Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:28:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take for deposits to bitcoin client?  (Read 9025 times)
ajk (OP)
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 03:21:35 PM

I just did a transfer of 1000 btc to my bitcoin client wallet how long does it friggen take?!!?!

Its been about 2 days since I transferred and have no clue when it is supposed to be there starting to worry but wanted to ask if it takes anyone else this long to transfer coins??

thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

I just did a transfer of 1000 btc to my bitcoin client wallet how long does it friggen take?!!?!

Its been about 2 days since I transferred and have no clue when it is supposed to be there starting to worry but wanted to ask if it takes anyone else this long to transfer coins??

thanks

Have you check the block number in your client is it equal to http://blockexplorer.com/q/getblockcount
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 04:59:36 PM

From the FAQ on the Bitcoin Wiki:
I was sent some bitcoins and they haven't arrived yet! Where are they?
Don't panic! There are a number of reasons why your bitcoins might not show up yet, and a number of ways to diagnose them.
First of all, check the current max block count by going here ( http://blockexplorer.com/q/getblockcount ) and comparing that to the number in the bottom right hand corner of your client.
If these numbers are different by more than 1 or 2 then you need to wait for your block chain to download. If not, then it's possible that your transaction hasn't been included in a block yet.
You can check pending transactions in the network by going here ( http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/ ) and then searching for your address. If the transaction is listed here then it's a matter of waiting until it gets included in a block before it will show in your client.
Bear in mind that if the transaction is based on a coin that was in a recent transaction then it could be considered a low priority transaction take longer to transfer if the transaction fee paid isn't high enough. Very low priority transactions with 0 fees might take hours or days to be included in a block.
- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#I_was_sent_some_bitcoins_and_they_haven.27t_arrived_yet.21_Where_are_they.3F

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ajk (OP)
Donator

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:19:18 PM

the numbers are significantly different from each other, it says block number starts at 15 something when my clients block starts with the number 14

Does this mean it could be longer before it will show up? damn bitcoin client!!!

thank you both of the posters above for letting me know i should have done a small google search before asking but was in a panicked state when i was posting this, Still am but feel a little better since the block numbers do not match

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:25:50 PM

Your coin is likely safe. You just need to download the blockchain. Once your caught up you will see your bitcoin transaction appear and start confirming. Next time you use the client you will only have to download new blocks created since the last time.

If you want to see your money now, go to http://blockexplorer.com and search for the address it was sent to.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ajk (OP)
Donator

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 07:27:40 PM

thanks i think you are correct in saying that my coins are safe i believe they are to,

Do i have to keep my bitcoin client running for it to be downloading block chains?

still in the 140k when the block chain is currently in the 150k numbers
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:22:52 PM

Do i have to keep my bitcoin client running for it to be downloading block chains?

Yes, and it does take a long time.  Note that the downloaded blocks are tied to your wallet.dat file and not the client. If you remove your wallet file and restart the client, a new wallet.dat file is created and it starts from 0 blocks.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 08:44:03 PM

Yes, and it does take a long time.  Note that the downloaded blocks are tied to your wallet.dat file and not the client. If you remove your wallet file and restart the client, a new wallet.dat file is created and it starts from 0 blocks.

Wait what?  That's the exact opposite of what happens.  I've swapped wallet.dat files around all the time and it never had to redownload more than a few blocks.  It will rescan the block chain to make sure you're not missing any, yes, but not start over from 0.

Anyway, iamag, it helps if you realize that the "wallet.dat" file isn't really a wallet in the traditional sense.  Every transaction is stored in the public blockchain, which every single person using Bitcoin downloads.  In theory, this blockchain file is exactly the same on everyone's computer.  Your wallet.dat file is a list of private keys unique to your machine.  When the Bitcoin client downloads a new block and finds that one of the keys matches with one in your wallet.dat file, it says "Hey!  That transaction belongs to me!  Now I'll update the GUI to show that these coins belong to this specific client."

In short, if you know the address that the coins were sent to, you can check BlockExplorer and check to make sure the transaction occurred.  If it's there, then note the block number that the transaction occurred in.  As soon as your client catches up to that block number, you'll see the money appear in your client.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:26:07 PM

False

Luckily.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 03:04:08 PM

False

Luckily.
Oh wow. I'm wrong. (again)  I must be thinking of an earlier version of the client.

plogank

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:34:03 PM

thanks

So, did you ever get your Bitcoins?

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: