Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:43:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Economically speaking, the current situation is:
just ok, bitcoin is strong - 42 (22.6%)
not good but everything will be fine - 104 (55.9%)
terrible, the end is near! - 40 (21.5%)
Total Voters: 186

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A cracker owning 850,000btc. How bad is that?  (Read 6857 times)
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:07:52 AM

Yes, Cracker.  It means  "Criminal hacker", or someone who "Cracks" security to do bad things.

The primary purpose of the term is to distinguish criminal from non-criminal hackers - by people who are absolutely sick of having everyone assuming "Hacker == Crook" as the common media encourages them to.

Forget your racist crap, guys, we are all colorless on the Internet.  None of us has any clue what color any of the others are, and that is a *GOOD* thing.  Use online vocabulary instead, and you get the right meaning.

If the OP wants to dumb down the thread title so that people who don't know this very basic vocabulary can get his original meaning, maybe he should use the word "crook" instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mami

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:25:08 AM

If Mark was knowingly running a fractional reserve since 2011, then I think this is clear-cut fraud with jail time involved.  If Mark was not aware of the theft, then it is just incompetence/negligence.  He would have an incentive to inject as much confusion as possible. 

+1 - this Karp is bozo, but is still better than 90% of those Wall Street types...

Running stolen coins through an exchange for fiat would be suicidal, thief would get busted quickly.
So if a "cracker" really has 850K bitcoins (highly unlikely really), the question is "WHAT WILL HE SPEND IT ON"?

Answer:  a bunch of stuff from every site on the net that accepts bitcoin. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see "people" overstocking from overstock.com... actually good for the bitcoin economy in a way...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:34:29 PM

So if a "cracker" really has 850K bitcoins (highly unlikely really), the question is "WHAT WILL HE SPEND IT ON"?

Hookers and blow?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:52:18 PM

Can't hold it back anymore. The real answer is, It's real bad honkey. Massa's gun' expand his plantation soon.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:05:39 PM

Manipulate the hell out of the market: just think about it, you don't even need to touch those coins, just buy shorts and sign some terror message!  Embarrassed

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:13:31 PM

Its not hard to manipulate a market with a fraction of those coins. They can move markets and take out profits on a small number of those coins.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:16:31 PM

A few suggestions:
 - Private Jet (I suggest a tricked out G650 or a private 787 for longer distances)
 - Private Island preferably with a runway with full ILS capabilities.
 - Nice car(s)
 - Maids and butlers

It's not hard to spend lots of money....

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 04:18:35 PM

Quote from: Ekaros
Quote from: Apraksin on February 28, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?

What is the liquidity of all the current markets?

That is how much his short term profits are... And that might be sufficient for one person to live nicely for a while...

as you say. for a while. and perhaps maybe even longer. but does he would be really happy in his life?

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:20:04 PM

Quote from: Ekaros
Quote from: Apraksin on February 28, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?

What is the liquidity of all the current markets?

That is how much his short term profits are... And that might be sufficient for one person to live nicely for a while...

as you say. for a while. and perhaps maybe even longer. but does he would be really happy in his life?

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

Take a look at Richard Brandson .... does he look "unhappy".

But yes you're right money can enable happiness but it is no guarantee.

Ritual

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:06:31 PM

A few suggestions:
 - Private Jet (I suggest a tricked out G650 or a private 787 for longer distances)
 - Nice car(s)
 - Maids and butlers

How?

Do you know a:
- Bitcoin vendor selling planes?
- Bitcoin vendor selling islands?
- OK yes, you can buy cars
- Maids and Butlers (not professions known for their technical knowhow, although I stand to be corrected) who will accept Bitcoin as a weekly wage?

Bitcoin is not money until (a) you convert it to fiat - as pointed out this would fuck the markets in a major way, making the guy's BTC worth way less or (b) you find someone willing to take it from you for something nice.

We'd all like the things above, but these particular bitcoins won't be buying them.

Rit.

Newbie oriented mining site - http://cryptoexperiment.wordpress.com/ --- Free BTC - http://freebitco.in/?r=231531
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:31:00 PM

A few suggestions:
 - Nice car(s)
 - Maids and butlers

How?

Do you know a:
- Maids and Butlers (not professions known for their technical knowhow, although I stand to be corrected) who will accept Bitcoin as a weekly wage?

Bitcoin is not money until (a) you convert it to fiat - as pointed out this would fuck the markets in a major way, making the guy's BTC worth way less or (b) you find someone willing to take it from you for something nice.

We'd all like the things above, but these particular bitcoins won't be buying them.

Rit.

A.
https://www.bitpremier.com/items/view/26
https://www.bitpremier.com/items/view/183

B.
https://www.bitpremier.com/items/view/51

C.
https://www.bitpremier.com/items/view/100
Ritual

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:33:32 PM

A few suggestions:
 - Nice car(s)
 - Maids and butlers

How?

Do you know a:

Rit.

A.

B.

C.

hahaha Grin

OK, I stand corrected! Smiley

Can you find me a listing for an Underground Lair please? (Dr. Evil voice)

Newbie oriented mining site - http://cryptoexperiment.wordpress.com/ --- Free BTC - http://freebitco.in/?r=231531
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:54:26 PM

All this talk of this destroying the Bitcoin market are absurd.

This isn't the first huge bitcoin hack and it probably won't be the last.

Nobody is going to try and dump that many coins in one go. They would drain them out slowly to ensure maximum long term profit.

If I were the hacker I would probably sit on them for a long time and probably only start selling OTC to stay under the exchanges radar for a while. Probably reach out to people who expressed an interest of buying a large chunk OTC under market price. It would take a while to get even a million out but given time that could be accelerated as the trading volume picks up and the number of exchanges increases.

Nobody with a large holding of bitcoin is stupid enough to crash the bitcoin market. It's that simple.
Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:45:06 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 08:55:17 PM by Wilhelm

A few suggestions:
 - Nice car(s)
 - Maids and butlers

How?

Do you know a:

Rit.

A.

B.

C.

hahaha Grin

OK, I stand corrected! Smiley

Can you find me a listing for an Underground Lair please? (Dr. Evil voice)

I like luxury when I fly, no single propellor shit, I like to lie down or have my martini shaken not stirred Cool

This site says it all
http://www.endeavorglobalgroup.com/

The have off-market Gulfstreams and Boeings private islands and yachts for sale, with bitcoin. Cheesy

I would recommend the G650 which has a good range and luxury and can land on any short runway. Cool

pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:10:14 PM

Nobody is going to try and dump that many coins in one go. They would drain them out slowly to ensure maximum long term profit.

If I were the hacker I would probably sit on them for a long time and probably only start selling OTC to stay under the exchanges radar for a while. Probably reach out to people who expressed an interest of buying a large chunk OTC under market price. It would take a while to get even a million out but given time that could be accelerated as the trading volume picks up and the number of exchanges increases.

Nobody with a large holding of bitcoin is stupid enough to crash the bitcoin market. It's that simple.

If what Mt.Gox claims is true this is biggest hack ever. The only thing comparable with the SR sized coins (150k).

Do you think a person who have such economic power wouldn't use that to manipulate the market for years?? think again...

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:13:48 PM

If what Mt.Gox claims is true this is biggest hack ever. The only thing comparable with the SR sized coins (150k).

Do you think a person who have such economic power wouldn't use that to manipulate the market for years?? think again...

+1

6% of the market no matter how large it is.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:18:22 PM

If what Mt.Gox claims is true
Found a flaw in your argument.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
dg2010

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:48:38 PM

if they've got that many coins why manipulate the market and risk decreasing their value? The only gameplan worth playing is the one where you just withdraw bitcoins. Anything else is just totally illogical. With 750k coins there is no point in trying to play games with the market and manipulate it. Sure you can cause some flash crashes but then what? That just creates more instability and you've not gained anything.

Anything else is just pure fantasy.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:57:52 PM

if they've got that many coins why manipulate the market and risk decreasing their value? The only gameplan worth playing is the one where you just withdraw bitcoins. Anything else is just totally illogical. With 750k coins there is no point in trying to play games with the market and manipulate it. Sure you can cause some flash crashes but then what? That just creates more instability and you've not gained anything.

Anything else is just pure fantasy.

Nope.

If I had stolen 750K in Bitcoins, at was primarily interested in cash, I would of course have a pressing urge to enjoy the immediate benefits of cash richness, but unless I was stupid, I wouldn't dump so much that I destroyed the market which is to be my cash cow for the next 20 years or whatever. Nope. I would definitely let it grow before cashing in my next pay cheque.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:22:14 AM

now one person with no moral values could destroy the economy at any moment.
I don't have morals applying to the harm of animals, but when people hurt plants I tell them to stop.
what.
The full explanation is complicated, if you are actually interested PM me, as it would derail the thread.

Short answer: I am the rottenest-Botanist.

Can't hold it back anymore. The real answer is, It's real bad honkey. Massa's gun' expand his plantation soon.

Fucking lost it. Hilarious.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: