Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:59:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Oh, I can't believe a magical, made up currency didn't work out"  (Read 2449 times)
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:53:43 PM

This is so dumb that it gives me a headache.

FIAT money is made up! Lehman Brothers was  a much, much larger bankruptcy. Without all the bailouts (which were done via making up trillions worth of fiat) most banks would not exist anymore, right now.

BTC cannot be made up, that is why a bailout is not possible.  Tongue

Truth is the new hatespeech.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

All of this reminds me of the FUD that surrounded the interwebs, the mobile telephone, Google and that F*c*book business in their start-up phases........hmmm.
Think i'll stay in for a while longer.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:03:02 PM

OP obviously wasn't here in 2011.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
keelba

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:04:05 PM

Watching the Olympics the past few weeks made me remember how snowboarding back in the day was laughed at too. I recall being on the mountain and being shunned, ridiculed, and even tormented by the long time skiers. I used to try to convince people that snowboarding was better because it was safer. It is not uncommon for skiers to seriously injure their legs because they get twisted up during a crash. On a snowboard, the legs are fixed in place and these types of injuries are impossible. People still laughed. Now look at it. Snowboarding is one of the most popular events at the Olympics.

Bitcoin is the same way. It does not matter how much you try to convince them of all the benefits. But the people will come around. The general population is too dumb and has too short of a memory. When the band wagon gets rollin' people will hop on. And the more people hop on, the more others will want to. I can talk about it all I want, but who am I? But when someone like Ashton Kutcher says it, people listen!
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:04:13 PM

This is so dumb that it gives me a headache.

FIAT money is made up! Lehman Brothers was  a much, much larger bankruptcy. Without all the bailouts (which were done via making up trillions worth of fiat) most banks would not exist anymore, right now.

BTC cannot be made up, that is why a bailout is not possible.  Tongue

What?

FIAT is made up and so is Bitcoin.

Difference is FIAT can be made up beyond the initial supply and Bitcoin can't..

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Vitamin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:07:49 PM

You could say the samething about paper money.  One exchange, or even all of them, is not Bitcoin.

It doesn't matter what you could say about paper money.

Bitcoin is trying to replace paper money. If you can pin the same weaknesses to Bitcoin money and paper money then Bitcoin fails as a replacement for paper money.

The good news is you can't pin the same weaknesses as paper money on Bitcoin.  BTC has pyhisical value like gold and sliver.   It CAN'T go brankrupt.  USD, on the other hand, is valued on nothing but credit.  Brankruptcy is a fault of fiats, and fiats alone.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:09:19 PM

Sure it's bad news, but you heard it on a radio show...and well, let's face it a lot of those people have drunk a different type of kool-aid.

I mean really, have you heard all of the drivel on those types of pop-radio shows?

I say it's fine; it gives additional penetration for Bitcoin. Those who are part of the squalor would've continued to remain in the dark about it regardless. On the other hand, those who actually take time to research (and are usually more successful and are what the community needs more), will have a decent chance of adopting Bitcoin in some fashion.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:11:24 PM

Well all normal currencies without gold or anything backing it up is made up and "magical" or I''m guessing you meant virtual in some way. The fact government wont give you gold for dollars and it isn't made of gold or silver or anything as it used to be, it all doesn't stop you from using dollar or whatever your countries currency is right now. Unless it is unstable.

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:40:53 PM

Super uber liberal of you to consider Satoshi's personal funds as a "rainy day fund" for the masses.

Satoshi (if he even exist) has no obligation to Bitcoin.

Lastly, MtGox failing is the best thing that has happened to Bitcoin in a while.

~BCX~
Would you like to elaborate what demise of mtgox is best thing, i heard so many members saying the same thing and most of them have same reason that it was the weak link of btc exchange and it has to happen sooner or later , but can you make few points why demise of mtgox a huge positive..! Thanks 

tenthirtyone

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:51:38 PM

One person or group should not hold that much bitcoin.  I look at Satoshi's massive bitcoin holding as a rainy day fund for the cause.  This was the time to use some of it, and still would have left him with around 500,000 bitcoin.  Maybe he tried but Mark would not give up the company or control.   I hate to be a pessimist but this was disaster for bitcoin, of which the after effects will be felt for many years to come. 

This is what pisses me off about new people.

Satoshi doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like the direction where Bitcoin is going - get up and do something about it. I don't know who you are but this is the mentality of the present American young adult generation and it's an absolute cancer. Everyone wants someone to give them a bailout, effectively an entire nation of people who don't know they are poor and expect someone to keep giving them free shit to keep the party going.

I'm sure in your infinite wisdom you know exactly how every single satoshi should be distributed. The rest of us aren't so foolish. The market will be just fine without Gox. In fact, this is one of the better things to have happened so far this year.
tenthirtyone

Activity: 49

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:53:00 PM

Super uber liberal of you to consider Satoshi's personal funds as a "rainy day fund" for the masses.

Satoshi (if he even exist) has no obligation to Bitcoin.

Lastly, MtGox failing is the best thing that has happened to Bitcoin in a while.

~BCX~
Would you like to elaborate what demise of mtgox is best thing, i heard so many members saying the same thing and most of them have same reason that it was the weak link of btc exchange and it has to happen sooner or later , but can you make few points why demise of mtgox a huge positive..! Thanks  

Since Gox did not actually have those coins it means they were running a fractional reserve. That means all those fake bitcoins no longer exist. So if Gox was liable for 800k bitcoin and they just made them up within their system it means 800k fake bitcoins leave the system with Gox.
corebob

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:16:23 PM

Yeah the public reputation of bitcoin is kinda ruined.  Undecided
Most of the people, being ignorant f*cktards, already labeled it as scam, ponzi scheme, etc.
All news is good news Wink
As long as people talk about it, it helps BTC in the long run
Don't be shortsighted

I think you are right about this.

MtGox will be forgotten by the public in a few of weeks. In fact, the hundreds of ATMs being put up all over the world seems to be the next big sensation.

I wouldn't be surprised if bitcoin would continue to grow even if all exchanges was banned. Simply because the technology works as expected
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:24:58 PM

average joes investing in bitcoin at this stage would do more harm than good. bitcoin isn't ready for the mainstream yet. lots of work still to be done on ergonomics, wallet security, and scalelability. its not such a bad thing that they will stay away for a couple of years because this is still a building site where people not wearing a helmet can get hurt.

also, killer apps dont care about reputation. they will be used because they work, not because people are told to use them.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:32:33 PM

Funny, the price of BTC seems to be ignoring the FUD.  Spooked sellers are being met by eager buyers.

Bitcoin has responded to the death of Gox with a resounding "Meh"  Cheesy

What proof do you have that price data isn't being faked by all the exchanges? For all I know all Bitcoin exchanges are owned by the same consortium.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:35:49 PM

Oh, because bitcoin dropped in value. That's how I knew dollars were such a silly idea after 2008.
Dollars, lol, like that could work out.  Roll Eyes

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dynodog (OP)

Activity: 97

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:19:16 PM

One person or group should not hold that much bitcoin.  I look at Satoshi's massive bitcoin holding as a rainy day fund for the cause.  This was the time to use some of it, and still would have left him with around 500,000 bitcoin.  Maybe he tried but Mark would not give up the company or control.   I hate to be a pessimist but this was disaster for bitcoin, of which the after effects will be felt for many years to come. 

This is what pisses me off about new people.

Satoshi doesn't owe you anything. If you don't like the direction where Bitcoin is going - get up and do something about it. I don't know who you are but this is the mentality of the present American young adult generation and it's an absolute cancer. Everyone wants someone to give them a bailout, effectively an entire nation of people who don't know they are poor and expect someone to keep giving them free shit to keep the party going.

I'm sure in your infinite wisdom you know exactly how every single satoshi should be distributed. The rest of us aren't so foolish. The market will be just fine without Gox. In fact, this is one of the better things to have happened so far this year.

Nobody said "OWED."  Sometimes a child needs to be helped up and sometimes the child needs to get up own his or her own.  This was simply a time, imo, to help this particular 5 year old child up.  This is not for benefit of the owners of bitcoin at mtgox - handouts for the sake of handouts are wrong.  this is for the cause of bitcoin.  based on all the circumstances, a sacrifice for the cause had more benefits than negative consequences.     
Pentax

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:23:53 PM

Bitcoin will get kicked around until people can see that it will earn them money again.

If that happens, again, the same people running to their teleprompters to throw rotten tomatoes will be doing the "ain't it great" boogie woogie.

they're simply parroting whatever the wind is blowing today.  right now that's all Gox all the time, so the dirge is playing played, and not for the first time.

In a month it will be something else.  If that's good, price will be rising and the news will be playing a different tune.  

None of what has happened has undermined the fundamentals.  If they're solid, and it has utility, the market will utilize it.  If it does not, it will die.  

Not because some people said some good stuff or some bad stuff, or Karpeles screwed the pooch, but because of what it is.  Or is not.

News is transient and news cycles are shorter than ever.  Nobody will give two shits about Gox in 6 months, except for those that lost money and the lawyers seeing if they can suck fees.  In 2 years when there is nothing left on its carcass most people will forget it ever existed.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:25:41 PM

Bitcoin will get kicked around until people can see that it will earn them money again.

Bitcoin wasn't created for earning someone money...

Satoshi is turning over in his grave when he reads this stuff.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pentax

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:32:12 PM

And yet that is the simple truth of it, not because that's good, bad or otherwise.

without that basic market driver nothing goes anywhere, Satoshi's casket-spins notwithstanding.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:01:44 PM

and you know this how?

~BCX~

You love to screw with the new meat BCX. lol

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: