Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:33:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Bitcoin Foundation done anything to help with recent developments?  (Read 2048 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:29:35 PM

What does Bitcoin Foundation do exactly? Just wondering because they have not done anything as far as I'm aware. I have not seen them help solve any of the issues that have come across bitcoin since I've been involved. Do they have any say in bitcoin at all (I hope not)? 

It's like the group was created to form a hierarchical structure in a non-hierarchical system. The members are a bunch of snakes like Mark Karpeles, that dude charged with money laundering (Charlie Shrem?), and some useless hot Asian woman who calls herself "Satoshi's Angel" obviously taking advantage of her looks to gain attention form bitcoin nerds.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoneyGod

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:31:59 PM

Its good time for Bitcoin Foundation came ahead and lead now because peoples are very upset with these big scams happen in last few days and they are sleeping not good enough  Sad

FelixOliver

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:37:01 PM

It's like the group was created to form a hierarchical structure in a non-hierarchical system.

This... plus non-elected, thus they don't actually 'represent' anything(one)...

We should hold a poll to find out if the community at large actually needs / wants a "foundation" to speak on our behalf

So far, they've done nothing... Karpeles squanders everyone's bitcoins on frappuccinos and still not a peep from the "foundation"
heisthere

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:38:42 PM

It's like the group was created to form a hierarchical structure in a non-hierarchical system.

This... plus non-elected, thus they don't actually 'represent' anything(one)...

We should hold a poll to find out if the community at large actually needs / wants a "foundation" to speak on our behalf

So far, they've done nothing... Karpeles squanders everyone's bitcoins on frappuccinos and still not a peep from the "foundation"

Bitcoin foundation = Karpeles + Karpeles2 + Karpeles3 + ...
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:44:03 PM

They did offer a formal counter to U.S. Senator Manchin ban on Bitcoin, so there's that:

www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-foundation-senator-us-shouldnt-turn-away-innovation/

Dear Senator Manchin:

We read with interest your recent letter to federal regulators regarding Bitcoin. Your interest in protecting Americans is genuine, of course, and laudable. We believe the consensus in Washington, D.C., is the right one for protecting consumers and growing the American economy: the U.S. should foster the benefits of Bitcoin while mitigating the risks.

To that end, we offer the following information to help improve your and others consideration of the Bitcoin protocol, its many potential benefits, and the risks. We hope to be a valuable resource to you and your office, as we have been to many others in Congress and in relevant U.S. federal agencies.

The Bitcoin Foundation is a member-driven non-profit organization dedicated to serving the business, technology, government relations, and public affairs needs of the Bitcoin community. The foundation works to protect and standardize the Bitcoin protocol and software, to broaden the use of Bitcoin through public education and by fostering a safe and sane legal and regulatory environment, and to support local Bitcoin efforts by connecting a network of Bitcoin communities worldwide.

In the past several months, we have been invited to testify and present in a variety of settings, formal and informal, helping to educate congressional staff and government agencies about Bitcoin. Most notably, we participated in the first congressional hearing on Bitcoin hosted by Senator Carper, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, on November 18, 2013. I testified about Bitcoins potential for increasing global financial inclusion, expanding human liberty, strengthening privacy protections for the law-abiding, and providing a stable money supply for those in countries where the local currency is poorly managed. As you know, the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs, also held a hearing on virtual currencies on November 19, 2013.

These hearings included witnesses from the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network in the Department of the Treasury, from the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Secret Service. The hearings also included representatives of U.S.-based Bitcoin businesses, academics, a state banking regulator, and other interested parties. The federal regulators testifying at these hearings have examined Bitcoin carefully, and they produced careful, thoughtful testimonies. They seem relatively sanguine about the risks Bitcoin creates and open to capturing its benefits for Americans, including the jobs and economic growth that will come from U.S.-led financial services innovation.

The benefits of Bitcoin go beyond its role as an alternative currency. The Bitcoin protocol, essentially a universal public ledger, may help establish property ownership in third-world countries, allow people to create computer-automated contracts, aid in the management of public resources like the Internet, and much more. The Bitcoin protocol is a revolutionary invention whose potential is only beginning to be discovered.

There are risks, but we are confident that they are not as dire as your letter suggests. Because Bitcoin is a public ledger, records of transaction are published and available online for all time. This is a far more transparent system than conventional financial services and payments, in which the vast majority of transactions are concealed. Indeed, a challenge for Bitcoin adoption is making sure that law-abiding peoples transactions do not expose their private financial information. We believe the law enforcement challenge with respect to Bitcoin is different but not harder. As you probably know, at the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing on Bitcoin, FinCEN Director Jennifer Shasky Calvery said, Cash is probably still the best medium for laundering money.

The demise of Silk Road illustrates well that Bitcoin is not a magic cloak for crime. Though breathless press reports portrayed Bitcoin as a tool of criminality early on, law enforcement has caught up. The Silk Road collapsed, and successor sites have collapsed. We anticipate studying more carefully privacy, anonymity, pseudonymity, and the needs of law enforcement with respect to Bitcoin.

Some countries central banks have warned consumers about the risks around Bitcoin. I have done the same. Consumers should not invest any money they arent prepared to lose, and the volatility of Bitcoins price against the dollar is high, though it will fall over time. Many countries around the world are embracing Bitcoin, though, as a digital currency that offers their people improved financial services and greater economic freedom. Germany, Finland, Singapore, and Canada, for example, are among the U.S. allies that have sent favorable signals by issuing tax guidance on Bitcoin. Ireland, Israel, and Slovenia appear to have plans to do so. News reports about bans on Bitcoin in China, Thailand, and South Korea may be a product of misunderstanding local conditions.

The Bitcoin ecosystem is still very much in its infancy, and the first wave of Bitcoin businesses is now beginning to give way to a second, more sophisticated group of investors and businesspeople. We believe that the failure of one foreign-based exchange should not darken the prospects for Bitcoin businesses in New York, California, Washington state, and all over the country, including a restaurant in West Virginia that announced late last year that it is accepting payments in Bitcoin.

Small businesses all over the country like Artisan Pizza & Pasta in Charleston are signing up to accept Bitcoin payments. With credit card payments costing two to three percent, the narrow profit-margins of retail businesses get even smaller. The competition that Bitcoin may bring to the $50-billion per year credit card payment business may push lower fees and better service for small businesses and consumers alike. Meanwhile, Bitcoin-based financial innovation may help control data breaches, of which we have seen massive examples in the recent past. Payment services designed for the Internet need not put Americans personal information at risk.

We do not believe that this is the right time in U.S. economic history to turn away from innovations that offer improvements in the jobs picture and the economy. If Bitcoin does not flourish in the United States, it will flourish elsewhere, and the United States will cede leadership to the countries with the more foresighted approach to innovation and economic progress.

There is a lot to learn about Bitcoin, how it works, and what its effects on U.S. society will be. There is no need to fear Bitcoin or overreact to the challenges that accompany its huge potential benefits. We would be happy to meet with you and your staff at your convenience, as we have done with dozens of others congressional offices and government agencies. I can be reached at patrick@bitcoinfoundation.org.
Respectfully,

Patrick Murck

General Counsel

Not sure if it'll have any effect, but it's something. Undecided

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
analytics

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:44:59 PM

If the bitcoin foundation doesn't step up and do something of note, then they will have proved they are useless.  Why else would we give them any credence.  They should be helping to find a solution, not cut and run so their own bitcoin can go up in value, whcih seems to be the strategy they are trying to take (obviously that wont work, this issue isn't going anywhere).

My gut says the "foundation" is really meaningless, doing nothing of note.  Most of the folks on that board only think about "anonymous" features so they can hide money.  Bitcoin was not created to be anonymous, that was not the guiding feature (read the paper).   But most of these folks who think of themselves as bitcoin reps tout that anon feature as being the most important (take a look at youtube "bitcoin group" videos, so full of seedy people who have obvious reasons for supporting anonymous transactions).   Most people aren't trying to hide money from the gov, or trade in illicit items like drugs, guns.   Most could care less about anonymous.   It's the features described in the paper that are novel and useful, and a train that can't be stopped (decentralized, worldwide standard, no charge back, secure, digital, ...).

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:47:43 PM

Actually i don't think we have the deserving and seriously Passionate+Credible members in BTC Foundation, there are so many others who are more deserving and worthy then current lot of members.! there should be some kind of transparency in selection procedure , just because someone is rich with BTC doesn't mean they represent all the BTC believers..!  

faiza1990

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

★☆★777Coin★☆★

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:51:48 PM

I am not understanding about this Foundation what are they doing Writing letter to Senator is ok but here we have some very big scams and many problems but no one coming in front to give any explanation about this we need some good and active persons in this Foundation

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:51:53 PM

I'm against the Bitcoin Foundation and am not represented by them nor will I ever acknowledge them as leaders, example, or whatever they might want to be. They aren't elected, don't do anything different then "normal" members, you have to buy your way into it, etc. It's just a big no-go.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:02:22 PM

And btw, I have nothing against that Asian lady in Bitcoin Foundation and I wasn't trying to sound harsh. I'm sure she has good intentions and she's extremely gorgeous

They did offer a formal counter to U.S. Senator Manchin ban on Bitcoin, so there's that:

Dear Senator Manchin:

Hmm, I guess that is something. Although I don't think that senator even deserves a reply because he's going nowhere with his effors to ban bitcoin form the US. If it was me I would just point out his blatant hypocrisy with is stance.

http://www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2011/4/manchin-debuts-legislation-to-increase-national-focus-on-job-creation

“For far too long, Washington has not done enough to reduce our unacceptably high unemployment rates or make jobs this country’s No. 1 priority,” Senator Manchin said. “There is nothing more important than creating jobs, and it’s time that all lawmakers of both parties start thinking about one very simple question before they vote on bills: how will this affect jobs?"

Yeah senator, let's think about that simple question now... how will banning bitcoin affect jobs? Oh right, that doesn't apply now because you and your campaign sponsors (Chase bank) are directly affected by bitcoin. Fucking idiot

Actually i don't think we have the deserving and seriously Passionate+Credible members in BTC Foundation, there are so many others who are more deserving and worthy then current lot of members.! there should be some kind of transparency in selection procedure , just because someone is rich with BTC doesn't mean they represent all the BTC believers..!  

Andreas Antonopoulos, Erik Voorhees, Fred Wilson, and Jerry Brito are the 'bitcoin foundation' in my view... these guys understand and represent bitcoin well.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:20:46 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 07:57:58 PM by Tirapon

And btw, I have nothing against that Asian lady in Bitcoin Foundation and I wasn't trying to sound harsh. I'm sure she has good intentions and she's extremely gorgeous

Dear Senator Manchin:

Hmm, I guess that is something. Although I don't think that senator even deserves a reply because he's going nowhere with his effors to ban bitcoin form the US. If it was me I would just point out his blatant hypocrisy with is stance.

http://www.manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2011/4/manchin-debuts-legislation-to-increase-national-focus-on-job-creation

“For far too long, Washington has not done enough to reduce our unacceptably high unemployment rates or make jobs this country’s No. 1 priority,” Senator Manchin said. “There is nothing more important than creating jobs, and it’s time that all lawmakers of both parties start thinking about one very simple question before they vote on bills: how will this affect jobs?"

Yeah senator, let's think about that simple question now... how will banning bitcoin affect jobs? Oh right, that doesn't apply now because you and your campaign sponsors (Chase bank) are directly affected by bitcoin. Fucking idiot

Andreas Antonopoulos, Erik Voorhees, Fred Wilson, and Jerry Brito are the 'bitcoin foundation' in my view... these guys understand and represent bitcoin well.

Awesome post  Smiley Also what about Roger Ver for your list there? I've seen some videos of him and also he is responsible for this advertisement:

benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:02:08 PM

If the bitcoin foundation doesn't step up and do something of note, then they will have proved they are useless.  Why else would we give them any credence.  They should be helping to find a solution, not cut and run so their own bitcoin can go up in value, whcih seems to be the strategy they are trying to take (obviously that wont work, this issue isn't going anywhere).

My gut says the "foundation" is really meaningless, doing nothing of note.  Most of the folks on that board only think about "anonymous" features so they can hide money.  Bitcoin was not created to be anonymous, that was not the guiding feature (read the paper).   But most of these folks who think of themselves as bitcoin reps tout that anon feature as being the most important (take a look at youtube "bitcoin group" videos, so full of seedy people who have obvious reasons for supporting anonymous transactions).   Most people aren't trying to hide money from the gov, or trade in illicit items like drugs, guns.   Most could care less about anonymous.   It's the features described in the paper that are novel and useful, and a train that can't be stopped (decentralized, worldwide standard, no charge back, secure, digital, ...).

That's an interesting perspective.  Thanks for posting it.  I'm not sure the Foundation actually has the values you attribute to it, though its composition and focus has changed over the years.  I do think they are trying a little too hard to make Bitcoin go up in value.

Regardless, even though most people could care less about anonymity, it is an essential feature.  None of the others, security, decentralization, worldwide standard, can come about unless anonymity is respected.  This is an important, though subtle, point that is not widely recognized.  Without financial privacy, centralized monetary systems can spy on you, rob you, print money, front-run your investments, and force you to accept their fiat in exchange.  This is the defining feature of fiat money.  It relies on people who can be herded and controlled like sheep.  Fiat money and the invasive "security" state are not coincidences;  they rely on each other to exist.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:04:34 PM

Awesome post  Smiley Also what about Roger Ver for your list there? I've seen some videos of him and also he is responsible for this advertisement:

That's the guy who donated $1mil worth of bitcoin to charity right? I like him too

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:12:54 PM

What does Bitcoin Foundation do exactly? Just wondering because they have not done anything as far as I'm aware. I have not seen them help solve any of the issues that have come across bitcoin since I've been involved. Do they have any say in bitcoin at all (I hope not)? 

It's like the group was created to form a hierarchical structure in a non-hierarchical system. The members are a bunch of snakes like Mark Karpeles, that dude charged with money laundering (Charlie Shrem?), and some useless hot Asian woman who calls herself "Satoshi's Angel" obviously taking advantage of her looks to gain attention form bitcoin nerds.
Why not read about what they do? Maybe you would understand more.
Hint: They are not the bitcoin police.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:16:14 PM

The TBF has done some great work in Washington. Here's a summary of their visit: http://vimeo.com/49156759

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:27:31 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 09:11:41 PM by Dafar

From their About page:

Standardizing Bitcoin

As a non-political online money, Bitcoin is backed exclusively by code. This means that—ultimately—it is only as good as its software design. By funding the Bitcoin infrastructure, including a core development team, we can make Bitcoin more respected, trusted and useful to people worldwide.

Protecting Bitcoin

Cryptography is the key to Bitcoin’s success. It’s the reason that no one can double spend, counterfeit or steal Bitcoins. If Bitcoin is to be a viable money for both current users and future adopters, we need to maintain, improve and legally protect the integrity of the protocol.

Promoting Bitcoin

In the context of public misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misrepresentations, Bitcoin needs to be clearer about its purpose and technology. Allowing the community to speak through a single source will enable Bitcoin to improve its reputation.

Looks like the MtGox drama is a perfect opportunity for the BTF to be speaking in favor of bitcoin to help its reputation and integrity, counter public misunderstandings, and maybe be proactive in seeing that the victims receive some type of legal protection.

I'm not saying they should.. but they want to be the voice of bitcoin.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
analytics

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:43:55 PM

That's an interesting perspective.  Thanks for posting it.  I'm not sure the Foundation actually has the values you attribute to it, though its composition and focus has changed over the years.  I do think they are trying a little too hard to make Bitcoin go up in value.

Regardless, even though most people could care less about anonymity, it is an essential feature.  None of the others, security, decentralization, worldwide standard, can come about unless anonymity is respected.  This is an important, though subtle, point that is not widely recognized.  Without financial privacy, centralized monetary systems can spy on you, rob you, print money, front-run your investments, and force you to accept their fiat in exchange.  This is the defining feature of fiat money.  It relies on people who can be herded and controlled like sheep.  Fiat money and the invasive "security" state are not coincidences;  they rely on each other to exist.

I should have said members and not the board.

I agree on anonymity in terms of the public should not be able to discern my own wallet(s) transactions, unless I allow that (eg political campaigns that publish their addresses).  I 100% agree that needs to private and inaccessible/indiscernible unless I allow it.  But hiding my wealth gains from the government has only 1 obvious reason I can think; to avoid paying fair share of taxes.  Who I transact with is my business, as long as it isn't illegal, that much I agree with anonymity on.  So there is an obvious catch22, governments will never allow bitcoin to grow unless they can peer into transactions and associate addresses to people, at least most transactions. By grow, I mean allowing banks to deal with coins, and possibly even whether merchants are allowed to...the point at which bitcoin becomes integrated with current systems.   I think they will only allow merchants or banks to transact with known identities behind addresses.  That's the direction it keeps moving (eg id verification required on all the exchanges).  

I disagree that security, decentralization, worldwide standard... can't come about without anonymity.  All of my transactions to date have been gated by converting my USD into bitcoin and providing ID verification and source of my income.   I've already been able to experience the security (home wallet), decentralization, worldwide standard, and no chargeback features.   Yet technically, I have anonymity from the public but not the governments who can look into the exchanges and see the addresses I have been using. If a gov official wanted to investigate me, they could easily follow my USD to exchanges to personal addresses.   It's not really that hard to build a social graph around addresses when you have all this metadata.

Cryptoidal

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:50:47 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 09:17:53 PM by Cryptoidal

( spellcheck etcnot working, typing thru an app-sorry about the grammar )

This "foundation" doesn't represent me (or us seemingly) and from what I've gathered is a foundation of self serving individuals using this entity as a second level marketing tool for their own personal or business interests (or both) and are probably leveraged in for the simple reason they just got the domain name first....

If this is not the case then what ARE they doing with all the money and perks they are collecting for memberships with this non taxable .org ?
((Same question asked about what Mark Karpeles (of the mt gox swindle) did with everyones money? ))

These bitcoin foundation memberships are pricey ranging from $100,000 on down .... You would think that at that level of membership fees (that only allow you to volunteer and not to vote) that the foundation would be well known as helpful in the community and not in question about what they are doing for their fees and the perks received from these self appointed positions...  

I originally thought the Bitcoin foundation was an org that was members voted in by the bitcoin community .... It's not...

>Per their website it's a "foundation" that charges for membership so people can "provide input on foundation initiatives, join a committee, or volunteer" (?pay to help)
but yet it also says "you can [only] do so by donating" it then goes on "but note that donors do not receive member voting rights or other benefits" (Huh)
 And yet goes on "to promote transparency and enforce fair voting procedures we require a real name and address for all members" (Huh)... What?...      
-cant we do that for free in the forums?

>So its pay to be a volunteer and give them free input but have no voting rights or other benefits??  AND give personal info for voting rights you don't have Huh
Hmmm sounds pricey to me.. (No wonder their forum has only 1423 people)

And yet why is it that people are asking "what have they actually done?"....shouldnt we already know?...maybe the community should get Bitcoin-foundation (with a dash) and incorporate the top forums into a btc voted comittitee of people voted in by the community for the community....(my first vote goes to Andreas Antonopoulos)

And why was the king pin of mt gox (mark karpeles) a member for so long during that extended mess? Per their website he was one of the founding members of this "foundation" !! (??)

And now that there is a vacant seat open at the "foundation" the only ones who can vote are the few original members -people at the top of the hierarchy, *Not the paying members OR the community-???

The website says: "to help people exchange resources and ideas freely" but we can do that for free on forums like this one and reddit etc without being charged or under the jurisdiction of a centralized "foundation"committee.... And isn't decentralization a major tenet of Bitcoin? A non hierarchical system that makes everyone equal ... Not a closed centralized system you have to pay to be in, and that gives paying members no actual vote to steer where it goes; votes reserved for self appointed  committee members ...

......the people in the bitcoin community that are really helping and guiding are being noticed for what they actually do (and aren't charging for bragging rights)
-google Andreas Antonopoulos as an example and listen to him for free!!!
and be inspired by someone with the true spirit of bitcoin the protocol!
and then go out and to the forums for free and voice your opinion......!!!!!

One of the things I like about Bitcoin and forums and social media is that you can freely give content and ideas out to the world and immediately get back feedback - but first you give- then people either give back positive or negative feedback -ie upvote or downvote or even give donations ...but the giving comes first ...

------So
What does this website "foundation" (that was originally started my Mark Karpeles) have to do or not with what happened regarding mtgox Huh And why are they so grateful to him /yet don't mention he is the one who actually bought the domain originally??

What are these guys doing and why do we need a 'pay for' hierachical and self appointed centralized "foundation" in specifically non centralized community???
------
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:34:03 PM

From their About page:

Standardizing Bitcoin

As a non-political online money, Bitcoin is backed exclusively by code. This means that—ultimately—it is only as good as its software design. By funding the Bitcoin infrastructure, including a core development team, we can make Bitcoin more respected, trusted and useful to people worldwide.

Protecting Bitcoin

Cryptography is the key to Bitcoin’s success. It’s the reason that no one can double spend, counterfeit or steal Bitcoins. If Bitcoin is to be a viable money for both current users and future adopters, we need to maintain, improve and legally protect the integrity of the protocol.

Promoting Bitcoin

In the context of public misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misrepresentations, Bitcoin needs to be clearer about its purpose and technology. Allowing the community to speak through a single source will enable Bitcoin to improve its reputation.

Looks like the MtGox drama is a perfect opportunity for the BTF to be speaking in favor of bitcoin to help its reputation and integrity, counter public misunderstandings, and maybe be proactive in seeing that the victims receive some type of legal protection.

I'm not saying they should.. but they want to be the voice of bitcoin.

I don't think you understood any word you read on the about page. It's basically saying the foundation is there to promote and protect the protocol itself. It isn't there to protect your coins, protect your private key or to protect you from yourself.

I just wish people would cool off and actually think logically about all of this. Unfortunately that might never be the case as people who lost Bitcoins/fiat are emotionally invested and will only ever see this as someone else who has wronged them.

Everyone will be much better off once (and if) they realize that #1 The Bitcoin Foundation is just a group of people who promote, protect and who strongly believe in the protocol of Bitcoin itself (nothing more, nothing less) and #2 The blame of losing Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX rests squarely on the shoulders of those who lost Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX. You chose to take a risk; a risk that involved putting your money (weather Bitcoin or fiat) into an unregulated and young technology that still has very obvious flaws (the human factor being the most prominent one at this time).

Man up, grow a pair, get the fuck over it and move along.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:51:59 PM

The foundation has a few good eggs on board, but that being said, it's mostly worthless in terms of its contributions.  I would not like them to be considered as a representative for the bitcoin community because it's not freely open to the community.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: