Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:46:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [FUD] btc-e is also running fractional reserve  (Read 2081 times)
seejeffrun (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:34:38 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 07:31:23 PM by malevolent

What happened with mtgox is like Enron, it's not an isolated incident, it's actually widespread.

Btc-e.com is another exchange that is running fractional reserve, and ready to disappear with everyone's money at a moments notice.

Without an independent group of auditors, how do you know that bitstamp and blockchain.info aren't running thousand bitcoin deficits due to theft, loss, incompetence, etc?

You don't.

Until a bitcoin exchange/business passes an audit by an outside/independent body (and continues to do so at regular intervals), why should we assume anything but that this business is insolvent, running fractional reserve, or misappropriating funds in some other way?

Oh wait, we should just believe the business and take it at it's word.

Wallstreet has this type of problem even with tons of regulation and government bodies watching.

With bitcoin having none of this, it will certainly be even more widespread.

I'm not saying that government is the answer, but some sort of independent 3rd party bitcoin auditing service that will certify an exchange/bank as 100% solvent and not running fractional reserve is definitely needed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:36:49 PM

So you opened this thread with a FUD title with absolutely no proof?

Good job...

Roll Eyes
cottoneyeJoe

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:42:25 PM

So you opened this thread with a FUD title with absolutely no proof?

Good job...

Roll Eyes

No so terribly unreasonable given that thousands of people have accounts on these exchanges and have no proof that they arent goxing.

But, yes, it is speculation both ways.

Shame since the whole point to btc is to not have to trust and to rely on publicly visible consensus.
seejeffrun (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:48:32 PM

Don't you get it.

I shouldn't have to prove that they're fractional reserve.

They should have to prove that they aren't!

This is Eastern Europe and Bulgaria is one corrupt, poor country.

You really think these Bulgarian's are going to be sitting on millions and millions of bitcoins and aren't going to want to "borrow" or touch some of those coins. The temptation will be too great.

They could easily remove some of those bitcoin and then try to gamble with them, make more money, and then return the bitcoins safe and sound afterwards, and no one would ever no.

It it were my exchange and I had no over-site, I'd be tempted to do this myself.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:52:13 PM

If you don't leave your coins directly on the exchange, you are only exposed to risk for the one hour that you purchased or exchanged coins and are waiting for your withdraw to confirm
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

Yes I think you have a point

We need exchanges that are audited by Bitcoin figured or trusted persons; mtgox shows us that Bitcoin is still very new and a lot is still to be made to have a very trustful and efficient system that is massively adopted; I think that the economic storm that is coming will help getting Bitcoin adopted

greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

It it were my exchange and I had no over-site, I'd be tempted to do this myself.

Wanting to do that is completely idiotic, because going fractional on Bitcoin does not amount to the same thing as it would with fiat deposits.

The advantage to going fractional on fiat deposits is to maximize profits through leverage, predicated on the assumption that the risk/return on lending out fiat deposits works in the depository's favor on average.

With Bitcoin, that's the most insane and dangerous proposition ever, because it isn't exactly rocket science to see from past performance that becoming illiquid in Bitcoin can result in a situation where after a large rally, the operator would never ever be able to buy back adequate reserves, because the returns in Bitcoin itself were higher than anything they could've ever done through leverage. This could only ever happen in a situation where you had a robust Bitcoin credit economy where returns themselves were denominated in Bitcoin directly.

Basically there is no way to do this without actually being a straight Ponzi. Trying to operate a plan like this amounts to massively shorting Bitcoin at all times (without customer consent) risking shorting into an enormous rally that ends you.
seejeffrun (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:59:20 PM

I'm just going to borrow a few coins from the exchange to pay for my mansion filled with prostitutes.

I will repay those coins with the income the exchange makes next year.

Don't worry. 

You can trust me. 

greenlion

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:02:55 PM

I'm just going to borrow a few coins from the exchange to pay for my mansion filled with prostitutes.

I will repay those coins with the income the exchange makes next year.

Don't worry. 

You can trust me. 

Nobody can actually make money doing this unless they've already decided that what they're doing is going to be outright fly-by-night theft. And the risk/reward for doing something like this is irrational in comparison to the reward for actually running the exchange business.

Saying that this could possibly be going on is tantamount to saying that btc-e does not intend to actually operate, and that kind of claim needs a lot more evidence than just cynical bush-league allegations on the basis of 100% conjecture.
seejeffrun (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:05:36 PM

My exchange still has enough bitcoins to cover 95% of deposits.

What's the big deal?

It's not like 95% of customers are all going to try and withdraw at the same time.

My employees worked really hard and deserved a Christmas bonus. Not to mention, we needed new office furniture.

seejeffrun (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:11:28 PM

Nobody can actually make money doing this unless they've already decided that what they're doing is going to be outright fly-by-night theft.

Bullshit! Mtgox was never designed to be a fly by night and Mark didn't actually profit from the exchange, it's ruined him.

Think about it.

If an exchange is not profitable and they have to choose between closing the business, or "borrowing" some of the bitcoins temporarily until they make up the difference next year, which do you think they'll choose?

The exchange will always choose the ladder.

It would actually make sense for the most successful exchange to be skimming the top, as that would give it the financial strength to out compete the other exchanges. Lance Armstrong anyone.
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Btc-e.com is another exchange that is running fractional reserve

So somebody is guilty until he can prove that he is not? You just made a statement, that is not true. You could ask "Does btc-e have a fractional reserve" or "It is likely, they have a FR", but so?

Until a bitcoin exchange/business passes an audit by an outside/independent body (and continues to do so at regular intervals), why should we assume anything but that this business is insolvent, running fractional reserve, or misappropriating funds in some other way?
There are ways a 100% reserve can be proven without a third party.
There are always two steps:
1. How many btc they have? This is simple, they can just sign addresses with coins.
2. How many btc they owe to customers? This is tricker, because they don't what to kill any privacy. So they can just publish a list with all accounts and btc on it, where the accounts are in an random id, which only the account owner has.

But doing the same with dollars or euros? I don't have a way...

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:15:14 PM

blockchain.info running fractional reserve? you lost me there.

i understand your concern though. and btc-e will need to prove themselves or go the way of gox

ok
pleiotropik

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:28:22 PM

Silly thread, why do you worry about Fractional banking? i know for a fact that the sun is going supernova any time now... Prove me wrong? lulz... We will all be atomic dust and even i won't be able to stand up to anybody to say: "I told ya so."

Now i have to go back to my Vogon dictionary see if i can hitch a ride.  Cheesy
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:46:40 PM

Um. Blockchain.info is not an exchange, and has no reserves (or BTC) for that matter.

/ignore rest of post.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
greenlion

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:47:07 PM

My exchange still has enough bitcoins to cover 95% of deposits.

What's the big deal?

It's not like 95% of customers are all going to try and withdraw at the same time.

My employees worked really hard and deserved a Christmas bonus. Not to mention, we needed new office furniture.

What you're describing isn't what "going fractional" actually means, what you're describing is just petty theft. Fractional means that you are leveraging deposits to make a return.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:54:40 PM

lesson to learn

dont use ANY exchange for long term store.

do your trade and withdraw. deposit later if you want to trade again.

if you are a day trader that wants to do multiple trades per hour/day and dont want the hassle of withdrawing/depositing. then DO NOT put all of your funds into an exchange. risk 10% or an amount you think your safe enough to lose.

i have a cold store. i only play with a small percentage on an exchange and when that amount reaches a certain level i withdraw the profits and repeat again with just that minimum amount. i make a heck of a lot more profit then having FIAT in a bank account for a year. and have my funds safe away from all of these third parties.

imagine it this way, if you have 1000BTC only risk 10btc-100btc. when lets say 10btc becomes 11btc. withdraw the 1btc profit. rinse and repeat and all of them 1btc's add up and after a year you will have a heck of alot more then 1000BTC but without risking it all with third parties.

i am now independantly wealthy, not relying on an employer to give me an income, or a third party to look after my funds. and thats what BTC should be all about

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:37:41 AM

Don't you get it.

I shouldn't have to prove that they're fractional reserve.

They should have to prove that they aren't!

Word.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 10:36:16 AM

lesson to learn

dont use ANY exchange for long term store.

do your trade and withdraw. deposit later if you want to trade again.

if you are a day trader that wants to do multiple trades per hour/day and dont want the hassle of withdrawing/depositing. then DO NOT put all of your funds into an exchange. risk 10% or an amount you think your safe enough to lose.

i have a cold store. i only play with a small percentage on an exchange and when that amount reaches a certain level i withdraw the profits and repeat again with just that minimum amount. i make a heck of a lot more profit then having FIAT in a bank account for a year. and have my funds safe away from all of these third parties.

imagine it this way, if you have 1000BTC only risk 10btc-100btc. when lets say 10btc becomes 11btc. withdraw the 1btc profit. rinse and repeat and all of them 1btc's add up and after a year you will have a heck of alot more then 1000BTC but without risking it all with third parties.

i am now independantly wealthy, not relying on an employer to give me an income, or a third party to look after my funds. and thats what BTC should be all about

Yes you are right, don't trust banks, government or exchanges

I think Bitcoin need exchanges that show that they have the money either by being audited by a trusted third party or giving the public addresses where the funds are

greenlion

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 04:01:13 PM

American regulators need to shut their stupid uneducated sensationalist pandering mouths about drugs, murder for hire, human trafficking, terrorism, etc. and actually talk about consumer protection. Do your stupid job instead of grandstand about bullshit you know nothing about on camera.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: