Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:12:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ETF, what is it really?  (Read 430 times)
BitcoinPanther (OP)

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 03:49:13 AM

The news of Bitcoin ETF has taken center stage for the past months, but what is it really? And what good will it do to crypto users?

To shed a little bit of light, ETF is an acronym for Exchange-Traded Fund. It is a passive investing instrument that has an underlying asset, and in the case of Bitcoin ETF, bitcoin is the underlying asset.

Why ETF? Primarily, ETF does not require professional trading skills unlike others such as mutual funds. You need not be a professional trader. It has a low operating expenses with no investment minimums. Thus, everyone gets to invest on Bitcoin ETF easily.

Will Bitcoin ETF split the Bitcoin economy into two? Well, as stated earlier, Bitcoin is the underlying asset of Bitcoin ETF, thus, investing and trading on Bitcoin ETF will only strengthen bitcoin itself.

Then why not invest and trade on bitcoin alone? With Bitcoin ETF, one need not bother about technicalities that involves safe keeping of your digital asset. All is taken care of plus the fact that your asset is moving on a busy market along with other popular ETFs.

Lastly, i do believe that Bitcoin ETF is another gear towards cryptocurrency adoption which is really really good for the entire crypto economy.

What are your thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lovesybitz

Activity: 868
Merit: 289

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:17:17 PM

I agree with you.  Bitcoin ETF is indeed a good platform for more adoption in a globale scale.  Once listed, the notion that only techie people can be involved in bitcoin investment will be a thing of the past.

I like it when you point out that technicalities such as creating a wallet and maintaining access on it is not a necessity anymore. It is really a good pitch for non-techie investors. All they have to know is that bitcoin is a great and potential investment and they're all set.
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:22:01 PM

It has a low operating expenses with no investment minimums.

This depends on the details of the respective ETF.

E.g. the new  VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust (the 3rd attempt
of VanEck to get a Bitcoin ETF approved by the SEC) has a
investment minimum of 200k $.

Each share of the VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust is set to cost a hefty $200,000,
according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/06/vaneck-tries-a-third-time-for-a-bitcoin-etf.html

Even if the VanEck ETF gets approved, which is looking unlikely at the moment,
the investment minimum will make a participation for most people impossible.
Giardina

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:25:52 PM

The topic of bitcoin is the most popular in the last year,it is a good indicator.More and more people understand the value of bitcoin both as an investment and as a progressive phenomenon.

BitcoinPanther (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 03:53:19 PM

This depends on the details of the respective ETF.

E.g. the new  VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust (the 3rd attempt
of VanEck to get a Bitcoin ETF approved by the SEC) has a
investment minimum of 200k $.

Each share of the VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust is set to cost a hefty $200,000,
according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/06/vaneck-tries-a-third-time-for-a-bitcoin-etf.html

Even if the VanEck ETF gets approved, which is looking unlikely at the moment,
the investment minimum will make a participation for most people impossible.

Thank you for shedding more light on the bitcoin ETF Samarkand.  It is good to note that respective ETF will have differing details and yes, investment minimums too.  But by principle, ETFs were supposed to be investment minimum free.  Unfortunately (if you read further on the same article you quoted), the hefty $200,000 per share of VanEck SolidX  Bitcoin Trust was intended for institutional investors and not retail ones.

I do believe that until the totality of the proposed Bitcoin ETF gets approved, most of the news we will see are partial. I will remain hopeful that retail investment will have no minimums for this passive investment instrument to remain truly ETF.
lolehiM92

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:11:24 PM

ETF shareholders do not directly own these assets, but instead own ETF stock ownership, which makes bitcoin etf more different than investors in ICO programs.
BitcoinPanther (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:20:06 PM

ETF shareholders do not directly own these assets, but instead own ETF stock ownership, which makes bitcoin etf more different than investors in ICO programs.

Thank you lolehiM92 for expounding the sense of ownership when it comes to ETF.

Truly, with Bitcoin ETF, shareholders does not own any bitcoin per se. They only have stock ownership.  But it is a good point to remember that liquidity remains high at all times even if one only holds an ETF.

And it is in the same sense that technicalities on safe guarding your crypto asset becames fairly easy as one does not really own an actual bitcoin at hand but gains nonetheless under the same bitcoin economy with nearly the same potential as actual bitcoin owners.
blueteam09

Activity: 664

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCA

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:23:03 PM

ETFs are like a passport to legitimize Bitcoin to help investors trust it. Many investors believe only in what is protected by law and many investors at the moment assume that if Bitcoin passed the ETF will rise again. Many say the ETF will be the lifeline of the Cryptocurrency market.

1richkid

Activity: 74

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:27:39 PM

The news of Bitcoin ETF has taken center stage for the past months, but what is it really? And what good will it do to crypto users?

To shed a little bit of light, ETF is an acronym for Exchange-Traded Fund. It is a passive investing instrument that has an underlying asset, and in the case of Bitcoin ETF, bitcoin is the underlying asset.

Why ETF? Primarily, ETF does not require professional trading skills unlike others such as mutual funds. You need not be a professional trader. It has a low operating expenses with no investment minimums. Thus, everyone gets to invest on Bitcoin ETF easily.

Will Bitcoin ETF split the Bitcoin economy into two? Well, as stated earlier, Bitcoin is the underlying asset of Bitcoin ETF, thus, investing and trading on Bitcoin ETF will only strengthen bitcoin itself.

Then why not invest and trade on bitcoin alone? With Bitcoin ETF, one need not bother about technicalities that involves safe keeping of your digital asset. All is taken care of plus the fact that your asset is moving on a busy market along with other popular ETFs.

Lastly, i do believe that Bitcoin ETF is another gear towards cryptocurrency adoption which is really really good for the entire crypto economy.

What are your thoughts?

I'm concerned about the security of ETF, if it can be a safe haven for crypto I believe more mainstream interest will be aroused as more people will be sure they are safe from hacks and scams
rudox

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:32:38 PM

ETF will really help bitcoin in having more demand and wider adoption. I am only having double mind if SEC will sanction it. I read somewhere that it will take a new entrance into the SEC basket about 240 days. This means it will be around February 2019 before we know whether ETF will be successful or not. But every postponement of the admission reflect on the market and push it further down.  
BitcoinPanther (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 05:26:17 PM

ETFs are like a passport to legitimize Bitcoin to help investors trust it. Many investors believe only in what is protected by law and many investors at the moment assume that if Bitcoin passed the ETF will rise again. Many say the ETF will be the lifeline of the Cryptocurrency market.

I really believe that bitcoin is not illegal per se inspite of it being unregulated by many governments.

But i am with you on the opinion that the Bitcoin ETF will help build trust to investors and even extend that trust to non-crypto/non-techie investors too. As you well spoke of it, many investors believe that an investment protected by law and governed by ruling authority on market and finance is a sound investment to begin with.

And yes, i do agree too that the Bitcoin ETF will be one of the many life lines that will keep the cryptocurrency market alive and afloat.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge blueteam09. I believe this way, we help others, and ourselves as well, stay relatively informed.
cuong1610

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 05:35:32 PM

What are your thoughts?
The Bitcoin ETF acceptable, which is really a very positive signal. And it will attract more people to join the crypto
BitcoinPanther (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 05:23:15 AM

The Bitcoin ETF acceptable, which is really a very positive signal. And it will attract more people to join the crypto

Yes indeed cuong1610, once Bitcoin ETF gets approved, it will send a very positive signal which in turn will strengthen the confidence of possible investors, both institutional and individual.

And as it attracts more people to join the crypto economy, this will also bring cryptocurrency in the mainstream market of finance & trading. A great deal of advantage for all of us.
BitcoinPanther (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 08:37:01 AM

But every postponement of the admission reflect on the market and push it further down.  

Hi there rudox! As much as we witness the sharp fall of bitcoin after the postponement of bitcoin etf, many experts believe that this is a good thing.

And if you read and follow articles you might gain a sense of appreciation on SEC's reasons of delaying the approval, in which, allow me to quote:

While the SEC has had to play catch-up with initial coin offerings, where companies issue their own cryptocurrencies in a crowdsale, the US regulatory body has more control over the approval and rollout of Bitcoin ETFs. In its statement on Direxion's Bitcoin ETF, the SEC said that it needed more time to decide because it wanted to allow for “additional analysis.”

This analysis would in part be used to determine whether or not the SEC is equipped to “prevent fraudulent and manipulative acts and practices” upon approval of Direxion’s Bitcoin ETF, and whether it could “protect investors and the public interest” as well as “promote just and equitable principles of trade.”

Read the full article here: https://www.longhash.com/news/a-delay-on-bitcoin-etfs-is-probably-a-good-thing
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:02:33 AM

i am no expert but this part doesn't sound right to me. since ETF is tied to bitcoin and even though the changes may differ but it still is the same thing and you still need to have trading skills to invest in ETF and be successful. the same swings will happen there too!
as for "no investment minimum", is it lower than directly investing in bitcoin? i seriously doubt it!

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
jmvzlfyg

Activity: 174

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:04:24 AM

ETF is very helpful to Bitcoin and the entire encryption industry. It can not only bring huge amounts of money into the market, but also greatly enhance the recognition of Bitcoin around the world.
Jessica2009

Activity: 348

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:40:06 AM

According to my studies ETF means exchange-trade-funds it may seem as similar to mutual fund but it is different from each other . We need only a demat account for trading in ETF the market price is decided during market hours . Mutual fund is decided after the closing of the market . Mutual fund is purchased in fractions and ETF is purchased as a whole . To my concept ETF approval can help to increase the value of Bitcoin .

K O N I O S        |│        The World's Most Secure Cash & Crypto Platform
[   PRE-ICO  |  LIVE   ]      [ AIRDROP | LIVE ]      [    ICO  |  July 1st    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
Uyiosarugue1

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2018, 09:46:04 AM

Thanks for the explanation, it will be a huge plus to the cryptocurrency market if it gets approved and I believe it will be eventually.SEC will bow to the pressures
Uyiosarugue1

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2018, 09:50:02 AM

In addition, ETF bitcoins will not be traded in the conventional exchanges, there will be some sort of parallel market -an Over-the-counter OTC market where it will be traded.
beniesyde

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:59:39 AM

ETF greatly helps Bitcoin and the entire encryption industry. He can not only bring huge amounts of money to the market, but also significantly increase the recognition of bitcoins around the world. I only have a double mind if the SEC will sanction it. I read somewhere that it will take a new entrance to the SEC basket around 240 days. This means that it will be around February 2019, before we find out whether the ETF will be successful or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: