Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:00:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-08-22] The Moms Who Trade Bitcoin  (Read 102 times)
AXELNetwork (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2018, 06:27:50 PM

You know things are going mainstream when mom's get in on the act!

This is a very cool story that shows how common Bitcoin trading is becoming

Story: http://theweek.com/articles/786734/moms-who-trade-bitcoin

Learn more about the AXEL project here: https://axel.network/
vy99

Activity: 126
Merit: 25

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 09:41:45 PM

Nice to see adoption like that. In this community we have a way of thinking it's mostly men that are involved in using cryptocurrency but as we can see from this article it appeals to a lot of people.

I'm not cool enough to have a fancy signature so you're stuck reading this
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 09:52:38 PM

I guess the "Mrs. Watanabe" effect is coming to the West. Throughout late 2017 and early 2018, there was a narrative about Japanese housewives flooding cryptocurrency exchanges:

"Cryptocurrencies are very narrowly held. A lot of them are Asian investors, particularly Japanese. It's very analogous to the mid 90s to early 2000s, when this mythical Mrs. Watanabe, who's sort of the cliché Japanese housewife that would manage the family's finances, would buy Australian currency because those interest rates were higher.

"Now, it seems like the 21st century Mrs. Watanabe is buying cryptocurrencies. Because a large percentage of cryptocurrency holders — particularly bitcoin — are Japanese, Chinese, or Korean, it means the rest of us are kind of playing on the margins and are beholden to what the Mrs. Watanabe's of the world want to do."

Anyway, good for them (and us). More traders coming to the market means more liquidity for the rest of us, and more efficient price discovery. I suppose this narrative helps to combat the attitude that Bitcoin is totally male-dominated, too.

I wonder how this turned out for them, considering the date of publication:
Roughly 30 moms sent Britt money —$20 here, $100 there — to garner varying shares of the pot's ownership. When all was said and done, she'd raised $1,400 to invest in bitcoin and bitcoin cash.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: