Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:17:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1BTC or 1oz of Gold. Which one would you take?  (Read 5848 times)
FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:57:10 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 11:12:33 PM by FalconFly

No brainer if I'm offered Gold or something else, I'd always go for Gold. Simply can't go wrong with that.
(my only exception once a while could be : Platinum)

Of course, "something else" may yield higher profit or alike in the future but at my age that's not my primary concern. Nothing virtual beats the security of physical AU in your own hands.
You must be really old Smiley Thinking that "virtual" (mind you, that's actually "digital") is somehow less real than physical.

Do you also consider email not to be real letters?

Hehe, being old has its advantages...
Digital is not necessarily less real than physical - but I do know Bits flip-flop all too easy, maintained by storage devices never intended to work for longer than a few years, built by the cheapest component bidder somewhere in asia.
Bits are nothing of value unless you can convert them into something valuable while they exist for your use.

Bits can vanish for a number of reasons, since they're always relying 100.0% of all times on a whole series of hightech requirement chains. Take a single one of these links away and the chain breaks.
Technically speaking, they're just as real as gold but are always a "heavily endangered species" in comparison. They're easy to erase or manipulate.

Gold (or any other precious metal) does not rely on anything. It just exists in physical form since billions of years (and don't get me started on paper gold, anyone holding these IOUs for other than trading purposes is a fool).

EMails are real letters, but converted into the digital world. Try to hold them on any storage platform for 20 years+ and you find out why digital storage conservation is such a hefty issue (even for professional storage industry). Do it using consumer storage devices and you're in for a religious experience, unless you very carefully maintain a 100% constant migration stragety. In comparison, it's easy to find physical letters (despite being paper) that even survived world wars or many centuries.

There's a saying that "the internet never forgets" but that's a myth. Every day, uncountable amounts of data vanish into DEV>NUL without you even knowing they ever existed. Plus, one shouldn't take free/unrestricted access to the internet as granted and "will be there forever". That's a foolish assumption at best, as lots of factors could interfere with that.

Therefor, there are significant differences between virtual and real goods. Many people didn't know these and learned it the hard way one day with far less relevant matters than money.
Now imagine people converting their wealth into the digital world and unknowingly accepting all these risks they aren't even aware of.
Plus, all that stuff is even connected to the Internet in order to work. Worst security preconditions one could possibly think of.

When it comes to increasingly long timeframes, anything digital is simply no competition to physical value, no matter what anyone wants to tell you otherwise (i.e. "as good as gold").
That's the advantage of being an older generation, over time you learned what value really means.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 02:02:15 PM

I'd personally take gold. I like things I can hold.

Oh really? what else do you like to 'hold' ?

LOL

There are tangible bitcoins  . . .

Not your junk #nohomo heh

Buy peptides with BTC
minlihua

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:02:21 PM

depends on the price Smiley

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                               
icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:30:07 PM

I'm all about silver personally. But definatley wouldn't mind holding a 1oz gold coin either. At this stage I'd take gold over Bitcoin mainly because of the price currently Tongue
bubbagumpshrimp

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:59:16 PM

Gold for sure then sell the gold buy 20 ounces of silver and the rest in bitcoin and doge.
waldox

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 05:14:57 PM

bitcoin has better 5 year horizon prospects

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ryanmnercer

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 05:45:03 PM

bitcoin has better 5 year horizon prospects

Maybe, and in 5 years people could be saying "remember when all those people put money into bitcoin and in a month it went from 2,000 USD per bitcoin to 0.01 USD per bitcoin when the bubble burst?"

Buy peptides with BTC
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:50:40 PM

Gold Accepting Grocery. Come to think about it. Roll Eyes
FalconFly

Sentinel

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:30:59 PM

Gold Accepting Grocery. Come to think about it. Roll Eyes

Just go back 100 years, gold and silver accepted anywhere. Then the FED was founded, which btw. will happily take your Gold/Silver any day - preferrably at a discount price of course Wink

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
vitarian

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:48:12 PM

Well, both are going down, but which one will go down the most? At least gold has some tangible properties, but it is difficult to carry around with you in your wallet or purse. I'd go with bitcoin in the long term.
ryanmnercer

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 09:54:16 PM

Well, both are going down, but which one will go down the most? At least gold has some tangible properties, but it is difficult to carry around with you in your wallet or purse. I'd go with bitcoin in the long term.

Gold is unlikely to ever lose a lot of it's value simply due to it's industrial applications (and possible medical applications, some gold salts are showing promise for auto-immune issues) unless some radical development in superconductors happens that allows for cheap fabrication of a better conductor that has better properties and similar anti-corrosive properties. Bitcoin on the other hand has a considerable chance of being worthless in the near future due to any number of reasons.

Buy peptides with BTC
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:12:54 AM

Is 0.5 BTC and 0.5 oz. gold an option?

Because I'd prefer to take a little from column A and a little from column B.
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 12:29:40 AM

Gold. More expensive than that amount of bitcoins, and also I don´t have any gold but I have some bits.
bolverk

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:31:51 AM

When it comes to increasingly long timeframes, anything digital is simply no competition to physical value, no matter what anyone wants to tell you otherwise (i.e. "as good as gold").
That's the advantage of being an older generation, over time you learned what value really means.

+1000  Great post.
bolverk

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:35:18 AM

I'm all about silver personally. But definatley wouldn't mind holding a 1oz gold coin either. At this stage I'd take gold over Bitcoin mainly because of the price currently Tongue

Silver has a lot of potential right now.  The silver:gold ratio is way out of whack from the it's traditional 35:1 (in the modern era), which means a lot more upside potential than gold.  As much as gold is artificially depressed, silver is magnitudes more so.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:42:07 AM

+1000  Great post.

That's only because physicalness has implied scarcity.  If tomorrow FTL space travel were invented and super cheap and we discovered a million earths rich in resources and suddenly physicality was as cheap and plentiful as digital things, then the "real value" of being physical would diminish almost completely.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:43:20 AM

I didn't say it before but I just wanted to add that I'll most certainly be getting some silver haha and u know this !  Grin
epplercharles

Activity: 15
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:10:08 AM

I would take gold. Even after 3 thousand years gold is valuable. But it is not in the case of BTC.
wendall

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 08:34:40 AM

One BTC is around $500 in today's price.
One oz gold is around $1348 in today's price.

SO selecting gold is good option.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:07:35 AM

Gold. Gold has value even when someone turned the electricity off.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: