Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:05:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Can I Help?  (Read 1328 times)
hazzey (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:25:41 AM

I have only recently started with bitcoin. 

So far I have followed the (seemingly) typical progression of:
1-Interesting idea, I'll check it out.
2-Ooooh free "money" [mining]
3-What is this "generate bitcoins"? [standard client]
4-This is slow..no coins generated
5-[read forums]...
6-[read forums]...
7-[read forums]...
8-I don't have a GPU that will run the client, CPU mining isn't worth it.
9-What is next?

I am pretty sure that I understand the basics of how bitcoins work.  My question is what can I do to help the movement without generating coins?  My options seem to be to either use bitcoins or help in some other way. 

I am not selling anything, so I can't accept them as payment.
I do not have any bitcoins so I can't buy anything if I could find something that was for sale. (I haven't looked.)
My chances of mining bitcoins are slim/non-existent with CPU-only mining. Joining a pool could help this slightly.
From what I understand about how the network works, just being "connected" with the standard client doesn't really add much value. I could start a dedicated connection only (no mining) node, but does that help?
I have already made a couple of tweaks to the wiki.

What else is there for someone to do?

Thanks for your comments.

Hazzey

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:33:58 AM

I am not selling anything, so I can't accept them as payment.
I do not have any bitcoins so I can't buy anything if I could find something that was for sale. (I haven't looked.)
Buy Bitcoins with fiat money or work for Bitcoins. See this for buying.

Also, you will not help by mining if it only costs you. You would only push out more efficient miners out of the market who do it purely for profit.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:34:08 AM

Sell goods and services!  Grin

The bitcoin economy can't exists without people peddling their goods and services for bitcoin!

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:57:01 AM

From what I understand about how the network works, just being "connected" with the standard client doesn't really add much value. I could start a dedicated connection only (no mining) node, but does that help?

Actually, it does help if you can open port 8333 on your router.  Even machines which are not mining still pass transactions around.  It improves the connectivity of the network.  Some people are stuck behind firewalls and depend on others accepting inbound connections.

If you are any good at programming, there are plenty of projects under development.  If nothing else, you could buy some Bitcoins and add to one of the bounties.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 05:08:24 AM

hazzey, we can't help you unless you help us first. Tells us what you are good at doing (doesn't have to be anything related to Bitcoin) and we'll help you find something meaningful to do that earns you some coin.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 05:31:10 AM

edit the wiki, write articles.

spread it on other forums.

come up with new ideas for websites.

help noobs out
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 08:18:10 AM

Also, you will not help by mining if it only costs you. You would only push out more efficient miners out of the market who do it purely for profit.
I'm running 9Mh/s in a pool, is this somehow hurting someone with 600Mh/s solo mining?
Does inefficent mining push the difficulty up?
is the fact that I'm setteling my inefficency with fiat instead of making a pure bitcoin profit any different than using that fiat directly on an exchange?

Sorry I just don't buy the idea that inefficent mining hurts the network
But if it really does can you please explain why. thnx

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

hazzey (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 11:49:52 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I guess that I will look further into what is being bought/sold as that seems to be where the most help is needed.  From the looks of this forum and the mining forum, the software/programing/mining side is in good hands (and I'm not a strong enough programmer to help).

I did have a question about how useful having an open port 8333 will be to the community as a whole.

Actually, it does help if you can open port 8333 on your router.  Even machines which are not mining still pass transactions around.  It improves the connectivity of the network.  Some people are stuck behind firewalls and depend on others accepting inbound connections.

If you are any good at programming, there are plenty of projects under development.  If nothing else, you could buy some Bitcoins and add to one of the bounties.

Since the method of peer discovery is supposed to be mostly random and the network needs to avoid single points of failure, one more "open" node adds little individual value (something like 1/(# open nodes) ).  Is there any benefit to running an open node on a dedicated server (static ip, long uptimes, etc) as opposed to a normal home, dynamic connection?  Will that dedicated node get 200+ connections and be a valuable nexus in the network?  Is there a way to see how many transactions my node has helped pass along?

Thanks,

Hazzey
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2011, 12:27:04 PM

I'm running 9Mh/s in a pool, is this somehow hurting someone with 600Mh/s solo mining?
Does inefficent mining push the difficulty up?
is the fact that I'm setteling my inefficency with fiat instead of making a pure bitcoin profit any different than using that fiat directly on an exchange?

Sorry I just don't buy the idea that inefficent mining hurts the network
But if it really does can you please explain why. thnx

There's a thread about it some where, I'll find it and link it to you when I get time.
At this point if you're getting coins and not losing money on electricity might as well keep it up.

To the OP, just spreading the word helps but there were some other suggestions like helping newbs, editing the wiki and buying things in BTC that were good. You can use coinpal to convert USD to BTC and buy something if you find something you want or need.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 01:32:00 PM

Sell goods and services!  Grin

The bitcoin economy can't exists without people peddling their goods and services for bitcoin!

This is the best thing you can do to help. Sell your old stuff on Biddingpond or the bitcoin-otc IRC channel.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: