Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:24:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your rigs need your help  (Read 587 times)
Dzeronimo (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2018, 06:25:36 PM

Yes, we all know this, but sometimes we forget a basic thing, so here is a friendly reminder - clean your rigs. Dust is your enemy Smiley
In the last few days it’s very hot in my city, so I thought that higher GPU temperature and fan speed on my rig are normal. But, noise from a CPU fan started annoying me and I decided to clean all fans.
At first, graphics card didn’t look very dirty. There was only a little dust on a cooler and I didn’t expect any significant improvement. Surprisingly, after cleaning GPU temperature went down over 6 degrees. Also, fan speed is 10% lower.
So, don’t be lazy, clean your rigs Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 08:07:37 PM

Yes, we all know this, but sometimes we forget a basic thing, so here is a friendly reminder - clean your rigs. Dust is your enemy Smiley
In the last few days it’s very hot in my city, so I thought that higher GPU temperature and fan speed on my rig are normal. But, noise from a CPU fan started annoying me and I decided to clean all fans.
At first, graphics card didn’t look very dirty. There was only a little dust on a cooler and I didn’t expect any significant improvement. Surprisingly, after cleaning GPU temperature went down over 6 degrees. Also, fan speed is 10% lower.
where did you see dust in GPUs ?
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 08:52:46 PM

I clean the dust from my blower style rigs once per 1-2 months. PSU as well. There is rather big cloud of dust coming from GPUs when i blow the compressed air on them.

Also, there is one another great nemesis to blower style GPU, because of dense fins on the cooling fan. That is flying insects, male mosquitos and similar flying crap. They fly into the rotating fan and get stuck there for months. This throws the fan out of balance and reduces its life. To combat this issue, I took one ventilation fan and put it on top of performated bag, the fan is blowing into the bag, on top of the fan i put small LED light. Flying crap goes to this light and gets sucked into the bag, instead of flying into my Vegas Smiley Works beautiful.
Dzeronimo (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2018, 08:54:45 PM

where did you see dust in GPUs ?
Dust was on a heatsink and the fan blades. My computer is in a living room and I live near a very busy street, so there is a lot of dust in the air.
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:09:56 PM

If you were where I live, you would need to clean your rigs daily. My country is the fifth most polluted countries in the world according to WHO (World Health Organization), and dust existence is beyond measure. I clean my rig at least twice a week, and just 6 hours after I clean it, it collects dust. If I leave it for a week, my components become literally unrecognisable with dust covering every inch of them.
It gets frustrating, so don't blame me for getting lazy sometimes  Roll Eyes

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
deskless

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:17:15 PM

If you were where I live, you would need to clean your rigs daily. My country is the fifth most polluted countries in the world according to WHO (World Health Organization), and dust existence is beyond measure. I clean my rig at least twice a week, and just 6 hours after I clean it, it collects dust. If I leave it for a week, my components become literally unrecognisable with dust covering every inch of them.
are you serious dude ? I haven't done cleaning for over 6 months
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:26:31 PM

My rigs are now mostly comprised of FE GPUs, and for those I will take compressed air and blow the dust off of not only the fan, but I also take the cover off the GPU and blow out the fins inside. I do this every month or two, and my temps are great, even in a room that's not too well-ventilated in the summer.

If you're buying compressed air cans, try ordering in larger amounts. If you're buying only a few cans at a time, you're paying a premium. It's more cost-effective long-term to just buy several at once.

Some people also use electric dusters to remove dust, but I've never used one due to some people talking about damage to parts from such devices. Here's a listing on Amazon that seems to have decent reviews.
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:26:45 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4686241.msg42284358#msg42284358

All of a sudden mining stopped. Not sure whether the MB or CPU died. When I opened the rig I did see lot of dust. I plan to clean it this week and try running them again. Have any of you tried to call warranty on either the MB or CPU ?

Funny, this guy has same username like you
deskless

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 09:31:42 PM

All of a sudden mining stopped. Not sure whether the MB or CPU died. When I opened the rig I did see lot of dust. I plan to clean it this week and try running them again. Have any of you tried to call warranty on either the MB or CPU ?

That's me only dude. It happened to me with one rig. I did not think that I need to clean GPUs.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 02:49:20 AM

You need to move out. You should be worried about your lungs.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 03:17:30 AM

That's me only dude. It happened to me with one rig. I did not think that I need to clean GPUs.

you need to

imagine a GPU heatsink and fans full of dust, it can't cool your GPU's properly

feels like a baby suffocated, it may cause overheating

if it reach your temp threshold mining and system will stop

whitesites

Activity: 88
Merit: 7

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 03:21:11 AM

Every couple months I just take my rigs out into my driveway and use an air compressor to blast out all the dust from the GPUs and power supplies. Always amazes me how much stuff comes out.
If you want to get really hardcore take your GPUs apart and reapply new thermal paste between the die and heat sink.  Except use the good stuff this time.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 08:06:42 AM

Cleaning your rigs is dependant on what environment you are living in.

If you got the window open next to your rig and its close to a busy street then you might need to clean more often than someone who keeps their rigs in an air conditioned office which filters their air.

For most people you just need to clean it 6-12 months. Cleaning it 1-2 months is overkill and you will most likely end up damaging a fan blade with your pressure air than get better temps out of those GPUs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Dzeronimo (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2018, 06:33:51 PM

Yes, cleaning can be dangerous. I used vacuum cleaner instead of compressed air and almost damaged fan blades. It's important to be careful and patient.
deskless

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 07:14:12 PM

Cleaning your rigs is dependant on what environment you are living in.

If you got the window open next to your rig and its close to a busy street then you might need to clean more often than someone who keeps their rigs in an air conditioned office which filters their air.

For most people you just need to clean it 6-12 months. Cleaning it 1-2 months is overkill and you will most likely end up damaging a fan blade with your pressure air than get better temps out of those GPUs.

How do I know if Thermal paste is needed to be applied ?
WannaCry

Activity: 742
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 06:18:21 AM

for things like this, not only your mining rigs, but as well your computers they need to be cleaned at least 2 a month, if you are using them everyday and 24/7  Grin.. although they are machine but we need to take care them also..
joseph32

Activity: 413
Merit: 21

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 06:28:52 AM

for things like this, not only your mining rigs, but as well your computers they need to be cleaned at least 2 a month, if you are using them everyday and 24/7  Grin.. although they are machine but we need to take care them also..

Grabbing such an old thread  Shocked
lifesgood10

Activity: 378
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 05:33:46 PM

Wow, that’s a routine cleaning
In my country; there are more dusts, so I have a big blanket spread over the machines
And I still clean 4 times a month.

You also need to keep it cool by getting air conditions or air purifier
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 05:47:13 PM

It really depends on the environment that your rigs are in. I used to live in an area beside a busy street and I had to basically clean the rigs every 2-3 months because there was tons of dust.

When I moved in a less busy area, I cleaned the rigs maybe once every 12 months or so.

Even when tons of dust comes out, it didn't really affect the temperature of the GPUs, I've always took the measurements before and after the cleaning. I think the temperatures are only affected if there is so much dust that it blocks the heat sink and air ways for the fan.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
profitgenerator212

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 08:21:35 PM

Lol. Same problem here. Sub Saharan Africa. If you don't have problems with inconsistent supply of electricity, you will have dust problems. Such is the difficult mining tales we tell from this part of the world

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████