Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:38:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will we ever be allowed to attach arbitrary text to transactions?  (Read 1401 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:30:58 PM

Among other things this could serve to explain transactions ("here's the payment for painting my house", "automatic payment from Pool X", "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!111one" etc). And of course, people could use it as a messaging system, using public key encryption when privacy is desired (since the attached messages would be visible in the blockchain to anyone).

Is this in the roadmap somewhere or currently there are no plans at all of implementing this functionality?

ps:as pointed elsewhere by someone i forgot who, this would also help with providing Bitcoin protection under freedom of expression, since any transaction could double as a message.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:36:19 PM

Why not have Bitcoin Messaging services. you pay 0.00000001 to show that you own an address(from the address you are claiming) then attach a message to it?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2011, 09:28:13 PM

I don't think this is in the bitcoin roadmap.
You could use this website: http://ecdsa.org/annotate

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 09:48:46 PM

Yes, but only after the scripting function is enabled, which will allow you to associate a particular transaction to an external document on the web, among many other complex things.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
GoldenBoar

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:07:20 PM

You can already do this if I'm not misunderstanding something.

sendfrom <fromaccount> <tonamecoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendtoaddress <namecoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]

You just need to use the daemon. I think I'll add it to my GUI tomorrow.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:11:46 PM

You can already do this if I'm not misunderstanding something.

sendfrom <fromaccount> <tonamecoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendtoaddress <namecoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]

You just need to use the daemon.

No, the comment is only internal to your logs unless you are directly connected to the receiving client daemon, which is only likely using the -sendtoipaddress flag that is deprecated due to other security issues.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
GoldenBoar

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:46:17 PM

What's the "comment-to" for?
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 08:36:31 PM

Tenebrix is going to have something like this soon, hopefully.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 11:50:29 PM

bitcoind 0.5 supports this via the signmessage JSON-RPC method. I wrote a patch to add it to Bitcoin-Qt, which will hopefully be merged for 0.6.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:12:26 AM

I dont' think you means this, but can't help to suggest this

http://btcmsg.staticloud.com/

Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: