Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:31:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Bitcoin Foundation done anything to help with recent developments?  (Read 2048 times)
analytics

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:14:18 PM

Why not read about what they do? Maybe you would understand more.
Hint: They are not the bitcoin police.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/

Lol.   There is 0 possibility people will "grow a pair" and forget about 500M in losses from such a public company when its based on criminal theft at some level.   That's fooliish to think people will "let it go."   Lol

From their About page:

Standardizing Bitcoin

As a non-political online money, Bitcoin is backed exclusively by code. This means that—ultimately—it is only as good as its software design. By funding the Bitcoin infrastructure, including a core development team, we can make Bitcoin more respected, trusted and useful to people worldwide.

Protecting Bitcoin

Cryptography is the key to Bitcoin’s success. It’s the reason that no one can double spend, counterfeit or steal Bitcoins. If Bitcoin is to be a viable money for both current users and future adopters, we need to maintain, improve and legally protect the integrity of the protocol.

Promoting Bitcoin

In the context of public misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misrepresentations, Bitcoin needs to be clearer about its purpose and technology. Allowing the community to speak through a single source will enable Bitcoin to improve its reputation.

Looks like the MtGox drama is a perfect opportunity for the BTF to be speaking in favor of bitcoin to help its reputation and integrity, counter public misunderstandings, and maybe be proactive in seeing that the victims receive some type of legal protection.

I'm not saying they should.. but they want to be the voice of bitcoin.

I don't think you understood any word you read on the about page. It's basically saying the foundation is there to promote and protect the protocol itself. It isn't there to protect your coins, protect your private key or to protect you from yourself.

I just wish people would cool off and actually think logically about all of this. Unfortunately that might never be the case as people who lost Bitcoins/fiat are emotionally invested and will only ever see this as someone else who has wronged them.

Everyone will be much better off once (and if) they realize that #1 The Bitcoin Foundation is just a group of people who promote, protect and who strongly believe in the protocol of Bitcoin itself (nothing more, nothing less) and #2 The blame of losing Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX rests squarely on the shoulders of those who lost Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX. You chose to take a risk; a risk that involved putting your money (weather Bitcoin or fiat) into an unregulated and young technology that still has very obvious flaws (the human factor being the most prominent one at this time).

Man up, grow a pair, get the fuck over it and move along.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:21:19 PM

I don't think you understood any word you read on the about page. It's basically saying the foundation is there to promote and protect the protocol itself. It isn't there to protect your coins, protect your private key or to protect you from yourself.

I just wish people would cool off and actually think logically about all of this. Unfortunately that might never be the case as people who lost Bitcoins/fiat are emotionally invested and will only ever see this as someone else who has wronged them.

Everyone will be much better off once (and if) they realize that #1 The Bitcoin Foundation is just a group of people who promote, protect and who strongly believe in the protocol of Bitcoin itself (nothing more, nothing less) and #2 The blame of losing Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX rests squarely on the shoulders of those who lost Bitcoins/fiat in MtGOX. You chose to take a risk; a risk that involved putting your money (weather Bitcoin or fiat) into an unregulated and young technology that still has very obvious flaws (the human factor being the most prominent one at this time).

Man up, grow a pair, get the fuck over it and move along.

Who are you talking to? I'm just asking what the Bitcoin Foundation does... I did not lose anything form Gox. Get the fuck out of here

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:31:18 PM

Who are you talking to? I'm just asking what the Bitcoin Foundation does... I did not lose anything form Gox. Get the fuck out of here

In the first part of my post I'm talking to you, as you seem to have no understanding of what the Bitcoin Foundation wrote in their about page. Read my post again carefully or even a couple of time as it might help you understand (I'm hoping at least).

The last sentence is meant to everyone crying bloody murder due to their losses.

And about getting the fuck out, how about no! I have every right to exprese my opinion on this board as you do and who the fuck do you think you are to say otherwise? Don't like what I said? Hit the ignore button prick.
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:36:20 PM

To understand what is the Bitcoin Foundation you have to understand where it come from. The idea of a foundation for the Bitcoin software came originally from Gavin Andresen, the core developer which was trusted by Satoshi Nakamoto to look after the Bitcoin open source code. On 25th October  2011 he proposed the idea for the first time:

Bitcoin is revolutionary because it is decentralized, with no single point of control or failure.

However, over the last six months or so it has become obvious to me that the rest of the world isn't set up to interact with a radically decentralized system like Bitcoin, and I think forming a not-for-profit organization will be a positive step towards Bitcoin's long-term success.

I'm posting this to see if there is a consensus on what a Bitcoin Foundation should be.

To get the conversation started, here are some functions I think a Bitcoin Foundation could perform:

• Interact with the legal system, where a centralized entity is needed: for example, to hold the Bitcoin trademark, own/control the bitcoin.org domain name, etc.
  • Act as a central library for accurate information about Bitcoin, so journalists and policymakers have an 'official' place to learn about Bitcoin.
  • Collect donations to fund infrastructure necessary for Bitcoin's growth (organize regular developers' conferences or get-togethers maybe? pay for development of cross-implementation testing tools? pay core developers' salaries? create a certification/testing program for Bitcoin implementations? create a central clearinghouse for information about legal issues surrounding Bitcoin across the world?)

Other not-for-profit organizations that could be emulated:

• The Anti-Phishing Working Group (the APWG's chairman, David Jevans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jevans, is willing to help make a Bitcoin Foundation happen).
  • The Tor Project
  • The Apache Software Foundation

Are there others that work well, or are there examples of what NOT to do? Assuming there is rough consensus that a Bitcoin Foundation is a good idea, I would like to get something imperfect up and running quickly, with the expectation that it will evolve over time.

After almost one whole year, on 27th September 2012, Gavin Andresen announced the formation of the Bitcoin Foundation:

I'm pleased to announce the launch of the Bitcoin Foundation:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113400.0

Bitcoin Foundation standardizes, protects and promotes the use of Bitcoin cryptographic money for the benefit of users worldwide.
https://www.bitcoinfoundation.org/

The Bitcoin Foundation is modeled on the Linux Foundation. I think Linux is a great "role model" for Bitcoin; it is a very successful open source project that really embraced the notion of "open," encouraging the use of the core technology for a wide range of applications.

I hope that the Bitcoin Foundation will help do the same for Bitcoin.

Of course, "the Foundation" won't do anything at all-- people get things done. I want the Bitcoin Foundation to be an open, member-driven organization, and hope that you or your organization will not only become a member but will help the Foundation accomplish its mission.

Please visit the Foundation website for details, and please keep in mind that nothing is set in stone; the structure of the Foundation can be changed by a vote of its members, and exactly what the Foundation does will largely depend on who is willing to step up do the work to make things happen.

To any of you feel like you should have been invited to be part of the group who defined the initial structure and purpose of the Foundation: I apologize. But in my experience the larger the group, the longer it takes to get things done, and it has been 11 months since I first posted about the possibility of forming a Foundation.

In what will doubtless be an ineffective attempt to fend off the trolls, here are some answers to what I expect might be commonly asked questions:

Q: Is this the infamous September Announcement?

Yes.

Q: How do we know you won't just take our bitcoins and run?

We won't. The initial Foundation board members are all people with well established reputations using their real names.

Q: How do we know you won't lose our bitcoins to hackers?

We'll be using a cold wallet, with the private key securely backed up, for most of the Foundation's funds; in the near future I expect we'll be using a multisignature cold wallet, with keys controlled by multiple Board members to keep the funds even more secure.

Q: Is this just a front for the CIA? What is the hidden agenda?

No. And there is none.

Q: The Foundation is a corporation, and corporations (especially US corporations) are evil.

OK. So don't join-- go form your own non-corporate non-evil organization, or just ignore the Foundation and do whatever you think is right.

Q: How, exactly, is the Foundation going to spend the money it gets?

That depends on how many bitcoins it gets from memberships and donations. See Peter's "Letter from the Executive Director" for the current list of priorities, and see the Linux Foundation website for an idea of the types of things I hope the Bitcoin Foundation will be doing, assuming it has the funds.

Finally, thanks to Peter Vessenes, Patrick Murck, Mark Karpeles, Charlie Shrem, Jon Matonis and Roger Ver who stepped up and did the work necessary to get this started.

I advise anyone new to this forum to read the next threads from the begin to the end to have a better understanding what was the real purpose of the foundation. Once you understand that, you are going to be able to compare your understanding with the present situation and observe what was achieved and what was not achieved:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49841.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113400.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113842.0
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:40:32 PM

The foundation has a few good eggs on board, but that being said, it's mostly worthless in terms of its contributions.  I would not like them to be considered as a representative for the bitcoin community because it's not freely open to the community.

People need to remember that they're basically a private lobby group which sets their own agenda.  If people want a group which represents a particular Bitcoin agenda (and there are many conflicting agendas within the Bitcoin community), it's up to them to form their own organisations for tha purpose - as happens with every other cause.

This is what Bitcoin Foundation claims to have done since its creation.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/752-the-good-and-useful-things-the-foundation-has-done-for-us-members-compiled-by-dr-brian-goss/

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:24:52 AM

Augusto Croppo -- thanks for the post. Reading it now

In the first part of my post I'm talking to you, as you seem to have no understanding of what the Bitcoin Foundation wrote in their about page. Read my post again carefully or even a couple of time as it might help you understand (I'm hoping at least).

The last sentence is meant to everyone crying bloody murder due to their losses.

And about getting the fuck out, how about no! I have every right to exprese my opinion on this board as you do and who the fuck do you think you are to say otherwise? Don't like what I said? Hit the ignore button prick.

Done. Good riddance fucking dickhead

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████