Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:28:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions I can't answer  (Read 552 times)
NoWhammies (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:01:31 AM

Ok, so a facebook friend asked:

FTA: "He said a weakness in the exchange's systems was behind a massive loss of the virtual currency involving 750,000 bitcoins from users and 100,000 of the company's own bitcoins."

So 850,000 bitcoins didn't vanish?

FTA: "It remains unclear if the missing bitcoins were stolen, voided by technological flaws or both."

Seriously, I thought every Bitcoin exchange was verifiable. So how can what happened to the missing Bitcoins be unclear?

What would you say to him?

First off, what is FTA?

Second, I was under the impression that Bitcoins can't "vanish" or be "voided" as there would be holes in the Blockchain.

Also since mining verifies the blockchain wouldn't the stolen bitcoins be able to be tracked to a specific wallet address?

Huh
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:39:27 PM

In short: We are all still waiting for ANY explanation of what has happenned. COntrary to the common belief, there has been NONE that makes ANY sense. Just a bunch of nonsense without any evidence backing any claim.

When that happens, we could analyse if theres any truth on it.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:45:00 AM

FTA: "He said a weakness in the exchange's systems was behind a massive loss of the virtual currency involving 750,000 bitcoins from users and 100,000 of the company's own bitcoins."

This is what has been announced from MtGox so far.

So 850,000 bitcoins didn't vanish?

FTA: "It remains unclear if the missing bitcoins were stolen, voided by technological flaws or both."

Seriously, I thought every Bitcoin exchange was verifiable. So how can what happened to the missing Bitcoins be unclear?

It remains unclear what happened to the 850,000 bitcoins.  Some possibilities that people have speculated about are that they were stolen, or that MtGox lost the private keys and that those bitcoins now exists unspendable in the blockchain forever. 

Second, I was under the impression that Bitcoins can't "vanish" or be "voided" as there would be holes in the Blockchain.

Actually, a miner can cause bitcoins to "vanish" if they don't assign the proper amount of bitcoins in the coinbase transaction.  It is very rare, but it has happened before.  This almost certainly is NOT what happened with MtGox bitcoins.

Also since mining verifies the blockchain wouldn't the stolen bitcoins be able to be tracked to a specific wallet address?

If they are actually stolen, then yes, they should be trackable to a specific address.  Of course that would first require MtGox to announce which transactions were fraudulently transferred from them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: