Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:58:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread : HOW TO PROTECT YOURS BITCOIN & ALTCOINS !  (Read 460 times)
Neurzway (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 1

btc : 3Jp5nAY7S7dKg1hJ7jeZJdAQ9VWszVPBBX

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 03:47:07 PM

Hello guys !

I'm going to write the main things you need to do to protect yours bitcoins & altcoins.

First of all , let me advice you something:

If you hold less than 1.5/2 BTC , do not buy a ledger wallet or others stuffs like that.
For me , it's a lake of money , really.

So , let me introduce you the differents ways to hold your cryptocurencies. (from the safest to the less safe) :
  • 1 :   Ledger .
    I won't introduce more Ledger , Google is your friend.
  • 2 : Mobile Application :
    Bread !
    Really easy to use , and it's safe , with 2FA Authentificator , for example.
  • 3 : Desktop Wallet !

If you want to use it , just go on the website of your cryptocurrencies , and look for the desktop wallets !
    For example , for bitcoin , electrum is really good !
    Just do some research if you want to know !

Ps: Desktop Wallet could be safer than a mobile application if the computer isn't connected to internet ! (the goal of the computer is only to store cryptocurencies : no virus !  Wink  )
  • 4: Exchanges :

The worst way to store yours cryptocurencies ... Store in exchanges , like Binance , ....

If you do that , PLEASE , follow this rules :
    • Use a strong Password ! (symbols , nombers , letters )
    • Use 2FA AUTHENTIFICATOR

Have a nice day guys Smiley
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18565

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 09:42:44 AM

If you hold less than 1.5/2 BTC , do not buy a ledger wallet or others stuffs like that.

I don't understand this advice. A ledger costs less than $100. I would say if you are holding even a few thousand dollars worth of Bitcoin, especially long-term, then a ledger or other hardware wallet is a good investment.
blokceyin

Activity: 168
Merit: 11

Sound/Foley FX Design Service For Your ICO Videos

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 09:54:19 AM

I don't understand this advice. A ledger costs less than $100. I would say if you are holding even a few thousand dollars worth of Bitcoin, especially long-term, then a ledger or other hardware wallet is a good investment.

I agree. If you are holding a few thousands of USD worths Bitcoin, it totally worth to buy one. I would get one to myself as soon as I get half of a Bitcoin. Smiley

Sound/Foley FX Design Service For Your ICO Promo Videos
Neurzway (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:41:21 AM

I agree. If you are holding a few thousands of USD worths Bitcoin, it totally worth to buy one. I would get one to myself as soon as I get half of a Bitcoin. Smiley

Ok guys ! I just say that for me , a destock wallet without internet is safe for me  Cheesy
have a nice day
close up

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:44:47 AM

A ledger wallet is mainly needed for a businessman or a conglomerate since they have to spend more or receive more money in fast, so the ledger wallet might helping them.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 03:32:50 PM

that is why i always try not to give an exact number because it is different for each person. some may go with higher amounts and some with lower. but i think a better factor to determine whether or not to buy a hardware wallet is your usage not your amount.
for instance if i want to hold bitcoin i put it in a paper wallet which is my encrypted key on a piece of paper which i have laminated. i also have a back up from it. but if i wanted to spend from it often enough, like a big trader moving big funds to and from  exchanges hardware wallet is more suitable.

There is a FOMO brewing...
RustyBits

Activity: 64
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2018, 03:41:01 PM

I bought my Trezor wallet when I had only $200 in crypto - so I guess I was way off base there, huh?
I knew it was going to be a long term hodl and I just felt more comfortable with a secure hardware wallet. Still might have been a bit early given the relatively small amount of crypto it protects, but how can you put a limit on when it is too early and too expensive to be smart and responsible?

Visit GetPaid! for ways to earn money online - You won't Get Rich Quick... but you will GetPaid!
blokceyin

Activity: 168
Merit: 11

Sound/Foley FX Design Service For Your ICO Videos

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 04:15:44 PM

Ok guys ! I just say that for me , a destock wallet without internet is safe for me  Cheesy
have a nice day

No worries bruh. I just wanted to emphasize from my point of view. Cheesy

Peace out. ✌️

Sound/Foley FX Design Service For Your ICO Promo Videos
Neurzway (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 07:32:09 AM

Ok guys ! I just say that for me , a destock wallet without internet is safe for me  Cheesy
have a nice day

No worries bruh. I just wanted to emphasize from my point of view. Cheesy

Peace out. ✌️

Me too bro !
Have a nice day ! Grin Grin
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 08:05:26 AM

I bought my Trezor wallet when I had only $200 in crypto - so I guess I was way off base there, huh?
I knew it was going to be a long term hodl and I just felt more comfortable with a secure hardware wallet. Still might have been a bit early given the relatively small amount of crypto it protects, but how can you put a limit on when it is too early and too expensive to be smart and responsible?

Instead of saying should buy only when you reach a certain amount of bitcoin, you can buy if you want to access your bitcoin wallet more frequently then these hardware wallets will be more secure instead of online wallets. Online wallets may not be safe to use for long-term so better to store your coins in hardware wallets if you want to access every day either for trading or gambling or any other reason.

I'm using mostly desktop wallet, paper wallet and online wallets but didn't use any hard wallets yet.
Buttermellow

Activity: 462
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 08:09:45 AM

Maybe there is a good reason which is not being disclosed by the one who made this thread. Anyway if a ledger cost less than 100 USD then definitely if you are holding 1.5 BTC that would do to digital wallet like ledger. Does ledger wallet deduct you from holding lesser than the minimum BTC required to hold?
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 09:08:59 AM

Instead of saying should buy only when you reach a certain amount of bitcoin, you can buy if you want to access your bitcoin wallet more frequently then these hardware wallets will be more secure instead of online wallets. Online wallets may not be safe to use for long-term so better to store your coins in hardware wallets if you want to access every day either for trading or gambling or any other reason.

I'm using mostly desktop wallet, paper wallet and online wallets but didn't use any hard wallets yet.

you don't really have to use hardware wallets! even with a desktop wallet that is set up properly and is secure you can have a good enough security. and the bulk of your storage should always be in 100% cold storage such as a paper wallet.
a desktop wallet doesn't have to be a bad or insecure choice if you know how to use it and with how much.

Only Bitcoin
RisingSun25

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:19:46 PM

Thanks for inform us this kind of valuable information and also I must admit it is really a good and effective article and also helpful too.
burky156

Activity: 658
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:24:05 PM

Google 2FA Autentificators and the mobile phone messaging with e-mail. If you use 3 of them together it would be the strongest way. I always do the same in every exchange and website. I also have 5 wallets and i speard the risks, i would never hacked with all my 5 wallets i believe Smiley
ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:31:29 PM

I bought Ledger Wallet when I reached about 200 usd on my investments. Because that for me is a huge amount. But that doesn't mean that I will not use Desktop wallets or access my funds using a browser.

Use any way you think you can be safe. Just be cautious on processing a transaction and you will be safe.

I still have some funds on my old password protected winrar archive I used before I had Ledger. And I still use it to store funds. It's in the matter of how knowledgeable you are about security.
Airbuxf

Activity: 257
Merit: 32

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:36:06 PM

Ledger is the only options I'd suggst to anyone if the coins he's holding are supported by it. If no desktop wallet from the legitimate source, no fake wallets.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18565

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:38:57 PM

Google 2FA Autentificators and the mobile phone messaging with e-mail. If you use 3 of them together it would be the strongest way. I always do the same in every exchange and website. I also have 5 wallets and i speard the risks, i would never hacked with all my 5 wallets i believe Smiley

Mobile phone messaging is poor security. We've seen multiple times that thieves can quite easily "socially engineer" access to your phone number by getting the phone company to transfer the number to a new SIM.

Similarly, email security is highly variable, especially if you use a simple password thst you reuse elsewhere online.
Kakarot01

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 02:10:59 PM

This is just a small information . There are a details explanation for security in forum. You may check there first. Your suggestion is good but you really need to check whats already in this forum. Google 2FA Authenticates and the mobile phone messaging with e-mail. If you use 3 of them together it would be the strongest way i believe and the possibility of hacking will be very less.
Cryptogid

Activity: 252
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 02:50:17 PM

With all the authentications recommended, pls don't just give out your private keys,then pray not to meet a real hacker..they will access your wallets..
Nanacoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 02:53:49 PM

Good post fellow but I believe if you had explain " Ledger", you would have made the post awesome
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: