Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:26:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-QT How to create old storage / paper wallet!  (Read 738 times)
RoboDawg (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:10:59 PM

sorry for all the bitcoin questions!

how do i create a paper / offline wallet in bitcoin-qt!

i got a usb stick do i need to download a bootable linux?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SlidingHorn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:33:23 PM

No need to install a whole OS.  Just copy the wallet.dat file onto your storage device & save it somewhere safe.

In Windows, it's in:

Code:
C:\Users\$YourUser\%AppData%\Roaming\bitcoin

(the bitcoin dir may or may not be capitalized...I don't know...I don't use Windows)

You will have to make sure hidden folders are viewable to see the %AppData% directory (Tools > Folder Options)

On Linux:

Code:
/home/$YourUser/.bitcoin

The period is essential - you will not get to the directory without it.

After you've copied it over to the USB drive or whatever storage device you're using, all you have to do to gain access again is to import that file back into a wallet application.

==============================================

Hope this helps

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:38:10 PM

sorry for all the bitcoin questions!

how do i create a paper / offline wallet in bitcoin-qt!

A paper wallet is just a bitcoin address and the private key that is associated with that bitcoin address written down (or printed) on a piece of paper.

If you aren't yet running Bitcoin-Qt, you can install a brand new copy of Bitcoin-Qt, then click the "Create Address" button as many times as you want (once for each paper wallet address that you want), then run dumpprivkey in the Console for each address.  Print out the resulting private keys and the associated bitcoin addresses, and you have a paper wallet.

If you already have a Bitcoin-Qt wallet that you are using, then it is VERY important that you make sure that you have a good recoverable backup copy of your wallet.dat file somewhere.  Then you can shut down Bitcoin-Qt, and delete the wallet.dat that Bitcoin-Qt is running with.  When you start it back up, it will generate a brand new wallet.dat with a new address.  Then you can follow the instructions above.  When you are done, you can shut down Bitcoin-Qt and replace this new wallet.dat with your backup.  When you start Bitcoin-Qt up again, you'll see your old wallet running again with all your old addresses and transactions.

i got a usb stick do i need to download a bootable linux?

If you want to perform the entire process offline on a system that has NEVER been connected to the internet?  Then yes.
RoboDawg (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:40:49 PM

I think I will do that, if you can't trust Bitcoin-QT then what can you trust!

RoboDawg (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:18:15 PM

is it possible to run bitcoin-qt on tails?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: