Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Guide (on weusecoins.com) - Needs review!  (Read 3913 times)
Stefan Thomas (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2011, 03:29:33 PM

I just uploaded the first draft for the mining guide. Before I publish it, it really needs some feedback from people who actually do any mining. Let me know if I got anything wrong or missed anything important.

As for the Technical Background section. Note that this is not meant to explain everything there is to know about Bitcoin, I just picked some stuff miners might be interested in. Still, let me know if you'd include something else.

http://www.weusecoins.com/mining-guide.php

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

I like that you put the disclaimer about it being competitive and not a sure profit.
Also I would clarify more about how much better a GPU is over a CPU and that you can mine for years on a CPU and get absolutely nothing, and statistically even now you will which will just increase.

Also you mention the 5870 I would mention the 5970 (2 5870's in one right?) which is probably the most popular / in demand card.

Looks clean though, I like it.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
twobitcoins

Activity: 144

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:15:46 PM

I wouldn't even try to introduce mining on weusecoins.com.  I see it as a site to introduce bitcoin to average users (and merchants).  Average users are not going to be mining.  Mining is enough of a distraction from real uses of bitcoin as it is - we don't need to make it more so.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:18:01 PM

I wouldn't even try to introduce mining on weusecoins.com.  I see it as a site to introduce bitcoin to average users (and merchants).  Average users are not going to be mining.  Mining is enough of a distraction from real uses of bitcoin as it is - we don't need to make it more so.

+1
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2011, 04:34:37 PM

Yeah I'm going to agree with that one but if you're going to put it there then consider my advice from above.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 04:52:40 PM

I also believe there is no need to put articles about mining on sites like this. We already have bunch of kids, who were so disappointed after running their cpu miner for 2 weeks and not getting a single block. Plus - people do not believe that system allowing members to generate money is reliable.

I would suggest to concentrate on easiness of money transfer (it's really easy comparing to other payment systems!), explain more how to get coin (beside mining), etc.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 05:58:02 PM

+1

+1

theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 06:13:25 PM

Firstly, all of us miners have a conflict of interests which may be introducing a bias toward not wanting more people.

With that said, I'm not sure if mining is a viable thing to be introducing most new users. With the advent of GPU mining, the only people that really benefit from mining are those with gaming rigs. The rest of it just gets hopes up from new users. And business owners may be interested in it, but that's not the key for them. So, thank you for the disclaimer up top. I think I would change the warning to:
"Let's be clear about something: Bitcoin mining is a very competitive business. Just as during the gold rush in Alaska or California, many miners will not  make any profit unless they put lots of time, money, and energy into learning how to do it effectively. Mining can make sense if you do it for fun, or if you can do it very efficiently (low electricity and hardware cost)."
Adding a story (Gold Rush) lets people tie it back to something they may already know. We already know that the people who made the most money on the Gold Rush were the merchants, and it's probably going to be true here. ATI will make a killing. Smiley

You can mine with a CPU, but mining with a graphics card (GPU) is far more efficient. Modern graphics cards let you use their power to solve certain types of high performance computing problems and Bitcoin mining is one of them.

My Edit:
You can mine Bitcoins by using the "Generate Coins" option in the official Bitcoin program, but don't expect anything spectacular! Even the most modern Processors could take years to find a single block. Over time, miners have found that mining with a graphics card (GPU) is far more efficient. Modern graphics cards let you use their power to solve certain types of high performance computing problems and Bitcoin mining is one of them.

"the most cost effective at the moment are..." should be changed to "...at the moment is" since you only listed one card. Giving the most efficient, and the most powerful might be a good idea, and would also give people the idea that the card that does the most work might not be the best choice, and there is a tradeoff for their mining preferences.

That way you get a steadier income, but give up a small percentage of your revenue to the pool operator.

My Edit:
That way you get a steadier income, but maygive up a small percentage of your revenue to the pool operator.

Also, you should direct people over to bitcoin.org's forums for more information, since there's a number of people who like to help newbs.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
Stefan Thomas (OP)

Activity: 234

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2011, 11:53:39 PM

could have mentioned that it is possible to simply buy mining contracts

I'd feel more comfortable if there were competitors to your offering, but I've added it for now.

I also believe there is no need to put articles about mining on sites like this. We already have bunch of kids, who were so disappointed after running their cpu miner for 2 weeks and not getting a single block. Plus - people do not believe that system allowing members to generate money is reliable.

The reason that happens is precisely because there is no good resource that explains to newbies what mining entails.

You guys have made me rethink this though, I guess my approach was wrong. It shouldn't be a tutorial to mine as much as an explanation of mining from the perspective from a non-miner.

Plus - people do not believe that system allowing members to generate money is reliable.

Well, the video already let that cat out of the bag.  Cheesy

But it's fairly easy to explain that the network makes mining barely profitable thereby ensuring that cheap Bitcoins don't flood the market. And that's exactly why we need a mining page - people have to go through that mental process:
"Ok, so if I was mining would I be making huge profits? - Ah, no I won't because X and Y. - Ok, I get why the market isn't flooded with coins."

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 03:47:39 AM

Agreed. Describing mining process in general is good. So people understand that it's hard, expensive and not easy to mine coins. But technical details with pools and etc - probably should go away.

FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 07:19:53 AM

I just uploaded the first draft for the mining guide. Before I publish it, it really needs some feedback from people who actually do any mining. Let me know if I got anything wrong or missed anything important.

As for the Technical Background section. Note that this is not meant to explain everything there is to know about Bitcoin, I just picked some stuff miners might be interested in. Still, let me know if you'd include something else.

http://www.weusecoins.com/mining-guide.php

Positive Feedback: The text color is so light that it's hard to read on some monitors.  A slight bit darker would be easier on the eyes.
Other than that, looks good! Smiley

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██