Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:48:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blew a capacitor, now the 7950 runs hot?  (Read 844 times)
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:06:42 AM

I have one mining PC with 2 HIS Ice-Q 7950s in it.  They are identical cards with sequential serial numbers.  They have always mined very well.  I usually keep them in the 620-640 Khash range and don't try to push them too hard.  

Today I came home from work, and their computer was off.  Not just idle, but all the way off.  The power didn't go out, because my alarm clock will be blinking if the power goes out for even an instant.

It took a few tries and on-offs of the power supplies master switch to get the computer going again, but when it did, I heard a SNAP/ POP sound and saw a puff of smoke come off one capacitor on one GPU.

It still mines but it is getting way hotter than it used to, these 2 7950's were twins and ran near identical speeds and temps until today.  Now one was up 13 degrees Celsius under a normal load.

The capacitor that blew was on the back of the board in the VRM / voltage regulation part of the board, number C823.  Could be C623, they make the numbers so damn small, but I'm fairly sure it's C823, out in the middle of the board on the backside from where the rows of capacitors are and the black metal heat sink there on the opposite side of the board.

So what blew and why?  Just a bad part?  I've been hashing coins hard on these GPUs since about September of 2013, with a month off while I moved.

I could replace the capacitor if I knew the value of the part that died, or RMA / return it.  I used to do electronics tech work and replacing an SMT cap is no big deal to me.  I just wonder if there are other bad parts now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:09:40 AM

I bet you lost a VRM and now the other ones are working overtime

I would RMA if you can

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:52:11 PM

Yeah, I think that's the only solution.  I wonder why it failed.  It did have several months of 24 hour 100% hashing load on it, maybe that's it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: