Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:52:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Alternate cryptocurrencies]Litecoin  (Read 4140 times)
CAMOPEJB

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:55:10 PM

OK, you can forbid business transactions bigger than 1k in the first 6hrs after difficulty change right?
I'm not saying that LTC can substitute BTC but for fast small transactions it is ideal solution.

And yes, LTC network has potential to grow that big, because if you spent $0 on your mining rig, its not a problem to have just $10/week (+electricity)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 03:58:13 PM

OK, you can forbid business transactions bigger than 1k in the first 6hrs after difficulty change right?
I'm not saying that LTS can substitute BTC but for fast small transactions it is ideal solution.

It doesn't have to be in first 6 hours.  The block chain won't be locked again for 3.5 days.  So attacker spending starting hour 7 and then initiates building private block chain and performs double spend once it has larger chain than the legit chain.   If it was that simple to "solve" the 51% dilemma with token effort it would already be solved.

Looks BTC isn't immune to a 51% attack either however the massive size and the "multiplier" by using more efficient hardware (GPU) makes that attack many magnitudes more difficult.
CAMOPEJB

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 04:03:47 PM

Aham. Thanks for clearing this out  Smiley

LTC is young crypto currency - time will tell is it good enough for market.
I don't want to invest in AMD rig so I'm sticking with LTC  Wink
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:08:32 PM

A botnet can attack only with it's CPU, because usually infected pc doesn't have a proper gpu or, even if they do, maybe they doesn't have the right drivers or what else, while every computer has a cpu.

Now, if you attack Bitcoin, it's pretty useless, a few GPUs have enough power to stop a whole botnet.

If you attack litecoin or another cpu coin, it will be very effective since ALL miners are cpu miners.

AnttiM

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 09:36:08 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2011, 10:18:31 PM by AnttiM

Hello,

I'm currently trying out the Litecoin miner. It seems it's a little too aggressive, can the aggression be tinkered with somehow?

I can't make full use of my GPUs while the Litecoin CPU miner's on. This restricts its usefulness very much.
CAMOPEJB

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 12:05:13 AM

Lower priority of minerd  Wink
robocop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 08:15:46 AM

And yes, LTC network has potential to grow that big, because if you spent $0 on your mining rig, its not a problem to have just $10/week (+electricity)

I don´t understand the logic because if it is easier to mine litecoins then the number of litecoins will growing up more quickly -> price is going down -> the interest of litecoins decrease.

The bitcoin mining is better because big organizations and companies can´t mine with their powerful cpu-driven hardware and the freaks with their watercooled GPUs are in advantage and it would be an bad business for companies to upgrade their hardware and buy powerful gpu-driven hardware.

In my optinion the GPU preferation make sense and is important to limit the influence of commercial companies like google or some big financial institutes.

And the performance of litecoin or other bitcoin similar currencies show that the interest and acceptance is very low.
And by the way it is not comparable with the bitcoin self because as the bitcoin was born the community was a lot of smaller than today.
But the litecoin has these community here for advertising and nevertheless the price don´t increase.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 01:05:16 PM

I don´t understand the logic because if it is easier to mine litecoins then the number of litecoins will growing up more quickly -> price is going down -> the interest of litecoins decrease.

Well the rate of LTC (or BTC or xCoin) generation is fixed.  More miners don't mean more LTC.  That is why blockchains have higher difficulty.

Of course the reverse is the problem with robocops logic.   More miners means it is harder to get a single LTC (as the supply is fixed).  Thus if the network is 500x as large then it would be 500x harder to 51% but it also means the average miner would get 1/500th as many LTC.
Choad

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 08:54:57 PM

As mentioned elsewhere, there is a problem with mining with a botnet.  People start to suspect things are wrong with their computer when it starts slowing down like it would if it was using 100% CPU to mine.  I guess if they could restrict it to only use a certain amount of CPU it would be less detectable.  I have noticeable lag even with it set on lowest priority using all cores of my 2600k. 

Also, wouldn't it take a long time for a bunch of small computers to solo mine?  And if using a pool, wouldn't it effectively DDoS the pool, like what happened with BTC Guild?

You can think up all the scenarios you want, but history in economics has shown that factors never previously considered often show up and change the game.  That's the only thing I can predict with litecoin.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 09:49:16 PM

As mentioned elsewhere, there is a problem with mining with a botnet.  People start to suspect things are wrong with their computer when it starts slowing down like it would if it was using 100% CPU to mine.  I guess if they could restrict it to only use a certain amount of CPU it would be less detectable.  I have noticeable lag even with it set on lowest priority using all cores of my 2600k. 

Also, wouldn't it take a long time for a bunch of small computers to solo mine?  And if using a pool, wouldn't it effectively DDoS the pool, like what happened with BTC Guild?

You can think up all the scenarios you want, but history in economics has shown that factors never previously considered often show up and change the game.  That's the only thing I can predict with litecoin.

No.

1) lower priority @ 100% load is still 100% load.  A smart botnet controller would have the zombies hash at say 40% load which wouldn't even cause the CPU fan to spin to higher speed.

2) They don't need to solo mine.  They can either join a pool (maybe Bitcoin pools have thrown botnetters out of the pool once caught) or they could form their own "private pool".  It wouldn't DDOS them since the communications would be routine not intentional attacks.  If the botnet was too large for a single pool they could use multiple "subpools" either public or private.

So there is no problem with mining using a botnet.  With GPU based chains the limited power of botnet means the profits and options for blockchain attacks are limited.  Against a GPU hostile chain very easy for a botnet to be a significant fraction of the hashing power. 
Choad

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 10:29:34 PM

Well, you basically just confirmed what I was saying on the first point.  Not sure how they'd limit it to 40% CPU or something though.  I would like a way to do that on certain things.

I was under the impression that it'd be prohibitively expensive to get a server for a private pool with ~250k workers.  And that that many workers will kill any of the public pools, even with their multiple servers.  BTC Guild had that problem.  Somebody was obviously using a botnet and it DDoSed them, so now all CPU clients are banned.  I also assumed it'd be damn near impossible to manage 250k computers using a bunch of different pools.  I don't know.  I haven't read about how botnet works since back when they were controlled via private IRC channels, heh.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:05:07 PM

I was under the impression that it'd be prohibitively expensive to get a server for a private pool with ~250k workers.  And that that many workers will kill any of the public pools, even with their multiple servers.  BTC Guild had that problem.  Somebody was obviously using a botnet and it DDoSed them, so now all CPU clients are banned.  I also assumed it'd be damn near impossible to manage 250k computers using a bunch of different pools.  I don't know.  I haven't read about how botnet works since back when they were controlled via private IRC channels, heh.

I think you are confused.  It wasn't botnet mining that brought down BTC Guild.  BTC Guild banned a botnet and then they ATTACKED (not mined but launched a syn flood attack) the major pools in retribution.  The fact that BTC Guild kicked them off indicates that prior to being kicked off they were mining just fine on the pool. 
Choad

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 04:58:48 PM

I think you are confused.  It wasn't botnet mining that brought down BTC Guild.  BTC Guild banned a botnet and then they ATTACKED (not mined but launched a syn flood attack) the major pools in retribution.  The fact that BTC Guild kicked them off indicates that prior to being kicked off they were mining just fine on the pool. 

I guess so.  There was an announcement somewhere along the lines of "Dear botnet owner, the servers can't handle all the traffic from your bots, so I have to block you." so that would be pretty misleading.  Or maybe that wasn't BTCG.  Then a couple days later I couldn't get any CPU miners to connect to BTCG and went into the IRC channel to ask what's up and the admin said they're all blocked on his pool, because of botnets and stale shares. 
Larzsolice

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:36:53 PM

I was wondering about the economics of Litecoin...

When Bitcoin's value dropped because of the People's Bank of China's attempt to make buying difficult, the value of Litecoin also dropped. How closely are the prices of Bitcoin and Litecoin connected? And if they are seperate currencies, why should their values be connected?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: