Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:29:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What if bitaddress.org is generating the addresses of an HD Wallet?  (Read 115 times)
abhilodha (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 23, 2018, 08:48:54 PM

I am new in bitcoin i want to store bitcoin on something that i can retrieve later like in 2022
I want a paper wallet for which i came to know bitaddress.org is used

then one day i came to mind what if this site generates address which belong to one HD wallet(as my jaxx can produce infinite amount of public addresses and their respective private keys)

this is how crazy my mind works sometimes..what if someday they decide to steal all ur funds...

IS it safe to generate paper wallet from this site from an offline PC i am going to store them for years...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6119

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 02:31:53 PM

It's open source, so If it contained malicious code, we would've known already. Just download the source code, turn off your internet connection and print, you'll be fine.

If it's a large amount though, I highly recommend a hardware wallet. The private keys could start to fade over the years If the paper is not well stored/protected etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
abhilodha (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 01:04:49 PM

It's open source, so If it contained malicious code, we would've known already. Just download the source code, turn off your internet connection and print, you'll be fine.

If it's a large amount though, I highly recommend a hardware wallet. The private keys could start to fade over the years If the paper is not well stored/protected etc.

by source code you mean zip file on bitaddress.org
download it and open bitaddress.org.html in chrome

am i correct HuhHuh
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 01:44:46 PM

IS it safe to generate paper wallet from this site from an offline PC i am going to store them for years...
I think it is considerably safe that way, make sure you're downloading from the original source
yes that zip file, or even a single standalone bitaddress.org.html file should work just fine
check out the official [ANN] bitaddress.org Safe JavaScript Bitcoin address/private key

then one day i came to mind what if this site generates address which belong to one HD wallet(as my jaxx can produce infinite amount of public addresses and their respective private keys)
then that's what we called an address collision, it's possible but highly improbable
you can read many threads concerning collision in Development & Technical Discussion subforum

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 01:57:32 PM

am i correct HuhHuh

bitaddress.org is a website and can be hacked. an attacker can technically take control of the domain and put his own link at the bottom of the page though different methods.

the link is this: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/master.zip which is the clone of the official github repository of this project at https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org
as long as you go there, there shouldn't be a problem. because you are downloading the source code that you are seeing.
in fact you can also check to see what the latest change was and when it occurred:
https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/commits/master
as you can see the latest commit was from 2016 which means the source code is not changed ever since and has been used without any issues for more than 2 years.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: