Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:21:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New "Your Bitcoin Address" appears spontaneously  (Read 1081 times)
SteveS (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:08:54 PM

I had a question about why the Bitcoin client generated new "Your Bitcoin Address"es every so often, but while reading one of the sticky topics in the Newbies board I came upon the answer.

One of the other topics says to introduce yourself, so, starting with the answer to the question I had:

"Whenever the address listed in "Your address" receives a transaction, Bitcoin replaces it with a new address. This is meant to encourage you to use a new address for every transaction, which enhances anonymity. All of your old addresses are still usable: you can see them in Settings -> Your Receiving Addresses."

I've been following Bitcoin since shortly before the big bubble formed (my Bitcoin Pearltrees Pearl). Something prevented me from sticking a toe in the water until just a few days ago, with the result that I now have a few BTC that, so far, have actually increased in value a little bit instead of sliding at the steady rate that's prevailed for the past several months. Now I've gained a little experience in dealing with a couple of exchanges, and seeing how Dwolla works with my bank and the various exchanges. It's all been educational and entertaining for me.

I hope Bitcoin becomes widely accepted. The reason I was interested in the first place was PayPal and the credit card companies presuming to tell me I could not make donations to a certain global public service organization.

Screw that. Go Bitcoin!
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anillos

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 05:16:14 PM

Why does my Bitcoin address keep changing?

Whenever the address listed in "Your address" receives a transaction, Bitcoin replaces it with a new address. This is meant to encourage you to use a new address for every transaction, which enhances anonymity. All of your old addresses are still usable: you can see them in Settings -> Your Receiving Addresses.
Does anyone know how to disable this? I don't like it for myself, I prefer to have a few addresses.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
plogank

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:31:09 PM

Whenever the address listed in "Your address" receives a transaction, Bitcoin replaces it with a new address. This is meant to encourage you to use a new address for every transaction, which enhances anonymity. All of your old addresses are still usable: you can see them in Settings -> Your Receiving Addresses.
Does anyone know how to disable this? I don't like it for myself, I prefer to have a few addresses.

What difference does it make.  All of your addresses can receive Bitcoins.  How about you record one or two and just use them when people ask for your address to send you Bitcoins.

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
Ashkelon

Activity: 188

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:41:49 PM

The reason I was interested in the first place was PayPal and the credit card companies presuming to tell me I could not make donations to a certain global public service organization.

Screw that. Go Bitcoin!

Amen brother

dominus mysteria
plogank

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:19:44 PM

The reason I was interested in the first place was PayPal and the credit card companies presuming to tell me I could not make donations to a certain global public service organization.

Screw that. Go Bitcoin!

Amen brother

Preach it.....

If you like this post a donation would be nice....  1PhCzA9o1jcwHr7PR4mxea8nJYUJWpKAGb

Besides, It'll drive me crazy trying to figure where it came from.
Anillos

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 02:23:34 AM

What difference does it make.  All of your addresses can receive Bitcoins.  How about you record one or two and just use them when people ask for your address to send you Bitcoins.
Yes, but I don't want to have 200 addresses on my client.

Maybe It could be interesting to add a filter in the client, something like a "show only user created addresses" or something similar.

Also, It could be useful to show in first place addresses with a user given name.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: