Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:56:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Karpeles Personal Bitcoin Holdings  (Read 2440 times)
lorix (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:52:03 AM

Is there any information out there regarding any Bitcoins Mark holds himself personally?

He no doubt would have a number under his belt and it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he kept them off his own exchange for obvious reasons.

I'm not going to speculate on insider issues here, but that aside would MtGox customers be able to make some sort of claim and get a ruling for restitution from any personal assets that he holds? (That's assuming he hasn't conveniently forgotten his own private keys)

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 06:53:17 AM

Probably a few thousand if I had to guess. No way he's sharing that with customers tho :]

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 07:42:17 AM

surely they are tucked away so that later on when the heat is off of him, he can make away with it.

tanil

Activity: 136

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:58:38 AM

Possible bu who can escape with 350 billion dollars and where?
lorix (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:48:51 AM

surely they are tucked away so that later on when the heat is off of him, he can make away with it.

True, but if authorities have reason to suspect he is holding onto Bitcoins he may be forced to hand them over as part of a settlement.

grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:56:41 AM

True, but if authorities have reason to suspect he is holding onto Bitcoins he may be forced to hand them over as part of a settlement.
The same authorities who have so far gone on record as saying bitcoin has no value?
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:56:47 AM

My guess would be he has anywhere between 10.000 and 80.000 btc.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:58:34 AM

where is that article which says mark karpeles has 330k personal bitcoins..... it was 8 months ago approx, reuters or forbes i think
Epinnoia

Activity: 209

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:25:48 PM

There is a problem with this.  They're not tangible.  What you are REALLY speaking about are KEYS.  And those keys can be entirely in his head with a service like brainwallet.  He could create a relatively long passphrase, and then append something akin to "wallet001" to the end of it.  And he'd have 1000 wallets in his head.  You think you can compel him to give them out?  Ha!

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
p-webcorp

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:39:35 PM

Creating an authority what block 'blacklisted' public addresses to send and receive trabsfers, if impossible to confirm the transfer, the value is vault =0. Haha, and no more hack, and no any country authoity to take anything.
Blocking the last 5000 bitcoin 'out' from mtgox, and if someone reclame the coins, just need to proove the origin(mining-buy).
If any transfer connected to familiar to employees to gox, then stay blocked, unlock=handling the private key to this coinauthority and they redistribute to the rightful owners.
With real money you can not make the same
Bonio

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:58:26 PM

You think you can compel him to give them out?  Ha!

....erm .... yes Smiley Someone could Wink

lorix (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 02:02:22 PM

There is a problem with this.  They're not tangible.  What you are REALLY speaking about are KEYS.  And those keys can be entirely in his head with a service like brainwallet.  He could create a relatively long passphrase, and then append something akin to "wallet001" to the end of it.  And he'd have 1000 wallets in his head.  You think you can compel him to give them out?  Ha!

Given the amount of money involved - yes.

Add to that the prospect a number of very bad people likely had a fair few BTC on there I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to motivate him.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 02:10:07 PM

i guess he owns 850.000 BTC  Wink

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 02:25:08 PM

where is that article which says mark karpeles has 330k personal bitcoins..... it was 8 months ago approx, reuters or forbes i think

I could be wrong but,
Wouldn't that be more than what the FBI has seized from Silkroad and DPR?

surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:07:50 PM

I could be wrong but,

er... Yes
S4VV4S

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:27:38 PM

I could be wrong but,

er... Yes

So doesn't that make Mark's wallet the biggest in the world?

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:59:23 PM

im pretty sure it was in an interview with forbes saying mark karpeles has over 300k PERSONAL bitcoin holdings, i think the figure was 338k hmmm not sure though.  i cant find the link, its out there on the internet.

remember the 120k is MtGox the company. i dont believe he has lost his personal bitcoin holdings, because he wouldnt keep that with the company.

mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:15:23 PM

You can't fight city hall.    If the regulators become aware of him holding large amounts of personal bitcoins,  the court can issue an order that he act to transfer them to state custody.

And they WILL be watching him,  after his company walked away with 500 million in customer assets.
There's a good chance he could be ordered to pay retribution.

In the event he refuses, he can be held in contempt and put in jail until he becomes compliant.

Otherwise:  he may be compelled to swear to a statement about his personal assets.
If the statement is later found to be wrong, then he goes to prison for  40 years.

What good is 1000 wallets in your head,   when you may be locked away for life should you spend even one coin?

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:51:53 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 09:02:57 PM by surfer43

I could be wrong but,

er... Yes

No. Satoshi is estimated to have at least 1 million bitcoin stored in addresses with 50 BTC each.
S4VV4S

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:20:29 PM

I could be wrong but,

er... Yes

No. Satoshi is estimated to have at least 1 million bitcoin stored in addresses with 50 BTC each.

That is just an estimation.

Also, many people mined back then and then deleted their wallets because it was worthless at the time.

So it is not certain as to how much coins Satoshi mined.

Also, it is not also certain that Satoshi even kept his wallets.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: