Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:43:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should one do with all these pages?  (Read 1119 times)
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:10:58 PM

Okay so as you see below my new update will consist of soo many page links to click on that it actually takes up 3 whole screenshots on my 1600x1400 resolution.

I was thinking about  doing a shortened pagination approach such as  like this

1,2,3.... 500,501,502

But what if you want to quickly reach page 50? you would have to click page 3 and then wait for the load and then click page 6 and then wait for a page load, and so on....

My other option is to make it in a scrollable box(an i-frame or scrolling div for HTML lingo) which is perfectly doable but that is confusing for some and may not be understanable by there are a bunch of numbers in a box.

I could do the first approach and then have a input box where users can type in which page they would like to jump too...
what do you guys think?

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 11:10:18 PM

Use a text box where users input the page number they want to see and a GO button. Also, don't forget to include the total number of pages.
In alternative, use a dropdown with the page numbers.

Hope i understood you right and my suggestions help you in any way.

On a side note: Have you checked the stats page of Coinbits following your advertising request? Need to take make it private again because of referer spammers Wink
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 01:54:39 AM

Yes thats a good suggestion. Im PMing you about the stats
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 02:05:21 AM

Why would people want to get to page 247? They don't know what is where and will be going in order usually right?

If some category has that many results then people will want filters or search, not a way to look through 500 pages one by one.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 02:33:13 AM

Why would people want to get to page 247? They don't know what is where and will be going in order usually right?

If some category has that many results then people will want filters or search, not a way to look through 500 pages one by one.

Well one possible reason would be is maybe your sorting your results by alphabetical order and you want to get to the letter "G" so you just kind of make a guess towards the middle and click on the middle page then go up or down from there in the same proccess until you get to "G"'s this same idea can be applied with different sorting methods such as if I was sorting by price maybe I want to find the 50BTC range it would take for ever if a person had to load every page just to get to it...
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 05:54:36 AM

Someone in the Newbie forum has a possible solution.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49502.0

For what it's worth, I think the way the members list here is set up is a good example of what to avoid.  It would be near useless without an over-arching search function.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=mlist

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 06:34:04 AM

Thanks for the link repentance!
I don't browse the newbies forum often actually I don't browse too many topics on this forum at all. Its like finding a diamond in the rough to find a good "legitimate" conversation around there.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 07:24:49 AM

Well one possible reason would be is maybe your sorting your results by alphabetical order and you want to get to the letter "G" so you just kind of make a guess towards the middle and click on the middle page then go up or down from there in the same proccess until you get to "G"'s this same idea can be applied with different sorting methods such as if I was sorting by price maybe I want to find the 50BTC range it would take for ever if a person had to load every page just to get to it...

Right, I guess you need the enter number of page functionality for the time being then.

Ultimately a filter for price range and other variables would be a lot better than a repeated guess and modify guess system.

The site does look pretty good. Glad to see people who care about their bitcoin businesses. It's amazing how far things have come in a year.

edit: That's not to say at all that people didn't care a year ago. It's just more appropriate to put time into image and such now that there are so many more potential customers.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 07:31:12 AM

Thanks for the link repentance!
I don't browse the newbies forum often actually I don't browse too many topics on this forum at all. Its like finding a diamond in the rough to find a good "legitimate" conversation around there.

I browse it quite often but most of the "can someone post this for me" requests relate to stuff which can just as easily be posted after 4 hours/5 posts, so I see no particular reason for reposting or linking to it.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: