPORTING A FRACTION OF IT WILL CAUSE THE REMAINING BALANCE TO BE LOST FOREVER."

cant stress this enough.

Into bitcoin-qt.

Fortunately other clients (including blockchain.info) have a more sensible implementation. But to stress - read and understand how your client works.

In any case, you should import the full amount because it's not paper anymore once the private key hits an online system.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:54:44 PM

Not easy at all, in fact there are still no way to secure the coin for noobs. All these require certain kind of IT competence and from time to time they still lose their coin/password

corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:06:10 PM

There is a similar approach described here

http://falkvinge.net/2014/02/10/placing-your-crypto-wealth-in-cold-storage-installing-armory-on-ubuntu/

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:16:15 PM

Best method is to use an offline computer and bitaddress.org then use a punch and a piece of metal to stamp the generated private and public keys onto the metal. Make two copies, one in a bank safe or similar and one in your own safe. Keys can be encrypted for added security but dont forget the password.
CanIHazCoins

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:28:42 PM

Why do I need a brand new USB drive that has been never used before!?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:47:55 PM

I think offline Armory on a live Ubuntu USB is the easiest, most secure, and most convenient solution right now. 

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
RawDog
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 04:04:36 PM

This is only necessary for the crazy wicked extremely paranoid.  You'll probably do fine by just reformatting an old one 17 times before using it.  

The OP doesn't consider the fact that the new USB may have been prepared with a bitcoin stealing virus by the guy who sold it at Radio Shack.  New USBs are also not safe.  The only true way to be safe is to go to the beach and get some sand and make a USB drive and use that one.  Be sure not to let anyone near the sand before you form it into a USB drive.

*Image Removed* *Expletive Removed*  *Obsenity Removed*
What's going on - Slavetards?!!!
Watch my videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE43M1Z8Iew  1FuckYouc6zrtHbnqcHdhrSVhcxgpJgfds
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:52:35 PM

rawdog - is that you from youtube Huh
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:56:40 PM

This is only necessary for the crazy wicked extremely paranoid.  You'll probably do fine by just reformatting an old one 17 times before using it.  

The OP doesn't consider the fact that the new USB may have been prepared with a bitcoin stealing virus by the guy who sold it at Radio Shack.  New USBs are also not safe.  The only true way to be safe is to go to the beach and get some sand and make a USB drive and use that one.  Be sure not to let anyone near the sand before you form it into a USB drive.

Now I have a good reason to go to the beach!

Space for rent if its still trending
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:09:58 PM

maybe use various ways of keeping coins - eggs and baskets...

like use a tapewriter to print an Electrum seed on a plastic strip, and drop it into a clear block of resin to make it a paperweight type thing...

you could also upload the seed to the cloud...

keep it in different forms
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 03:48:14 PM

I like the Piper:  http://piperwallet.com

If you never connect it to a network, then all the paper wallets you print have to be safe.  It prints on thermal paper so I just use a my multi purpose printer/scanner to make a copy.

If you only want to secure a few hundred dollars of BTC this may be too much, but if you are going to secure more then its worth every penny.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:07:16 PM

Can't you just keep your wallet in an encrypted container and then disconnect your laptop from WiFi after storing a back up wallet on a flash drive ? Smiley

n00bie wins.

if you have more than 2BTC ... you can use a laptop ONLY for bitcoin-QT (without anything like flash, java or other non-installed tool).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: