Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:13:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think a new average user is disparaged by the Bitcoin websites?
I agree
I disagree

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think that Bitcoin websites are too complicated?  (Read 1707 times)
koolex (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:31:14 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2011, 10:15:23 PM by koolex

Hi, my name is Alex.

I am a computer science major, and I am doing a project involving the Bitcoin client. I am just trying to see if the community thinks that the Bitcoin websites (Bitcoin trading, banking, and merchant websites) are annoying for an average user just getting into Bitcoin. It may be the case that you think it is a necessary evil to go through all the websites and transfers, but none-the-less, if you think the process probably discouraging new users from using Bitcoins then please click, "I agree". Of course if you think this isn't a bother for the average user then please click, "I disagree."

Thanks for the help, and I would appreciate any feedback especially if the question doesn't make sense.

Edit1: for clairty's sake

Edit2: I feel like there is still some confusion on what I am trying to do. I made a survey, and maybe that will be more straightforward: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G2CH6ZC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:38:01 PM

I don't understand the question. How can a website be annoying?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:41:08 PM

I disagree, websites are GREATLY helping bitcoins. Sure, some are scams, but everywhere there are scams, not only with bitcoin.

koolex (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

The fact that you have to wire money onto a banking account, and then send that money to a trade account. Then buy the bitcoins, and transfer those to your bitcoin client. Then if you want to buy something with Bitcoins you need to send your bitcoins to the merchant website. It can require 3-4 accounts, and a lot of tedious sending back and forth. Do you think this is going to bother an average person who is just getting into Bitcoin?

I disagree, websites are GREATLY helping bitcoins. Sure, some are scams, but everywhere there are scams, not only with bitcoin.
That's not the point though. I am not asking if we need websites (of course we do need websites and the services they provide), I am just asking if the processes is tedious because my project is about trying to simplify and centralize the process so that the average user can more easily take care of all these services. You're allowed to change your answer, so if you think the process is simple enough, and wouldn't discourage a new user then click, "I disagree". If you think that the process would be annoying for the average user just getting into Bitcoins, then click the, "I agree".
nmat

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:05:05 PM

The fact that you have to wire money onto a banking account, and then send that money to a trade account. Then buy the bitcoins, and transfer those to your bitcoin client. Then if you want to buy something with Bitcoins you need to send your bitcoins to the merchant website. It can require 3-4 accounts, and a lot of tedious sending back and forth. Do you think this is going to bother an average person who is just getting into Bitcoin?

That's not the point though. I am not asking if we need websites (of course we do need websites and the services they provide), I am just asking if the processes is tedious because my project is about trying to simplify and centralize the process so that the average user can more easily take care of all these services. You're allowed to change your answer, so if you think the process is simple enough, and wouldn't discourage a new user then click, "I disagree". If you think that the process would be annoying for the average user just getting into Bitcoins, then click the, "I agree".

The poll title is completely misleading. So is the question "Do you think that the process of buying bitcoins to purchase goods and services is too complicated?" ?

If so, then yes, it is not easy. A better solution would be to allow people to buy bitcoins with a credit card for example.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2011, 08:20:23 PM

The question is confusing. Once the average user has bitcoins, they are usually much easier to use than any other type of online payment.

If you think about it, what's required to use USD online? You have to first obtain some in RL, either from an employer or some other source, then you have to open a bank account, deposit your funds, wait for them to clear, apply for credit with a credit card company, wait to be approved, etc. Using bitcoins requires one to go through many of the same steps, the information about how to do it is just not as widely distibuted in our society.

Still around.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:52:17 PM

Websites are easier than using the bitcoin client and having to backup the wallet etc... so no they aren't discouraging users. Sure they could be better but this is nonsense, EVERYTHING can be better!

koolex (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 04:59:26 PM

The question is confusing. Once the average user has bitcoins, they are usually much easier to use than any other type of online payment.

If you think about it, what's required to use USD online? You have to first obtain some in RL, either from an employer or some other source, then you have to open a bank account, deposit your funds, wait for them to clear, apply for credit with a credit card company, wait to be approved, etc. Using bitcoins requires one to go through many of the same steps, the information about how to do it is just not as widely distibuted in our society.
I see your point, but still 1) in America we virtually all have dollar paying jobs, credit cards, and bank accounts. Using them is easy and familiar. With Bitcoin sites though you have to have Bitcoins sent to your client from one website, then resent to the next website with the appropriate tags. It can definitely get confusing. 2) I wouldn't say easier considering how easy it is use to use a credit card versus using the Bitcoin Client. 3) In order to get Bitcoins at all it presupposes we have money from somewhere, which requires some sort of credit somewhere just to get Bitcoins in the first place. Bitcoins are inherently more cumbersome to attain then dollars in America.

Websites are easier than using the bitcoin client and having to backup the wallet etc... so no they aren't discouraging users. Sure they could be better but this is nonsense, EVERYTHING can be better!
I suppose this question is in reference to normal dollar websites. They are generally fairly easy to use, and most transfers are easy and simple. Also, please try and keep in mind the whole point of this poll is so that I can show that there are definitely improvements that can be made to make things easier. Perhaps it's a trivial point, but it will help me for my project.
nmat

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 12:10:22 AM

You can use bitcoins without ever installing the client.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 02:49:15 AM

You can use bitcoins without ever installing the client.

I'm hardly ever at home. I've conducted many bitcoin transactions simply by accessing one of my accounts on an exchange or some other site I happen to have some coins temporarily stored, often using my phone. If I ever convince my mom to use BTC, I won't even try to explain the client to her, I'll just open an account for her and send her some.

Still around.
tinman951

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 03:21:41 AM

http://www.lingscars.com/

Actually some sites like slush's page are really well maintained.  Slush (mining.bitcoin.cz) manages the website and servers full time.  Other smaller pools are only managed part time.  With the creator leaving after setting it up to reap profits.  I think many of the general pages on bitcoin have some issues.  with only the first (real) ones with the correct amount of information.

Free micro bitcoins: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1DFw1VncjVhqdg6GWoQ6Qtc5ncR5RHXxfP
Donate BTC: 18b94MMTWd7bWaUWcq7VHmizgswP2dK6fM
mafiax617

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 06:01:08 PM

Yes it's too complicated. The average user isn't going to go through all this trouble.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 03:22:16 AM

The more difficult it was transferring dollars to an exchange, the more sold I was on Bitcoin.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 03:50:25 AM

I think the poll question is worded wrong.  "Disparaged"... look this word up in a dictionary.  This word has nothing to do with what you're trying to ask.

Your poll essentially asks: "Do you think Bitcoin web sites are saying negative things about new users?"

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 04:15:59 AM

Once the average user has bitcoins, they are usually much easier to use than any other type of online payment.

+1

so convenient.

but unfortunately people are often confusing the difficulty in purchasing bitcoins with their subsequent ease-of-use.

they are two completely separate issues.
GoldenBoar

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:35:50 AM

The most annoying part of the process you listed is transferring funds between banks and exchanges because of the wait. I don't see what you can do to make that any less annoying. The exchange websites are pretty simple to use as is sending BTC to someone.
Nyaaan

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 10:10:11 AM

Yes, everything related to Bitcoin is complicated, and long, and boring. Money is boring.
koolex (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 09:57:10 PM

@OP: What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
California.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: