Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:19:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should become shareholders of MtGox and save it!  (Read 2228 times)
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:24:19 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 01:10:50 PM by gollum

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1z6bpy/we_should_become_shareholders_of_mtgox_and_save_it/

I believe it is a great threat to the bitcoin community if MtGox fails by two simple reasons:

1. If the company goes bankrupt, the highest bidder may be a middleman for some criminal organization that buys the company for say 1 million dollars and uses the client database to scam people later on.
Or sells the data to NSA.

2. The bankruptcy itself will destroy the faith of many clients who have invested huge amounts of money and bitcoins in their MtGox account.
They might give up on bitcoin completely.

So as a bitcoiner I beg you to not wish the death of MtGox, instead we should help Mark to solve this mess.

My suggestion is as follows:

MtGox starts an IPO of 500 million dollars, and increases the share amount so Mark Karpeles only owns 1% of the company after the IPO.
The money you pay for the shares goes directly to the company, not to Mark.

500 million should be more than enough to cover:
-settle clients at bitcoin price of $500
-hire developers
-buy professional exchange system and back office from wall street technology firms

Company gets listed at Nasdaq and you sell your shares for a profit in a couple of years if you wish.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:35:07 PM

HOW?

I have heard people say this but How is this even possible? Where to start?

gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:39:04 PM

We should demand Mark to present this option and give it a couple of weeks, if they fail with the IPO they have to sell the company to the highest bidders who will liquidate what is left from the company (customer data)
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:45:14 PM

If we assume that 25% of the 1 million MtGox customers has a huge interest to save MtGox, and MtGox needs 500 million to get alive, that's just 3 bitcoins per client, or $1500 that they need to invest in MtGox shares.
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:48:18 PM

You're insane.

I would not give pocket change to anything even remotely related to Mark. He is obviously pathologically incompetent and dishonest.

Secondly - Bitcoin is supposed to be decentralised. If we cannot allow parts of the Bitcoin ecosystem to die off, we cannot make that claim. We should let MtGox die and use this as proof that the network, the community, the technology is decentralised and resilient.

Opting for the "too important to fail" position dramatically weakens the evolutionary process of Bitcoin services. It should fail, and fail fast. This is the market in operation.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:48:54 PM

I believe it is a great threat to the bitcoin community if MtGox fails by two simple reasons:

1. If the company goes bankrupt, the highest bidder may be a middleman for some criminal organization that buys the company for say 1 million dollars and uses the client database to scam people later on.

2. The bankruptcy itself will destroy the faith of many clients who have invested huge amounts of money and bitcoins in their MtGox account.

So as a bitcoiner I beg you to not wish the death of MtGox, instead we should help Mark to solve this mess.

MtGox starts an IPO of 500 million dollars, and increases the share amount so Mark Karpeles only owns 1% of the company after the IPO.

-hire developers
-buy professional exchange system and back office from wall street technology firms

Company gets listed at Nasdaq and you sell your shares for a profit in a couple of years if you wish.

i belive its honest approach and its also workable. People in mtgox should stand still and somehow clean this mess.
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:50:30 PM

You're insane.

I would not give pocket change to anything even remotely related to Mark. He is obviously pathologically incompetent and dishonest.

Secondly - Bitcoin is supposed to be decentralised. If we cannot allow parts of the Bitcoin ecosystem to die off, we cannot make that claim. We should let MtGox die and use this as proof that the network, the community, the technology is decentralised and resilient.

Opting for the "too important to fail" position dramatically weakens the evolutionary process of Bitcoin services. It should fail, and fail fast. This is the market in operation.
The difference between Wall street bailout, and an IPO bailout is that you have a choice to participate or not, nobody forces you to save MtGox.
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:51:44 PM

-hire developers

i belive its honest approach and its also workable. People in mtgox should stand still and somehow clean this mess.
I believe it to be the most fair solution, and some venture capital firms would probably buy a stake in this IPO, for them it will be a small bet.
techstorm3

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:52:06 PM

You're insane.

Exactly, isnt that the old model we're trying to replace, too big to fail!!

Let Gox die and bitcoin moves on as always, bitcoin is not gox and vice versa
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:54:58 PM

The difference between Wall street bailout, and an IPO bailout is that you have a choice to participate or not, nobody forces you to save MtGox.

There's a difference in the coercion used, but no difference in the damage it does to the long term health of the Bitcoin economy.

If I run an exchange, I shouldn't be thinking "if I screw up, an IPO will bail me out and all will be well".

gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:56:30 PM

There's a difference in the coercion used, but no difference in the damage it does to the long term health of the Bitcoin economy.

If I run an exchange, I shouldn't be thinking "if I screw up, an IPO will bail me out and all will be well".
No but IF you go for an IPO bailout you will lose your majority share holdings and the new shareholders will kick you out from the management.
raskul

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:56:47 PM

it would be preferable if all centralized exchanges failed. what we actually need is more p2p exchanges, not the reincarnation of a failed business, which died due to it's own incompetence.
gox has nothing to do with bitcoin (make this your mantra)

Wink

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:57:13 PM

Best to stay away form scam

5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 12:57:17 PM

I will also say that this should shake the faith people have in exchanges. One of Bitcoins failings is that it is increasingly being centralised, whether it's exchanges, mining pools etc. This is already driving alts like NXT to develop peer to peer exchanges - that's the market effect we should be rooting for.

gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:57:29 PM

it would be preferable if all centralized exchanges failed. what we actually need is more p2p exchanges, not the reincarnation of a failed business, which died due to it's own incompetence.

Wink
I care about the customers privacy and their money, not MtGox itself.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:57:45 PM

Explain to me how you're going to find underwriters for a MtGox IPO.  

It sounds like you have no idea how the process works or how slow and expensive it is to undertake.  

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
raskul

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:00:23 PM

Wink
I care about the customers privacy and their money, not MtGox itself.

well, that's honourable, however, suggesting an IPO to raise 500mil for this failed business, is not. sorry, i'm out  Cheesy

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:00:32 PM

Explain to me how you're going to find underwriters for a MtGox IPO.  

It sounds like you have no idea how the process works or how slow and expensive it is to undertake.  

Trust me an IPO is cheaper than 500 million dollars, Ive seen many bullshit companies get listed that even don't have any customers (penny stocks).
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:01:43 PM

No but IF you go for an IPO bailout you will lose your majority share holdings and the new shareholders will kick you out from the management.

And my conscience would be clear, no one lost anything, all is well. I'll try another project. Right?

The market force should be "I cannot show my face in public because people are out of pocket"

gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:05:16 PM

And my conscience would be clear, no one lost anything, all is well. I'll try another project. Right?

The market force should be "I cannot show my face in public because people are out of pocket"
Yes, Mark would feel fine since all clients got back their money. But he would lose his firm, in worst case get just $1 after the IPO
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: