Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:03:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer s9 + Alt coin Questions. Help?  (Read 147 times)
cKranez (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:08:31 PM

Hello, I wanted to see if it is possible to alter the Antminer S9 and/or change in any way to mine other Alt coins with different hash algorithms.

Also, if I wanted to mine another SHA 256 coin with the Antminer S9 such as BCC will it take the same amount of electricity as I would be mining BTC. Just that I assume I would receive more BCC since it's a lot easier to mine? Is there a way to throttle the Antminer S9 electricity consumption to mine less?

Thank you for the help!

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ciprianpt

Activity: 127
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2018, 09:15:23 PM

You can only mine coins with SHA 256 algo.. Smiley

https://1stMiningRig.com - Just Another Mining Blog Smiley
cKranez (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 09:30:12 PM

Thank you for the reply, so there's absolutely no way I can do anything on the software side to change that?

How about being able to control the amount of electricity it uses to "lessen" the hash rate?

Thanks!

fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 10:03:08 PM

Thank you for the reply, so there's absolutely no way I can do anything on the software side to change that?

How about being able to control the amount of electricity it uses to "lessen" the hash rate?

Thanks!

No. ASIC literally stands for APPLICATION SPECIFIC. Meaning it is purpose built to do one thing, in this case its to hash SHA256...you cant change it.

There are people that can flash custom firmware where you can turn down the clocks and have it run at a lower speed but why would you want to reduce profitability in that way when its already so poor?
cKranez (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2018, 10:09:12 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions its  very much appreciated.

Just wondering if that was an option in lowering the mining profitability, do you know if I decided to mine says BitCoin Cash will an Antminer S9 consume the same amount of electricity as if was mining BitCoin(BTC) ? I guess if it does consume the same amount of electricity, then the added benefit would be that I will be able to mine more of BCH?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: