Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:12:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Tells Me Mark Karpeles Could Care Less  (Read 1687 times)
rat (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:31:23 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 01:44:11 AM by rat

honestly.

nothing about this guy speaks to remorse or shame.

it's like he's just going to disappear into the night.
Coins4life

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:42:47 AM

honestly.

Sounds about right but since he is an easily recognizable character and the bitcoin community is so widespread and resourceful, he will always be found.
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:43:57 AM

It is odd. Many people were left in complete disbelief at his behaviour (if not the final outcome).

It is possible he has had some kind of breakdown, I mean people have lost millions and he's talking about his cat sat on his keyboard and how he drinks too much coke.  Huh

The other possibility is that the cold wallet or MtGox was somehow threatened and this is all an elaborate ploy to hide the funds from whomever (the US? the Japanese authorities? Coinlab lawsuit?). Pretty slim chance on that one.
DarwinNexus

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:52:44 AM

I'm pretty sure he's insulated from the severity of his crimes when he's across the Pacific.

I would like to see him once he lands in the States and is put in a penitentiary.
That will be a glorious day.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:06:57 AM

honestly.

My attitude (which is, I think, the most correct one) is that we are all just playing a game with an experimental new crypto thing.  Every game has it's winners and it's losers.  If someone put in more money than they can comfortably afford to lose, or managed their resources and expectations inappropriately, that is mostly their own problem.

Karpeles probably feels more or less the same way.  He probably feels bad and has some regrets, but I'll bet his attitude is closer to 'could not care less' than it is to becoming all suicidal or something over the weight of the responsibility for the losses.

Besides, Mt. Gox's failures and the losses the customers will probably be shouldering are very much a result of the actions of Coinlab.  Were it not for Vessenes direct actions and influences (but as the CEO of Coinlab and executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation) it is very likely that Mt. Gox and their customers would be just fine.  I'd bet money that he had a hand in the the U.S. Govt's grabbing $5M of Gox's funds...and of course he grabbed another $5M all by himself.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:39:46 AM

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:44:53 AM

OP:   Couldn't*  care less.   If he could care less, then he cares.

If you just watch the guys body language in that protest video, its very telling. 

He's (no offense to anyone) clearly a Magic the Gathering geek, who really never was that great at social interactions, communicating, or interacting with people in general.

He's probably pretty shy, and maybe even has asbergers.  Or something similar. 

There may (big may) be an element of sociopath there as well.  The complete lack of empathy/sympathy/emotion is extremely, extremely abnormal, but very common for psychopaths and sociopaths.

The way he walks like a robot, has no emotion, bumps into the guy, tries to move around him, all the while not moving his umbrella, making no facial expression, holding his starbucks ....

This may just be how he is. 

Along with that would come ridiculous comments about getting fat and repeated mentions of his cat.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
david64

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:48:47 PM

The way he walks like a robot, has no emotion, bumps into the guy, tries to move around him, all the while not moving his umbrella, making no facial expression, holding his starbucks ....

I was thinking the same, and agree his body language and actions flount that he doesn't care he has badly affected many people.

However, he has also ruined his own life. He is a laughing stock. No company he holds and executive position will ever be taken seriously, anything he starts himself is going to be unviable. He may be able to get a programming job somewhere, but he will be the laughing stock of that place. He will go down as the next Bernie Madoff, but humiliatingly, as completely incompetent.

However, could it not be possible that he will also end up in prison? He's been lying about Gox's financials for some time.
frito

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:04:10 PM

I was thinking the same, and agree his body language and actions flount that he doesn't care he has badly affected many people.

However, he has also ruined his own life. He is a laughing stock. No company he holds and executive position will ever be taken seriously, anything he starts himself is going to be unviable. He may be able to get a programming job somewhere, but he will be the laughing stock of that place. He will go down as the next Bernie Madoff, but humiliatingly, as completely incompetent.

However, could it not be possible that he will also end up in prison? He's been lying about Gox's financials for some time.
he is loaded, he does not have to work for s%it ever.
He coudl pay gox customers from his coffers and still buy a small island.
and thats exactly what he should do.
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:08:05 PM

He probably cares, just completely unable to deal with social situations. It also doesnt feel good to know that a large portion of people you used to call freinds have washed their hands of you and and even worse probably want you dead. Im sure the truth will come out in good time but what were you expecting? Him to start sobbing at a press conference where they are announcing bankruptcy protection??
techstorm3

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:09:04 PM

That would be too much responsibility for him!

Cheesy
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:11:16 PM

This deserves to be here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=477704.msg5426443#msg5426443
broolstoryco

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Enemy of the State

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:14:35 PM

so this means we're getting our money back, right?
david64

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:28:31 PM

so this means we're getting our money back, right?

I think the best way we can get our money back is via using the good name of Mark Karpeles to print into being our new fortunes:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=492305.new
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:16:24 PM

honestly.

Karpeles probably feels more or less the same way.  He probably feels bad and has some regrets, but I'll bet his attitude is closer to 'could not care less' than it is to becoming all suicidal or something over the weight of the responsibility for the losses.
Intentional or not... I like what you did there  Tongue

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Musent

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:21:01 PM

If you look closely, he has a small smile on his face when he is bowing.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:47:38 PM

Everyone COULD care less.  The correct phrase is COULDN'T CARE LESS.  Sorry, it's one of my pet peeves.

Mark has the coins from this heist, as well as the one in 2011, secreted away.  He feels compelled to make it seem like they're lost, so that he doesn't have to hand them over to the Feds.  

The bankruptcy will keep him safe from creditors of the legal mostly law-abiding type.  And he has enough coins to hand off to the Russian Mob to make them whole again -- perhaps in exchange for his freedom/life.  

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:52:05 PM

He is a psychopath, seriously.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:53:05 PM

How do you know?

He just seems like a typical overweight, shy nerd to me

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:55:40 PM

How do you know?
Didn't you know, even people who couldn't spot a fucked company given 2 years of evidence are geniuses at identifying and classifying mental illness even with under 5 minutes of footage of the subject.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: