Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:54:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC Wants Second Look at Nine Bitcoin ETFs  (Read 121 times)
Phlaser (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2018, 10:34:59 AM

One day after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rejected proposed rule changes for nine bitcoin ETFs, the Commission initiated a review of all related decisions. Three rejection orders made on August 22 are now stayed pending the review by the SEC Chairman and the Commissioners.

Also read: Yahoo! Japan Confirms Entrance Into the Crypto Space

SEC Initiates Review of Nine Bitcoin ETFs
SEC Wants Second Look at Nine Bitcoin ETFsAfter rejecting the proposed rule changes for nine bitcoin ETFs, the SEC sent out notices stating that it will review the delegated actions on all of them. All August 22 rejection orders are now stayed.

This is the first time the SEC initiated a review of its staff decisions on bitcoin ETFs. In contrast, when the proposed rule change for the Winklevoss bitcoin ETF was rejected in March, it took Bats BZX exchange to file a petition for the Commission to review the decision.

https://News.Bitcoin.com reached out to the SEC for comments. According to Rule 431(c) of the SEC’s Rules of Practice:

The Commission may, on its own initiative, order review of any action made pursuant to delegated authority at any time, provided, however, that where there are one or more parties to the matter, such review shall not be ordered more than ten days after the action. The vote of one member of the Commission, conveyed to the Secretary, shall be sufficient to bring a matter before the Commission for review.

Commissioner Peirce’s Comments
While the Commission did not confirm which Commissioner(s) called for the review, Commissioner Hester Peirce has been vocal on social media about the review taking place.

She has since tweeted, “Yesterday’s staff orders disapproving SRO rules related to a number of bitcoin ETFs are stayed pending Commission review,” elaborating:

The Commission (Chairman and Commissioners) delegates some tasks to its staff. When the staff acts in such cases, it acts on behalf of the Commission. The Commission may review the staff’s action, as will now happen here.

SEC Wants Second Look at Nine Bitcoin ETFs
Commissioner Hester Peirce.
In March last year, when the SEC rejected the proposed rule change by Bats BZX exchange, Peirce was not yet at the Commission. In a recent interview with CNBC, she said that she had been at the Commission for only six months and was not part of the original decision made on said bitcoin ETF.

Following the March rejection, Bats BZX exchange filed a petition for a review with the SEC; the final decision was made over a year later. Peirce was part of the final review and she voted for the approval of the bitcoin ETF while three of her colleagues voted against.

Furthermore, she said during the interview that the Commission overstepped its bounds by rejecting bitcoin ETFs based on the underlying market.

Three Review Orders
On August 23, the SEC sent out three letters. One was sent to Cboe Global Markets regarding two Graniteshares bitcoin ETFs. Two were sent to NYSE Group regarding five Direxion bitcoin ETFs and two Proshares bitcoin ETFs. All nine were rejected on August 22, as https://news.Bitcoin.com reported.

The three letters similarly read:

This letter is to notify you that, pursuant to Rule 431 of the Commission’s Rules of Practice, 17 CFR 201.431, the Commission will review the delegated action. In accordance with Rule 431(e), the August 22 order is stayed until the Commission orders otherwise.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 10:48:54 AM

I think they are just stalling the approval of Bitcoin ETFs for some reason and they are planning keep it hanging as long as they can.
GeorgiyBilyk

Activity: 378
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 03:36:25 PM

do not worry! sooner or later they will start to give positive results! September 7 there will be another commission for approval! now very rich people want to lower bitcoins so that they can buy it! and then for expensive to sell! perhaps they affect the approval of the commission!

△ M!R△CLE TELE   ▌  BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY  ▐   JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 03:39:48 PM

do not worry! sooner or later they will start to give positive results! September 7 there will be another commission for approval! now very rich people want to lower bitcoins so that they can buy it! and then for expensive to sell! perhaps they affect the approval of the commission!

No it will not pass, please all te noobs need to understand that it will be pushed back to 2019. Now it's the time to keep getting as much cheap bitcoins as possible before the next bull run frenzy FOMO rocket kicks in. Im not even sure if the ETF will pass in 2019 but for me it's 2019 minimum, I give a 2018 ETF something lower than %10 for it to pass.

I mean this is Bitcoin after all and we've seen crazier things happening, but being realistic about things leads me to believe we are at least one year away from an ETF, in 2019 we'll have some other rejections and then finally it will come later that year. January 2019, I give that a 50/50 chance. There's definitely a demand for an ETF but they want to delay it to keep prices down so they can keep manipulating via futures.
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 03:48:55 PM

I highly doubt that we are going to see positive outcome of the second look at BTC ETF. If Winkelvoks failed to push the ETF I doubt that this one will get accepted. There are many things we need to take into consideration, I guess that market has not yet mature well enough. ETF will be approved at sometime for sure but I am highly skeptical for it to be this year. I mean it surely is not an easy thing to do as if accepted it will cause huge pump in the market and everyone is expecting that. Though it is still a good thing that they are reviewing it once again as this might have good impact on future proposals.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: