Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:54:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Economically speaking, the current situation is:
just ok, bitcoin is strong - 42 (22.6%)
not good but everything will be fine - 104 (55.9%)
terrible, the end is near! - 40 (21.5%)
Total Voters: 186

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A cracker owning 850,000btc. How bad is that?  (Read 6858 times)
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:20:19 PM

Going to keep some very low orders on the exchange in case this person ever decides to dump.  Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnny211

Activity: 170
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

Considering Bitstamp has added to their KYC questions this one: 'What is the origin of the deposited Bitcoins?',
they probably suspect some of the scammed MtGox coins were already sold there.

Why would they care if some were already sold? Seems more of a CYA move.
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:53:12 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?

Be creative: there is no enough demand in the world for 850,000btc, you wouldn't drop it all in the open market obviously (nor otc). But you could talk with JPMorgan or some other entity who hates Bitcoin and tell them that you would drop it all for X million. And also, you also get some powerful contacts for the rest of your life.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:33:31 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?

He (or they) might not flood the market e.g. a 'sell wall' but instead release a few hundred coins every week to resist the free fall in price? That way they can steadily convert all coins to fiat at market price.
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:37:35 PM

Who the fuck ur calling a cracker you racist fuck. Just because ur black or brown gives u no fucking right.

Bitcoin belongs to white people

Ahh geez, here we go

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 06:38:31 PM

Who the fuck ur calling a cracker you racist fuck. Just because ur black or brown gives u no fucking right.

get out
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:48:54 PM

On a serious note, a single unknown entity having this kind of stash of coins is the single biggest threat bitcoin yet imo. Until its either determined that the coins were lost and or sold etc over time and have already been absorbed by the market OR they were destroyed by loss of private key, etc, OR all the coins are dumped, the purpose of the hacker remains unknown and that uncertainty will scare away growth and adoption.

I sure hope that its prooven the coins were stolen over time or lost due to a private key issue. Otherwise, no progress will happen until the hacker plays his cards and dumps the coins... eventually we'd recover from even that.... but if the bad actor just holds, the uncertainty may actually be the worst possible thing. To have that hanging over our head is not good, esp for large scale adoption.

This is why we should NEVER have allowed any single entity to control this much of the market in the first place, and if we make it through this and get a second chance, i hope an important lesson has been learned about centralization.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:57:27 PM

By 'cracker', the OP only means a 'hacker'. And English is not his primary language, so let's be sensible here.
On the other note, it would be good for OP to edit the title of the thread to replace 'cracker' with 'hacker'
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:11:29 PM

I think people are skipping over the implications of this.

If one single persons owns 6% of the money supply and closer to 8-9% with the current number of btc in circulation it is a terrible thing.

Nobody seems to be addressing this point. Somebody tried to answer with "well Satoshi has that many coins". Well yeah but he didnt steal them did he.

I mean imagine if btc went to 10k the real world spending power of that criminal would be insane. Far more than any cartels or other gangs have so that should be deeply concerning.

Actually what might be the unpalatable truth is that a lot of people, over the years, caught wind of the easy hack: lots of dishonest Bitcoiners and no-one has owned up!

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
cosmofly

Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:12:00 PM

On a serious note, a single unknown entity having this kind of stash of coins is the single biggest threat bitcoin yet imo. Until its either determined that the coins were lost and or sold etc over time and have already been absorbed by the market OR they were destroyed by loss of private key, etc, OR all the coins are dumped, the purpose of the hacker remains unknown and that uncertainty will scare away growth and adoption.

I sure hope that its prooven the coins were stolen over time or lost due to a private key issue. Otherwise, no progress will happen until the hacker plays his cards and dumps the coins... eventually we'd recover from even that.... but if the bad actor just holds, the uncertainty may actually be the worst possible thing. To have that hanging over our head is not good, esp for large scale adoption.

This is why we should NEVER have allowed any single entity to control this much of the market in the first place, and if we make it through this and get a second chance, i hope an important lesson has been learned about centralization.

Question is how can we control that without a governing body

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:14:02 PM

If 850k coins truly were stolen, shouldn't we be able to see that in the blockchain? Especially if this happened recently. I call bullshit on this one until I see some proof such a big number of coins were actually stolen.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
cosmofly

Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:14:27 PM

By 'cracker', the OP only means a 'hacker'. And English is not his primary language, so let's be sensible here.
On the other note, it would be good for OP to edit the title of the thread to replace 'cracker' with 'hacker'

I will forgive him if he changes the title and apologizes to white kind.

Ritual

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:15:13 PM

If 850k coins truly were stolen, shouldn't we be able to see that in the blockchain? Especially if this happened recently. I call bullshit on this one until I see some proof such a big number of coins were actually stolen.

Ah, sense Smiley

Newbie oriented mining site - http://cryptoexperiment.wordpress.com/ --- Free BTC - http://freebitco.in/?r=231531
Ritual

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:16:06 PM

I will forgive him if he changes the title and apologizes to white kind.

I hope you're trolling and not genuinely being a scumbag. But you know what, even if you're trolling, you're kinda still being a genuine scumbag. So fuck off, scumbag?

Newbie oriented mining site - http://cryptoexperiment.wordpress.com/ --- Free BTC - http://freebitco.in/?r=231531
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:16:10 PM

Now who is the racist here?

I will forgive him if he........apologizes to white kind.

Chill or GTFO
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:42:55 PM

Inb4 KKK flags  Grin

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:45:40 PM

So MagicalTux and his lawyer confirmed that some cracker gained illegal access to their systems and stole 850k coins, don't ask me how that is possible...

Unless he proves all of the shit he says, I don't trust a single word this idiot or his lawyers say anymore. For all we know, he could have been sending all the money to a random address while constantly smoking crack all those years, this explanation is as feasible as any out there now.

I say freeze all his assets - including money he is wasting on the lawyers now - get him a public one instead, and bare minimum for the food. The money would be needed to pay out at least a small part of his debt. I he had any kind of tiny balls, he'd do it himself. But he continues lying, now to the regulators. This path will lead him nowhere.

i am satoshi
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:52:15 PM

So MagicalTux and his lawyer confirmed that some cracker gained illegal access to their systems and stole 850k coins, don't ask me how that is possible...

Unless he proves all of the shit he says, I don't trust a single word this idiot or his lawyers say anymore. For all we know, he could have been sending all the money to a random address while constantly smoking crack all those years, this explanation is as feasible as any out there now.

I say freeze all his assets - including money he is wasting on the lawyers now - get him a public one instead, and bare minimum for the food. The money would be needed to pay out at least a small part of his debt. I he had any kind of tiny balls, he'd do it himself. But he continues lying, now to the regulators. This path will lead him nowhere.

I believe there are enough pissed off bad guys who had BTC in MtGOX.
If I was him I would be scared that some pissed off russian mob king puts a hit out on him.

(P.S> I'm not in this MtGOX mess and I don't advocate killing people)

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
GDECOIN

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:53:03 PM

Since many old bitcoins are most probably unspendable, what real percentage of bitcoin's market cap is now owned by a shady cracker? I would say something between 10% and 20%, which means that now one person with no moral values could destroy the economy at any moment.

I'm really worried. I saw a lot of bad things over the last 4 years but nothing like this.

Bitcoin as a technology is still amazing, but the economical impact of one bad guy owning a loooot of coins is pretty scary  Sad

850 K BTC... WOWwww I'm hope the cracker send some pieces the BTC to mine.lol  Grin

BTC   : 1G9cAAPAuVZcYAnMko8XLnvmxt3xief9wS
LTC    : LMvNpJNfYgCyVZzcopnWcHS9YBFeK6TegY

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/4392-new-cash-mooncoin-dogecoin-faucet/
akujin

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:45:32 PM

Maybe this is the half of stolen coins
https://blockchain.info/address/1AYtnRppWM7tWQaVLpm7TvcHKrjKxgCRvX

Divided into ~4k per address waiting to get dumped  Grin Grin Grin

450k for karpeles and 400k for the FBI Cheesy jajaja