Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:13:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Louisiana Makes It Illegal To Use Cash For Secondhand Sales  (Read 5226 times)
Andrew Bitcoiner (OP)

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 05:40:33 PM

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111019/17424316421/louisiana-makes-it-illegal-to-use-cash-secondhand-sales.shtml

Expect the Fed to enforce this or try to make it mandatory across America.  IMO another sign that the Federal Reserve Note is losing its grip by introducing strong arm laws like this.

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 05:42:46 PM

Wow... they're really desperate now.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:32:05 PM

Any knows if this is again any federal laws, or the constitution has any say in this?

Is bitcoin included in this definition?

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 06:37:53 PM

I'd like to know how they intend to enforce this...this law will end up turning the majority of Louisiana residents into criminals.  I think once >50% of the population is considered an outlaw by the government, you've reached a point where it's not the people that are the outlaws, it's the state.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
fivebells

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:41:28 PM

Expect the Fed to enforce this or try to make it mandatory across America.  IMO another sign that the Federal Reserve Note is losing its grip by introducing strong arm laws like this.
This has nothing to do with the Fed...
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 08:08:20 PM

This has nothing to do with the Fed...
It is ironic that a state has now passed a law making it illegal (in some cases) to use the FED's currency.  I think you could make a case that this law contradicts the federal legal tender laws.  Especially if you exchange these goods for credit that the buyer later wishes to settle with FRNs.  Later could be a few seconds.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 08:14:52 PM

WOW,  i couldn't believe it until I read the article, and the subsequent snippet of the law

Code:
A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller.

This is not legal, the surpeme court would squash this in a minute, it clear states on our money "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."   which the article also states..

just simply crazy!!!!

edit:  by the way,  "shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers,"  makes it legal to use bitcoin!!!

2nd edit:    The title should be    lOUISIANA LEGALIZES BITCOINS

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 08:24:44 PM

WOW,  i couldn't believe it until I read the article, and the subsequent snippet of the law

Code:
A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller.

This is not legal, the surpeme court would squash this in a minute, it clear states on our money "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."   which the article also states..

just simply crazy!!!!

edit:  by the way,  "shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers,"  makes it legal to use bitcoin!!!

2nd edit:    The title should be    lOUISIANA LEGALIZES BITCOINS

Or they can just make another law to ban bitcoins or any "electronic" money. I mean if they ban cold hard cash from Fed, they can ban anything they want.

They should ban citizenship certificate and issue their own citizenship.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 08:36:02 PM

They picked the wrong state to test this in. Ever see a Coon-Ass riled? (or Coonass, or Coon-ass)

The article states it's for the betterment of law enforcement. I'm surprised they weren't able to to inject how it'll be better for the children.

I see it as a money grab: Able to collect more sales and income tax, coupled with less junk being sold, thereby more purchases of new shit from CHINA, then...wait for it...able to collect more sales and income tax.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:06:55 PM

I literally LOL  when I seen this pic...  good one.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
mr chong

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:17:09 PM

Federal law trumps state law every time so they will have a hard time keeping this law on the books.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 12:53:57 AM

Is pi still defined π=3.0 in Louisiana?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 01:23:17 AM

it clear states on our money "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."  
A debt is not the same thing as a payment.  A merchant is within his rights to refuse your cash if he hasn't yet sold you the item.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 02:53:11 AM

Screw them circles, anyway! Triangles are where it's at.

cm = Coin Miner

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 03:01:10 AM

Thats the trouble with government issued money - they can take it away at any time.

I read an article not long ago about the black/grey market in the US approaching $1 trillion last year which means there's a whole lot of people ignoring current laws. If bitcoin just gets a percentage of that it will be good.

rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:16:29 AM

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111019/17424316421/louisiana-makes-it-illegal-to-use-cash-secondhand-sales.shtml

END THE FED! STATES RIGH-  er. Uh... wait.

Quote from: netrin

That was an urban legend, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even Louisiana in the urban legend. I think Georgia or Tennessee or something.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:33:27 AM

As we speak, Phinnaeus's renegade criminal grandmother is constructing a speakeasy-style yard sale in her basement
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:38:44 AM

Also, I'm still confused how this law is "The Fed"'s doing. Yeah they are a dishonest organization run by the worst members of America's private sector, but they are some shadowy cabal that is directing Louisiana state law, as if your ability to pay your friend $20 for his old N64 will undermine their "power".

Anyways, this will get struck the fuck down by the Supreme Court, since cash is legal tender for all transactions in the US.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 05:18:40 AM

I bet you can buy moonshine with cash still.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

As we speak, Phinnaeus's renegade criminal grandmother is constructing a speakeasy-style yard sale in her basement

NOW YOU'VE GONE TO FAR, JeffK. My grandmother, Guinan, sent you a special invitation for opening night at The 1337 Room in her basement. Now that you've let the cat out of the bag, she has no choice but to move it to my aunt's barn. Your special invite is now null and void.

It's only because you're an outstanding member on this board, I offer you another location to bide your time. It's a speckuneasy in Georgetown, Texas. To find it, simply fly over town and look for the letters K.I.V.A on the roof.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: