Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using S1 AntMiners as Heaters for "Bitcoin House" Project  (Read 2976 times)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:49:31 AM

I think, starting now and thinking longer-term, you would have better luck running a kind of ghetto, distributed server farm for more general-purpose uses, which, for most profit, would likely be GPUs brute-forcing passwords. Whatever you're mining on (except maybe GPU-dominated algorithms, where electricity will remain a factor and today's hardware may still bring in significant revenue) likely will produce practically nothing within three winters and may not RoI even with it subsidizing your heat costs.

That said - ASIC prices will continue a downward spiral until electricity costs in running them becomes a real concern again rather than just worrying about initial cost and whether they'll RoI within the first six months before they become practically useless. Maybe, then, this idea is The Idea, but it might be good to wait at least a couple more years.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Teodor (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:54:23 AM

I think, starting now and thinking longer-term, you would have better luck running a kind of ghetto, distributed server farm for more general-purpose uses, which, for most profit, would likely be GPUs brute-forcing passwords. Whatever you're mining on (except maybe GPU-dominated algorithms, where electricity will remain a factor and today's hardware may still bring in significant revenue) likely will produce practically nothing within three winters and may not RoI even with it subsidizing your heat costs.
That said - ASIC prices will continue a downward spiral until electricity costs in running them becomes a real concern again rather than just worrying about initial cost and whether they'll RoI within the first six months before they become practically useless. Maybe, then, this idea is The Idea, but it might be good to wait at least a couple more years.
We also run GPU scrypt machines, it is an option to take into consideration... thanks!

jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:25:06 PM

This is an amazing idea !! However, what do u do to get the loud noise from the miners to go away ?? i have been thinking about the same thing but the noise is killing me.
JT
Teodor (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:34:18 PM

This is an amazing idea !! However, what do u do to get the loud noise from the miners to go away ?? i have been thinking about the same thing but the noise is killing me.
JT
Antminers have low noise, much lower than Avalons or other.. However, right now we get the heat into house from a separate room but we just play with it and make some tests. The eco house build for this reason will have a separate room very well insulated against noise as we have velulosic fiber used in our houses and can design the room so that the noise wont be disturbing people living in the house.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: