Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:37:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accumulators all of the world - unite (???)  (Read 1062 times)
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 04:06:07 AM

I got to musing about things a bit while driving around today.  If one wishes to end the (proverbial) day sitting on a pile of a commodity, it seems that one has a lot more flexibility than someone who wants to maximize $$$ no matter whether they are short of long...even if one really believes that bacon will save the world, twenty truckloads of pork bellies rotting in one's back yard it not a very desirable outcome.  A bunch of representation in the block chain may or may not be desirable in the end, but it's worth a chance to me.

I wonder if it would not be possible for a small group of reasonably well capitalized people with a common end-goal to cooperate in order to achieve two things:

- maximize their accumulation of BTC.

- give short sellers a painful and swollen rectal area.

and indeed, to use each of these objectives in support of the other.

I don't think that it would be illegal in the Bitcoin-land at these wild early days, but would be happy to entertain alternate theories on this.  Unethical?  Probably.  Cruel?  ya.  Effective?  Dunno.  Good for Bitcoin generally?  maybe, maybe not.  Risky?  Probably.  Fun?  I would suspect so.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 04:27:42 AM

I wonder if it would not be possible for a small group of reasonably well capitalized people with a common end-goal to cooperate in order to achieve two things:

If they saw a bright future in bitcoins then sure, they might accumulate as many as possible.  But they also know they could be the bag holders when everyone else loses interest.  Not too many investors are willing to play the part of the benevolent investor, who doesn't mind taking a large loss for the public good.

I don't think that it would be illegal in the Bitcoin-land at these wild early days, but would be happy to entertain alternate theories on this.  Unethical?  Probably.  Cruel?  ya.  Effective?  Dunno.  Good for Bitcoin generally?  maybe, maybe not.  Risky?  Probably.  Fun?  I would suspect so

Illegal?  What sort of laws, and under which jurisdiction, would any of the above be illegal?  Bitcoin isn't recognised as a serious investment tool or commodity.  It's like trading basketball or Magic The Gathering cards.  If someone corners the market and doesn't play fair you can hardly go complaining to the police that your Michael Jordan trading cards fell in value.

Unethical?  When do ethics come into trading when it comes to accumulating as much money as possible?  Wink

Everyone knows short selling is essentially gambling.  Regardless of all the fancy graphs and protestations on BitcoinTalk about how the market should go this way or must go that way, people really have little clue about short to medium term variance.  
tvbcof (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 08:31:58 AM

If they saw a bright future in bitcoins then sure, they might accumulate as many as possible.  But they also know they could be the bag holders when everyone else loses interest.  Not too many investors are willing to play the part of the benevolent investor, who doesn't mind taking a large loss for the public good.

I'm betting that it's a big world with a lot of problems.  Even if Bitcoin is recognized as just as a very short term transit medium, I theorize that it could have a significant value.  So, my motives are profit driven to be sure.  I theorize about an outside possibility of use which is more benevolent in nature, but it's to long a shot to worry about.

But anyway, someone in your situation (not interested in amassing a sizable position for whatever reason) is obviously not a candidate for participation in a manipulation scheme such as I'm thinking of.

I don't think that it would be illegal in the Bitcoin-land at these wild early days, but would be happy to entertain alternate theories on this.  Unethical?  Probably.  Cruel?  ya.  Effective?  Dunno.  Good for Bitcoin generally?  maybe, maybe not.  Risky?  Probably.  Fun?  I would suspect so

Illegal?  What sort of laws, and under which jurisdiction, would any of the above be illegal?  Bitcoin isn't recognised as a serious investment tool or commodity.  It's like trading basketball or Magic The Gathering cards.  If someone corners the market and doesn't play fair you can hardly go complaining to the police that your Michael Jordan trading cards fell in value.

These are my assumptions as well, but I am not a lawyer.

Unethical?  When do ethics come into trading when it comes to accumulating as much money as possible?  Wink

Everyone knows short selling is essentially gambling.  Regardless of all the fancy graphs and protestations on BitcoinTalk about how the market should go this way or must go that way, people really have little clue about short to medium term variance.  

I don't think I would have any significant ethical problems damaging the 'free market' in this way at this time, or giving people who wish to short sell one more thing to worry about.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
sukiho

Activity: 514
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 08:46:07 AM

I think your definition is wrong. Accumulating bitcoins is speculation and doesnt help the bitcoin economy. Day trading with them is using them as a currency to buy and sell. Not perfect, but its drugs and day trading that are keeping it alive until it gets more widely used.
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 09:04:06 AM

i'm in

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 09:14:18 AM

I got to musing about things a bit while driving around today.  If one wishes to end the (proverbial) day sitting on a pile of a commodity, it seems that one has a lot more flexibility than someone who wants to maximize $$$ no matter whether they are short of long...even if one really believes that bacon will save the world, twenty truckloads of pork bellies rotting in one's back yard it not a very desirable outcome.  A bunch of representation in the block chain may or may not be desirable in the end, but it's worth a chance to me.

My approach to maximize my BTC holding is: selling at 16 and buying back when they are cheaper, but I am not sure that this is now.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 02:09:44 PM

I think your definition is wrong. Accumulating bitcoins is speculation and doesnt help the bitcoin economy. Day trading with them is using them as a currency to buy and sell. Not perfect, but its drugs and day trading that are keeping it alive until it gets more widely used.

speculation is required at the beginning of any new idea or business.  afterall, if it was so obvious everyone would want in immediately and no one would make a profit.  making that profit means speculating when everyone sees nothing but blood.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: