Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:45:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is UNIQUE  (Read 4262 times)
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 07:34:40 PM

Why is it that some of us see this thing as a true - to use OP's word - transcendence, while others see it as an impossible and laughable scam with no value?

Not sure if rhetorical, but..

I think it has something to do with the large number of loud speculators that promote (or disparage) Bitcoin for short-term gain. Also, the history of tech is full of stories of revolutionary inventions that were initially dismissed as insignificant, often by high-profile people. The personal computer, and the web come to mind.

I love drawing parallels between Bitcoin today and the web around 1993. However, one interesting distinction is that Bitcoin has a (very public, wildly fluctuating) dollar figure attached to it. Despite not being a very accurate measure of true value, that figure certainly shapes many people's perceptions regarding Bitcoin's value and potential. I often wonder what the early web would've been like if it had a similar figure attached to it. I imagine it would've been one hell of a roller coaster.

Also, great post OP.

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
astana

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:14:03 PM

laws? isn't btc about no boundaries? untracable & anonymous don't go together with laws
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:24:26 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2011, 10:38:38 PM by beckspace

laws? isn't btc about no boundaries? untracable & anonymous don't go together with laws

In the essence, if P2P Police and Smart Property are fully funcional (along with Open Transactions), that's right, laws may be unnecessary.

'Laws?! Where we're going we don't need laws.'

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:29:58 PM

In the essence, if P2P Police and Smart Property are fully funcional (along with Open Transactions), that's right, laws may be unnecessary.

So looking forward to fellowtraveler's Open Transactions project to come online I am.   Smiley
Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:35:15 PM

Reminds me of the quote
Two men looked out of prison bars, one saw mud the other saw stars.
astana

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:38:29 PM

Laws?! Where we're going we don't need laws.

I agree but people please don't piss and moan when you see a pedophile ring get busted with 200,000 bitcoins on their PC's, the world is a pretty dark place you kind of have to expect a revolutionary for of payment transaction to be taken up by those who live in the dark alley ways of soiecty
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:45:33 PM

Glad that Bitcoins are not untraceable.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 11:21:50 PM

So..
Telling the first Bitcoin users that bitcoins are useless because almost no one accepts them is like telling the first printing press operators that printing presses are useless because almost no one can read.

Feel free to improve the quote. This is all crowd sourced after all.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 11:53:14 PM

Refreshing to see a post like this (and lack of trolls).

The trick is to feed the trolls in the "off-topic" section by posting troll like stuff. But now that I posted you the secret to keep'em away the trolls will be all over this thread(its what they do)

but wait a minute what if because they know I'm trying to do reverse psychology that they will just not post to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about because if they came in an trolled then I'd be right, but if they now don't come in a troll I will be wrong and thus its more humorously-profitable to not troll and watch everyone troll me(whom are not usualy trolls).

After reading this post I lost consciousness. I woke up face down on the beach with an empty bottle of rhy, one missing shoe, and a swollen big toe.

Thank you so much Cbeast, Your a real hero to all of us.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:45:23 AM

Laws?! Where we're going we don't need laws.

I agree but people please don't piss and moan when you see a pedophile ring get busted with 200,000 bitcoins on their PC's, the world is a pretty dark place you kind of have to expect a revolutionary for of payment transaction to be taken up by those who live in the dark alley ways of soiecty

Not exactly sure what the last part of that is saying... 

I won't be moaning worrying about what takes place in those dark places.  They have been there before Bitcoin. They will be there after Bitcoin.

Should we stop breathing air because "bad" people do so as well?  Should we charge for, restrict, and monitor its use to make sure only the
"right" people are using it? 

And are you sure that your view of who is "bad" and who is "right" will always match the views of the powers that be, e.g. your government?

astana

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:50:34 AM

Not exactly sure what the last part of that is saying... 

I won't be moaning worrying about what takes place in those dark places.  They have been there before Bitcoin. They will be there after Bitcoin.

Should we stop breathing air because "bad" people do so as well?  Should we charge for, restrict, and monitor its use to make sure only the
"right" people are using it? 

And are you sure that your view of who is "bad" and who is "right" will always match the views of the powers that be, e.g. your government?

Well I have a phd in sociology so i'd like think i have some idea, inflated my big head maybe... All I was saying is that sub culture of the underground are always the first adopters and adapt the quickest.
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 04:10:50 AM

Thank OP,

Even though I realize prices could go lower before they go higher, I still shake my head in amazement of what we truly have here.
I cannot stop thinking of what I can do to make it better. Where do I fit in?
There's so much potential. I have so many great ideas that I don't know where to start.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:19:05 AM

[...]
Why is it that some of us see this thing as a true - to use OP's word - transcendence, while others see it as an impossible and laughable scam with no value?  It's as if we've stumbled upon the first printing press sitting alone in a meadow, and as we marvel at the possibilities of such an apparatus we're incessantly distracted by other onlookers who, noting that nobody uses such a thing, endeavor to condemn and deride our exuberance.
[...]
this is quite an interesting way to think about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47053
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: