Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:55:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 Hydro: Bitmain's New Water-Cooled 18TH/s  (Read 185 times)
taserz (OP)

Activity: 800
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 04:51:46 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2018, 05:26:06 PM by taserz

BEIJING, Aug. 23, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Bitmain, a well-known cryptocurrency equipment provider, officially announced the release of its flagship product Antminer S9 Hydro. It is the eighth product launched this year, after the introduction of Antminer S9i, ANTBOX and Z9mini, etc. Antminer S9 Hydro pioneers a water cooled system, creating a new mining model with low noise and high energy savings.This new miner supports SHA256 algorithm and it can mine mainstream digital currencies such as BTC and BCH.

Antminer S9 Hydro has a rated hashrate of 18T and a wall power consumption of about 1728W. Unlike traditional air cooled miners, S9 Hydro adopts a water cooled system for heat dissipation and it can mine along with a specific power source: the APW5. Individuals or families can use a S9 Hydro-Hex external water circulation module for heat dissipation, while in large mining farms, low noise and high energy saving mining effects can be achieved with outdoor water source.

For the first time, Antminer S9 Hydro is adopting the most innovative water cooling design available for heat dissipation. Thanks to the customized and high-precision water cooling module, S9 Hydro can support the direct introduction of outdoor water source that meets the water quality requirements and quickly cool down the computing boards and other components inside the miner. During operation, the chip temperature difference is only around 5°C, which can greatly improve the performance and stability of the miner.

Mainly focusing on noise reduction and energy saving, S9 Hydro helps to decrease the maintenance cost of mining farms

Antminer S9 Hydro also performs strongly in terms of noise reduction. The water cooling system reduces not only the internal temperature of the miner, but also most of its noise during the operation. Relevant data shows that under the same working temperature, S9 Hydro can decrease the noise by up to 20dB compared with air cooled miners.

In large mining farms equipped with outdoor water source, the reduction of chip temperature will help save about 8%-12% of the electricity, an obvious energy-saving advantage. Unlike the use of fans of air cooled miners, the water cooling system can directly enter the inside of the miner to dissipate heat, and ensuring the long-term operation stability.

In addition, S9 Hydro also has the advantages of dustproofing and easy maintenance. More than 95% of the power consumption can be moved external via the water circulation system, which greatly reduces the required air volume of the miner, effectively avoids dust deposits inside the machine, and decreases the risk of short circuit or corrosion of internal components. The innovative design of S9 Hydro contributes to the maintenance of large mining farms and the reduction of operating costs.

Antminer S9 Hydro is officially on sale from today.

It is for the chinese market only right now but they can be found on alibaba.com

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sarcheer
Copper Member

Activity: 330
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 06:58:10 PM

Any ideas how much it will cost? Will it include all the hardware or will we be required to source the radiator setup, fluid, etc..?

Miners:
Avalon 1041, Whatsminer M10, Antminer T15 x 2, DragonMint T1 x 3, Innosilicon T2T, R4 x 2
taserz (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 06:59:16 PM

Any ideas how much it will cost? Will it include all the hardware or will we be required to source the radiator setup, fluid, etc..?

I found it on the bitmain Chinese site it costs $1,100 USD but it's china only right now (alibaba you can get them though). I am not sure if that is with the radiator or not though. You can just use water to cool these since it's using a water block but mineral oil is cheap.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
dorofeev
Copper Member

Activity: 79
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 07:57:19 PM

Im honestly surprised it took so long to implement liquid cooling into miners from the "factory" it only makes since with how much heat is a problem. I have mined on my liquid cooled gaming PC's quite a bit and always kept them at about half the temp as my fan cooled miners. I saw that another company was offering a liquid cooled miner now but I forget the name...  Huh
sarcheer
Copper Member

Activity: 330
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 08:21:04 PM

Canaan/Avalon is beginning to offer them as a kit for the 841 I believe. Don't know what all it comes with though.

Miners:
Avalon 1041, Whatsminer M10, Antminer T15 x 2, DragonMint T1 x 3, Innosilicon T2T, R4 x 2
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 09:17:33 PM

A lot of miners were made with liquid cooling from the factory some years ago, especially when a lot of companies made large high-power CPU-type miners. And then they started realizing that exotic cooling solutions tended to be expensive and unreliable, and high-power CPU type miners tended to be expensive and unreliable, and so now we have the air-cooled matrix of <10W chips for everything. As long as you don't try and pack multiple kilowatts into a single small box, it tends to be inexpensive and reliable without the need for complexity. Liquid cooling is only really necessary when you insist on unsustainable power density.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
taserz (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 11:13:29 PM

A lot of miners were made with liquid cooling from the factory some years ago, especially when a lot of companies made large high-power CPU-type miners. And then they started realizing that exotic cooling solutions tended to be expensive and unreliable, and high-power CPU type miners tended to be expensive and unreliable, and so now we have the air-cooled matrix of <10W chips for everything. As long as you don't try and pack multiple kilowatts into a single small box, it tends to be inexpensive and reliable without the need for complexity. Liquid cooling is only really necessary when you insist on unsustainable power density.

You get the added benefit for overclocking though.

Also if this becomes a new standard or an option this would really help miners in places that are hot and humid where evap cooling won't work. I am curious if you would even need much of a pump or if just letting the hot water rise to a radiator up above would work since we know the chips can handle if the water got warm and that would mean you could pipe the outlets of the miners all together into a bunch of radiators in parallel and not have to worry about pumping if the cold water runs back down the inlet. Granted a cheap pump is probably smart to have but physics could do it all and I bet these miners could handle it.

I want to buy one of these or a few to play with some setup idea for large scale cooling but I can't justify $1k on a s9 with a water block when I have s9's already.... Sell me the water block and let me drill the holes that would be nice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: