Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:41:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theymos, please share the list of banned accounts for BPIP and LoyceV websites  (Read 361 times)
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1653

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2019, 11:32:06 PM
Merited by Vod (2), LoyceV (1)

The BPIP and LoyceV websites are often used by people when they want to know if Bitcointalk profile is banned.
However, many banned users shown as active there.

[...] If they were processed before I started parsing the security log, then BPIP wouldn't have recorded them.  There is no all time security log I can download.

Problem
Unlike Mods, users can't see if someone is banned. It's a waste of everyone's time to report plagiarism or other abuse if the user is banned already. [...]

Incomplete
Unfortunately, I don't have a complete list of all banned accounts.  If a data dump becomes available, I'll use that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lobcmt2

Activity: 462
Merit: 155

View Profile
April 07, 2019, 11:52:19 PM

I don't think it makes sense to get such figures, especially for permanently banned users (that I guess what you wanted). They already got permanently bans, that mean they will never (almost never) get opportunities to see their permanently bans lifted.
There are limited cases that can get unlifted permanently bans, less than total fingers in your hands.
The BPIP and LoyceV websites are often used by people when they want to know if Bitcointalk profile is banned.

If they log in to check their permanently ban situation, check to see that their bans removed or not, they will get active status.
However, I don't see any topic use active situation is parameter for analysis, so why did you ask this?
However, many banned users shown as active there.
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 12:18:14 AM

I don't think it makes sense to get such figures, especially for permanently banned users (that I guess what you wanted). They already got permanently bans, that mean they will never (almost never) get opportunities to see their permanently bans lifted.
The issue is not figures or getting bans lifted. The issue is about other users knowing whether the profile has been banned or not.
Imagine you wasting time reporting a profile for plagiarism yet it was autobanned 6 months ago... sucks, right?

It could also help with investigations for offenses such as ban evasion (BPIP.org has quite been resourceful for this)

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 12:23:30 AM

Problem
Unlike Mods, users can't see if someone is banned. It's a waste of everyone's time to report plagiarism or other abuse if the user is banned already.

Unofficial yet, but the new BPIP extension will show trust and default trust on every page, as well as indicate if the user is banned or inactive.

I'd guess that 90%+ of profiles you look at will not have been banned since BPIP started tracking, but a one time dump would help.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 12:40:36 AM

Moreover, it also happens that the data about bans doesn't appear in Moderators Log, and consequently on BPIP site.

[~] Am pleading for forgiveness and temper justices with mercy please and unbanned my account (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2312222)

Some user wrote in Meta about his banned profile, which is still active according to BPIP: https://bpip.org/profile.aspx?p=wizardcrypto
lobcmt2

Activity: 462
Merit: 155

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 02:20:17 AM

Imagine you wasting time reporting a profile for plagiarism yet it was autobanned 6 months ago... sucks, right?
Got it, Bitcoin_Arena. I known that banned accounts are not able to wear signature. In other words, after their accounts got banned, signatures they worn before will be disabled automatically. However, I agreed that this specification is only helpful for manual checks, and this can not be effectively applied for BPIP site's statistics. Finally, I understood the reasons why OP started this topic. Thanks.

Moreover, it also happens that the data about bans doesn't appear in Moderators Log, and consequently on BPIP site.
By the way, would you mind helping me with steps to download data from the Moderator Log (Mod Log) page, please.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16618

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 07:04:25 AM

This has been suggested before, but unfortunately hasn't been implemented. A one-time ban-data-dump would be the second best thing (the best would be a Rank "Banned"), so I support this request once again.

Modlog only shows new bans, and they do appear on there. In the past 24 hours, 36 accounts have been banned.

By the way, would you mind helping me with steps to download data from the Moderator Log (Mod Log) page, please.
I'm not sure what you're asking: just save modlog, and look for the data you need.

TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 07:18:09 AM

If I remember correctly theymos don't want to implement "banned" rank due to some security reasons.
It is quite strange that the banned information is available to everyone in the modlog but doesn't have a dump file, so third party software have to collect /increase the traffic and load on the servers/ and implement add-ons and for things that admin can do easily with a few clicks.
Then users have to trust to use this third-party software * instead relaying on the forum itself, so the security issue is bigger than the admin consents regarding the banned rank.

* - just want to note that I do trust Ddmr2,LoyceV, Vod who are doing great work. Thanks.

Sorry for the gibberish English, it's Monday.

r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 07:32:20 AM

Just posting it here to show support with OP.
I guess theymos will find some solution that will helpful to everybody.

PS: Still I do not understand the security logic of not displaying the banned rank when I found many forums showing the account is "banned"

I am alive
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 07:49:29 AM

that admin can do easily with a few clicks.

lol...

I'd rather he finish epochtalk than enhance this site.  Smiley

You can see what banned activity BPIP collected for any date here:
https://bpip.org/metalog.aspx?d=2019-04-08

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 08:25:11 AM

that admin can do easily with a few clicks.

lol...

I'd rather he finish epochtalk than enhance this site.  Smiley

You can see what banned activity BPIP collected for any date here:
https://bpip.org/metalog.aspx?d=2019-04-08

Actually Epochtalk is finished, now it's in a alpha or maybe even beta test mode, but not so many want to test it.
I think theymos should invest a little bit in advertising the project, how can it gain popularity if nobody knows about it and it's a great community tool.

Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 02:27:31 PM

Modlog only shows new bans, and they do appear on there. In the past 24 hours, 36 accounts have been banned.

I've noticed that from time to time modlog isn't showing the recent bans, and some of the banned profiles remain with signatures.
Perhaps this is due to the fact that forum staff are using the different methods for bans.
hacker1001101001

Activity: 1288
Merit: 415

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 03:03:25 PM

I've noticed that from time to time modlog isn't showing the recent bans, and some of the banned profiles remain with signatures.

I thought modlog is the most recent update at realtime. But from what you experienced it looks to be false.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that forum staff are using the different methods for bans.
I think there are only two methods for ban.

1. Temporary Ban ( 7 days mostly )
2. Permanent Ban

Please correct me if there are more ways. Also I cannot see how would this effect the modlog.
Veleor (OP)
Legendary

Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2019, 06:55:37 PM

Please correct me if there are more ways. Also I cannot see how would this effect the modlog.

Along with permanent autobans, there are also manual bans which are available only for administrators (you can learn more from the quote below). I suppose, manual bans may not be shown in the modlog.

There are 2 types of bans.

Autobans. Isn't what it sounds like, it means someone pressed the ban button, but it's automatically carried out, as opposed to be manually entered. Though there is a mod or two running scripts because of the spammers. This results in the message You were banned by a forum moderator, email xxx. Both global mods and admins use this, so it isn't a guarantee it was a moderator, just more likely. I use autoban instead of manual bans for permanent bans because it's faster and more efficient. All bans in the modlog are autobans, and permanent.

Autobans ban the account involved only, you can still log in and do everything normally, just can't post or pm. It also adds units of evil to the IPs used, a new account created using these IPs will need to pay a fee. Units of evil increase with additional bans. Nuking is essentially an autoban+deletion of posts.

Manual bans are only available to admins, and are generally configured the same way as above, though it's possible to increase the scope of the ban to include things like registering from certain emails/providers, ips, subnets, hostnames, etc. Can also add multiple accounts to the same ban. It's also possible to prevent banned users from logging in at all using the banned account, this will prevent them from being able to read the forum and access pm's too though, so I rarely use it. These result in the customized reason for the ban+duration, insubstantial posts or whatever.

New accounts do not face any automatic restrictions beyond units of evil, a human needs to verify it. IPs alone are generally not conclusive evidence. <...>
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: