Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:19:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *DJ Mt. Gox Lawyer: Filed For Bankruptcy Protection Y6.5B Debt - updated  (Read 18294 times)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:47:57 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 03:00:45 PM by cryptoanarchist

The cold wallets and much of MT Gox fiat funds are being held by the US government. This is continued fall out from SR and Bitinstant.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/1z2xo5/speculation_the_us_government_has_control_of_goxs/

If the Government is left continue as they wish without the community voicing opposition.

The best outcome is that those who cannot be connected with SR will eventually get their BTC back.

The worst outcome is that the government won't give anyones BTC back.

Additionally JP Morgan is involved in trying to destroy Mt Gox /Mark and even the Bitcoin economy. The Bitcoin community needs to come together as one in this time of need. They are trying to divide and conquer us.

This actually sounds pretty plausible, and the more I read the reddit post, the more convinced of it I'm becoming. I mean, who's better at stealing from people than the US government??

If true, I'd have to take back all the nasty things I've said about Mark.  Undecided

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitjedi

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:48:16 PM

They physically seized the cold wallets and put Mark under a gag order. There is no way that 750+ bitcoins could have been stolen without being noticed. Mark was always strongly against the idea of running fractional reserve and there was monthly account auditing. 90%+ of the BTC was kept in cold storage in case of a hack.

I think you are very deluded and it's probable that most of the theft happened at a time when the bitcoins were much lower in value and Gox never came out about it.

Please link the public monthly audit documents signed by an authorized accounting firm and sign a message with the private keys from the cold storage Gox accounts showing a balance of BTCs and I will shut up.
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 02:57:58 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 03:14:15 PM by caston

FUD FUD FUD, you have no proof that uncle sam took the cold wallets.

No but many intelligent members of the community have researched and sleuthed this and read between the lines with every shed of information they have been able to get about MtGox as well as all the information and events
that happened in lead-up to this. Remember that MtGox users and Bit-instant staff have been under investigation due to connections to SR. We do have a precedent for this as the US Gov seized the SR wallets and the wallets of other dealers after this. In their power trip they have also seized the entire collection of MtGox cold wallets as well as all the data. We will probably see further busts and arrests.

This is why Mark is under a gag order. If he let the word out it would tip off people that are currently under investigation.

The hope is that after the dust settles people that weren't dealing or buying drugs on SR and other black markets or involved in any other  crimes will get their BTC back. However I suspect we won't get the bitcoin back without a fight.

Unfortunately some elements of the financial establishment want to become dominant players in future of cryptocurrency and want to package this together with tighter regulation. Regulation that favors the existing financial establishment and make it almost impossible for small players to enter the market.

Remember the banks and the drugs cartels have a vested interest in crushing threats to their financial dominance such as bitcoins and markets like SR.

However in the future drug cartels will use cryptocurrencies instead of mountains of cash.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
chrisLG

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:02:34 PM

I think you are very deluded and it's probable that most of the theft happened at a time when the bitcoins were much lower in value and Gox never came out about it.

Please link the public monthly audit documents signed by an authorized accounting firm and sign a message with the private keys from the cold storage Gox accounts showing a balance of BTCs and I will shut up.

+1

THIS!

Emphasis: mine.
caston

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:04:19 PM

They physically seized the cold wallets and put Mark under a gag order. There is no way that 750+ bitcoins could have been stolen without being noticed. Mark was always strongly against the idea of running fractional reserve and there was monthly account auditing. 90%+ of the BTC was kept in cold storage in case of a hack.

I don't have those. I really wish I did! I would also like to get all the documents from LE leaked in regards to investigation into bitcoin since SR.

In the meantime I can link this to reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/1z2xo5/speculation_the_us_government_has_control_of_goxs/

caston

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:12:09 PM

This actually sounds pretty plausible, and the more I read the reddit post, the more convinced of it I'm becoming. I mean, who's better at stealing from people than the US government??

If true, I'd have to take back all the nasty things I've said about Mark.  Undecided

+1 What people are doing to Mark and MtGox employees is downright bullying and harassment. Even Cyber bullying is really hurtful but some people are stalking him and MtGox employees and their families in real life. This can not be tolerated. If we want to show the world that we are enlightened and civilized we need to give the people at MtGox the benefit of the doubt and do everything we can to resolve this mess for all people invested and involved. We need to step past all the anger and the blindless caused by that anger work on real solutions. Our enemies have been working to divide us and try to make us destroy each other.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:15:14 PM

It is important to remember. They have filed for bankruptcy protection not bankruptcy. If you want to know who has the cold wallet(s) with the 750k+ bitcoins you need to lodge an FOI with the US Government.

Mark is under a gag order and cannot give out this information himself.

i m not sure of what you are talking about

his company is in japan and follows japan rules.us gag orders or else are not effective there.

and also abankrupcy protection plan is done when a comapny is not able to pay it s bills/creditorst.the plan freezes all debtors and creditors and give time to the administrator in charge to come with a solution within a certain amount of time.

if the solution doesnt suits suitable then we go to the liquidation of the assets and redistribution

this is how it s works in real word

This is further fall out from SR. A lot of money was laundered through bitinstant and mtgox and then into SR. Marks biggest concern as he stated in the IRC chat log was not hackers but banks and governments.

BTW http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-bankruptcy-and-bankruptcy-protection/

The bankruptcy protection to help them avoid all the lawsuits. Currently Mark is fighting a battle on multiple fronts. It actually must feel like everyone in the world is against him both the Government and the community he is part of. In reality the damage to  Mt Gox and the bitcoin community was caused by the government. The government is then using this fallout as an excuse to crack down on and control bitcoin.

I hope people understand what I am saying here. We have to work with Mark not against him and we have to somehow convince the US government to release the cold wallet(s) so that MtGox bitcoin holders can get their funds back.

While people are frustrated that Mark has been so very vague with the information the problem is actually that he is under a gag order.

As for the US having jurisdiction in Japan I can't answer that one for you but likely the Japanese government put out a big welcome mat for them. 

No one would of disagreed with you
Had this not all been back room bullshit, kill withdraw's, but allowing deposit's. keeping the exchange open. etc.

A massive joke he turned it into, tight lipped, deleting his twitter feed.

He brought the hate upon himself with how he reacted to the situation.
gog1

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:15:48 PM

If true, I'd have to take back all the nasty things I've said about Mark.  Undecided

+1 What people are doing to Mark and MtGox employees is downright bullying and harassment. Even Cyber bullying is really hurtful but some people are stalking him and MtGox employees and their families in real life. This can not be tolerated. If we want to show the world that we are enlightened and civilized we need to give the people at MtGox the benefit of the doubt and do everything we can to resolve this mess for all people invested and involved. We need to step past all the anger and the blindless caused by that anger work on real solutions. Our enemies have been working to divide us and try to make us destroy each other.

stop being a mtgox shill, what happened so far is absolutely despicable.  He had treated his customer with contempt.  US gov't & transaction malleability are contributing factor to losses but the whole operation has been an absolute joke!
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:16:20 PM

there are people who have lost millions because of him what are you expect to do in this case?

not ask any question and accept that this bastard has make disappear your whole life savings?

i mean there is a lady in singapore who suicided because of him....

and also he kept lying to customers until the last day
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:17:40 PM

No but many intelligent members of the community have researched and sleuthed this and read between the lines with every shed of information they have been able to get about MtGox as well as all the information and events
that happened in lead-up to this. Remember that MtGox and Bit-instant (Charlie Shrem - BTCKing) have been under investigation due to connections to SR. We do have a precedent for this as the US Gov seized the SR wallets and the wallets of other dealers after this. In their power trip they have also seized the entire collection of MtGox cold wallets as well as all the data. We will probably see further busts and arrests.

This is why Mark is under a gag order. If he let the word out it would tip off people that are currently under investigation.

The hope is that after the dust settles people that weren't dealing or buying drugs on SR and other black markets or involved in any other  crimes will get their BTC back. However I suspect we won't get the bitcoin back without a fight.

Unfortunately some elements of the financial establishment want to become dominant players in future of cryptocurrency and want to package this together with tighter regulation. Regulation that favors the existing financial establishment and make it almost impossible for small players to enter the market.

Remember the banks and the drugs cartels have a vested interest in crushing threats to their financial dominance such as bitcoins and markets like SR.

However in the future drug cartels will use cryptocurrencies instead of mountains of cash.

You could have stopped there. You have no idea of what you are speaking about. If the coins were seized we would know and no gag order in the world would stop us from finding out. The coins were stolen and mismanaged and that's all there is to it.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:23:22 PM

that happened in lead-up to this. Remember that MtGox and Bit-instant (Charlie Shrem - BTCKing) have been under investigation due to connections to SR. We do have a precedent for this as the US Gov seized the SR wallets and the wallets of other dealers after this. In their power trip they have also seized the entire collection of MtGox cold wallets as well as all the data. We will probably see further busts and arrests.

The hope is that after the dust settles people that weren't dealing or buying drugs on SR and other black markets or involved in any other  crimes will get their BTC back. However I suspect we won't get the bitcoin back without a fight.

You could have stopped there. You have no idea of what you are speaking about. If the coins were seized we would know and no gag order in the world would stop us from finding out. The coins were stolen and mismanaged and that's all there is to it.

That kind of piss-poor reasoning makes you sound like a troll. Your statement is like this "You don't know what you're talking about! Things happened the way I say because I say so. I don't need any evidence!!"

That's pretty classical logical fallacy, troll-like behavior. Just the kind of talk you'd expect from a bankster/govt troll. Your posts actually prop up the theory you're trying to dismiss.

I'm grumpy!!
caston

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:42:01 PM

OK I agree with you that I need more evidence and damn it I hope to find it.

I'm not a shrill for mtgox. I have bitcoin in there and would like to see them back in my own local wallet. I hoped that this angle actually gave us hope of recovering our bitcoins and explained Marks recent behavior.

I know that a lot of the ways mtgox has been run has caused a lot of issues and problems but then again there have been huge problems with other major platforms and online services (ICQ, hotmail, facebook, Windows). Insufficient DDoS protection, trading engines that struggle under the load of media generated public hysteria. Banking delays and frozen funds and so on. Many of the problems were outside of Marks control but others he could have done better.

This doesn't mean that he lost or stole all the bitcoins though. Yes people have pent up anger and frustration because of issues they had with the platform but there are other bigger factors at play here. You don't start a revolution and expect the establishment to give up that easily.

shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:05:13 PM

OK I agree with you that I need more evidence and damn it I hope to find it.

I'm not a shrill for mtgox. I have bitcoin in there and would like to see them back in my own local wallet. I hoped that this angle actually gave us hope of recovering our bitcoins and explained Marks recent behavior.

The truth can be a tough pill to swallow in a tragic situation like this, but you just have to learn from your mistakes and move on.  I think you'll be very lucky if you get 50% of your funds reimbursed within a year.  You can cross your fingers and hope for the best, but expect the worst.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:15:32 PM

That kind of piss-poor reasoning makes you sound like a troll. Your statement is like this "You don't know what you're talking about! Things happened the way I say because I say so. I don't need any evidence!!"

That's pretty classical logical fallacy, troll-like behavior. Just the kind of talk you'd expect from a bankster/govt troll. Your posts actually prop up the theory you're trying to dismiss.

Actually, just because some super-sleuth reddit internet trolls have an idea does not mean it makes sense or has any validity.

you said"
"

The answer to your question is hackers and you will see when all the dust settles that the cold wallets have not been seized by the feds.

Furthermore, I'd like to know how "plausible" it is for the feds to slap a gag order on Mark, seize his coins, have the world hunting him, stalking him, his employees, outside his office, threats on the forum ect and Mark just stays quiet.. Not to mention going bankrupt, having the Manhattan DA investigating him ect ect ect ect ect.

I don't think he would go through all that. He would just spill the beans., It would have leaked if that was the case because in the end it would have been easy to prove if it had happened, which it did not.

The coins were stolen, and that's all there is to it.
Arbitrageur

Activity: 556

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:34:57 PM

where's the evidence they were stolen? stop with this bullishit, the blockchain is there, like an open book. show us how/when there were stolen and where did they go.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:00:54 PM

where's the evidence they were stolen? stop with this bullishit, the blockchain is there, like an open book. show us how/when there were stolen and where did they go.

+100 Internets
hamiltino

Activity: 644

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:06:29 PM

Actually, just because some super-sleuth reddit internet trolls have an idea does not mean it makes sense or has any validity.

you said"
"

The answer to your question is hackers and you will see when all the dust settles that the cold wallets have not been seized by the feds.

Furthermore, I'd like to know how "plausible" it is for the feds to slap a gag order on Mark, seize his coins, have the world hunting him, stalking him, his employees, outside his office, threats on the forum ect and Mark just stays quiet.. Not to mention going bankrupt, having the Manhattan DA investigating him ect ect ect ect ect.

I don't think he would go through all that. He would just spill the beans., It would have leaked if that was the case because in the end it would have been easy to prove if it had happened, which it did not.

The coins were stolen, and that's all there is to it.

We don't know what happened to the coins, its better to stop coming to conclusions as its presumptuous to do so.

Making claims that you do know make it seem to others that you have a clear agenda and you are trying to push it on everyone instead of them thinking for themselves. Don't be a shill.

stacking coin
dlasher

Activity: 467

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 09:46:59 PM

my favorite so far. Smiley
hardpick

Activity: 265

Football President

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 11:05:11 PM

"*DJ Mt. Gox Lawyer: 750,000 Bitcoin Held by Clients, 100,000 Held by Mt. Gox Mostly Missing"

this statement is not very clear

750,000 Bitcoin Held by Clients =     Mostly Missing ? or still held by client ?
100,000 Held by Mt. Gox Mostly Missing  = about 2000 left ?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:25:55 AM

(extended translation)

"AND FUCK YOU ALL! YOU IDIOTS... AND STOP SENDING MONEY TO ME! I WILL ANSWER NO QUESTIONS UNTIL IAM IN JAIL AND GET MY FRAUDOCHINO!"

wow , cant believe that he is so honest now  Shocked !

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: