Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:29:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When buying BTC with CC or PayPal how long does it take to be risk free?  (Read 758 times)
microbytes (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:43:38 PM

The major reason traders don't sell bitcoins via PayPal and credit card is because the risk of chargeback, e.g.: the customer pays with PayPal or credit card, receives the bitcoins, and then complains to the companies that he didn't receive anything and the companies rule in favor or the customer, charging back the funds from the seller, so the seller ends up selling the bitcoins but receiving nothing for them.

But there must be a limit for that, mustn't it? For example 30 days or 60 days? I've read reports that said customers are able to charge back after weeks, but it makes no sense to charge back after 2 or 3 months. Is it possible? How long does it take to be risk free for the seller?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sirrah

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:52:17 PM

I'm not too sure with credit cards you might want to check with your credit card company as to the period within which a chargeback can be filed. For PP a dispute can be filed officially up to 45 days after the transaction but if a person claims their account to be hacked I'm pretty sure it can go to a far longer period.
microbytes (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:04:13 AM

Yes, but that's what I don't understand. Let's suppose that after 30 days the seller withdraws his funds from his PayPal account and 5 days later the buyer files a dispute and PayPal rules in his favor? What happens to the seller's account now that the funds were already withdrawn? Consider two scenarios: one where there are enough funds in his acount from other transactions, and another where the account is empty. What could PayPal do, freeze the seller's account?
cuidubit

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:48:41 AM

Buy with PayPal is not safe for the seller, you can sell and get paid by paypal, bitcoins4currency.com buy BTC and you can get the money at many payment processors, buy with Credit cards is not safe because you can cancel the operation.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:50:17 AM

Yes, but that's what I don't understand. Let's suppose that after 30 days the seller withdraws his funds from his PayPal account and 5 days later the buyer files a dispute and PayPal rules in his favor? What happens to the seller's account now that the funds were already withdrawn? Consider two scenarios: one where there are enough funds in his acount from other transactions, and another where the account is empty. What could PayPal do, freeze the seller's account?

I'm sure paypal would just debit the bank account that's linked to their paypal.  If that is empty then it goes to collections + insufficient funds fee.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:52:36 AM

some people said that their account went to negative amount and as soon as you deposit something there the negative amount lowers

Space for rent if its still trending
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:56:04 AM

180 days in most cases except some CC in some instances allow a chargeback up to a year later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: