Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2017, 02:42:06 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.14.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A revised Revalin Equation for bitcoin Fundemental Price  (Read 4054 times)
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 03:32:31 PM

Revalin has proposed a formula for the fundemental USD price of a bitcoin:

I've been talking fundamentals for a while, and here's my formula:

Fundamental price = A * B / (C - D)

A = USD-value of goods and services purchased per day in BTC
B = Number of days buyers and sellers hold the coins before and after a transaction
C = Number of coins in circulation
D = Number of coins hoarded by (speculators/early adopters/whatever)

While this equation makes sense, the variable D is unsatisfying to me. Therefore I would like to propose a slightly modified equation:

P(USD/BTC) = V * T / (A - S + I - L)

Where P(USD/BTC) = Price of a bitcoin in USD/BTC
V = Value of goods and services purchased for BTC, in USD
T = Time buyers and sellers hold bitcoin, in days
A = Total bitcoins
S = average bitcoin savings of each person
I = bitcoin investments
L = lost bitcoins

I would like this discussion to address the validity of the equation, and how it can be estimated.

If I understand correctly, any bitcoin investment will have a corresponding bitcoin savings. For example, if Ben gives Joe one bitcoin, then Joe holds one bitcoin of I and Ben holds one bitcoin of S. So investing with bitcoins does not affect the money supply, since an increase in S and I cancel each other.

So to increase the value of P (the USD price of bitcoins), we should focus on increasing V, the value of goods and services traded in bitcoins.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 09:57:16 PM

I agree with your conclusion: the only way to grow Pf is to grow the economy.  I'm personally not interested in growing Pf, but I do want to see the economy grow.  I would rather this happen with inflation: grow the market cap / total value store with an increasing number of coins and keep the Pf stable, but that's really a topic for altcoins.

Yes, the B and D terms in my original formula are a little fuzzy, since they incorporate several different elements in a nontransparent way.  It makes it easier to initially understand at the expense of being messy when you want to apply it in detail.  I think breaking them out is worthwhile.

Where does S belong, in D or A*B?  Which way is right?  Well, what are savings?  An attempt to store value?  A casual investment in the future?  Avoidance of friction?  I don't have a simple answer to that.

In the current market I don't think anyone has savings that last more than a week.  I think people who hold their coins longer than that pretty universally consider them an investment. Thus, I rolled S into A*B - the coins are still in circulation and intended to be spent on goods even if those goods are not yet selected.  At present, that's just taking a slightly broader picture of required value store.  In the future, I think you're right to roll it into D.  In practical terms, it works either way: in A*B it slightly stabilizes Pf; in D it tracks the market quicker.

I'm not sure why you put a + between the S and I.  Here are the two ways I'd write it:

Pf = V * T / (A - S - I - L)
Pf = V * T / (A - (S + I + L) )

A bit more background for those who didn't read the original thread:
Much more detail on how this model works: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=42514.msg579137#msg579137
Explanations for my guesses for the variables: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=42514.msg579196#msg579196

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.