Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:38:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple gpu-threads in cgminer  (Read 3574 times)
Jonsu (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:50:40 AM

I have two graphics card, one r9 290 and a 6950, running on one instance of cgminer 3.5.2.

I noticed that the r9 290 runs best with gpu-threads: "2" and the 6950 does best with 1 thread (it fails to run at 2).

So is there a way to configure each individual card its own value without having to run two instances of cgminer??

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:53:15 AM

I have two graphics card, one r9 290 and a 6950, running on one instance of cgminer 3.5.2.

I noticed that the r9 290 runs best with gpu-threads: "2" and the 6950 does best with 1 thread (it fails to run at 2).

So is there a way to configure each individual card its own value without having to run two instances of cgminer??

Thanks in advance!

BFGMiner 4.0 (due Soon Now) has this ability. If you want to give it a shot you can compile from the current Git source code.

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
Jonsu (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:57:45 AM

Thanks in advance!

BFGMiner 4.0 (due Soon Now) has this ability. If you want to give it a shot you can compile from the current Git source code.

I'm not sure if I can do that on my own lol... Do you mind making a tiny tutorial?
nwoolls

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 02:02:06 AM

I'm not sure if I can do that on my own lol... Do you mind making a tiny tutorial?

If it's for Windows you can download it from here:

http://luke.dashjr.org/tmp/code/webisect/webisect.php?dobuild=bfgminer

It lets you pass in comma-delimited values for --gpu-threads.

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:02:51 AM

Skip BFG, and go straight for SGMiner. It's built and designed for scrypt GPU mining, and already has this feature added. Best part is you don't have to build it, as there are already pre-built versions floating around. Just check the official LTC forum for download links.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Jonsu (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:07:13 AM

Skip BFG, and go straight for SGMiner. It's built and designed for scrypt GPU mining, and already has this feature added. Best part is you don't have to build it, as there are already pre-built versions floating around. Just check the official LTC forum for download links.

I probably will skip it (sorry nwoolls) but doesn't mean I won't look more into it later on.

What else should I know about sgminer on windows? I just had cgminer to play with.
nwoolls

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 02:09:00 AM

It is not "built and designed for scrypt GPU mining" any more than cgminer or bfgminer. It's a copy of them with ASIC support removed and a handful of optimizations added. The noteable ones have already been added to bfgminer.

If you want a scrypt-only, GPU-only miner (for some reason) go for it.

Edit: In fact, if you look at the SGMiner commits, they are pulling in code from BFGMiner including Luke's recent OpenCL fixes.

Edit #2: I have nothing against SGMiner btw. I just don't personally see a reason for a GPU-only, Scrypt only miner (SGMiner) just like I don't personally see a reason for a ASIC-only, SHA only miner (CGMiner). Especially if there aren't tangible benefits. I also don't think it's particularly productive to create yet another fork of a miner when there are already several in active development.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:42:38 AM

It is not "built and designed for scrypt GPU mining" any more than cgminer or bfgminer. It's a copy of them with ASIC support removed and a handful of optimizations added. The noteable ones have already been added to bfgminer.

If you want a scrypt-only, GPU-only miner (for some reason) go for it.

Edit: In fact, if you look at the SGMiner commits, they are pulling in code from BFGMiner including Luke's recent OpenCL fixes.

Edit #2: I have nothing against SGMiner btw. I just don't personally see a reason for a GPU-only, Scrypt only miner (SGMiner) just like I don't personally see a reason for a ASIC-only, SHA only miner (CGMiner). Especially if there aren't tangible benefits. I also don't think it's particularly productive to create yet another fork of a miner when there are already several in active development.

You contradict yourself, and none of your post make sense. I suppose I should have expected that from a LJR fanboy. How is SGMiner not "built and designed for scrypt GPU mining" when you yourself called it "a scrypt-only, GPU-only miner".

It's more than just CGMiner with the USB/FPGA/ASIC stuff removed. Yes, they stripped down all the SHA256 stuff, but also added much more, before LJR did. They fixed the R9 290 crashing-when-closing issue. They added the comma-separated-threads issue for different cards. They've since added multiple kernels. On my 280x, we use the Zuikkis scrypt kernel, which is different than the kernel we use for our 290. They've also added xIntensity, and rAwIntensity, both of which are awesome for tweaking. In short, it's the cgminer for scrypt that people always wanted.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Wanesst

Activity: 421
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:30:43 PM

There is nothing else I should know about sgminer on windows. Thanks for good info!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: