Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:16:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help setting up a very simple webserver...  (Read 1834 times)
frankiebits (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 02:38:25 AM

So I want to host a tiny one page site from my computer for multiple domain names i have
 , the same page for all sites, 1 page , mostly a small amount of text

can someone help me with this in windows and i will donate some coin to them??

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 02:41:04 AM

What are you starting from? Any hosting software installed already?

Look into XAMPP - very easy to config, you should be able to handle it yourself, or ask me any questions you have Smiley
frankiebits (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 12:15:37 PM

What are you starting from? Any hosting software installed already?

Look into XAMPP - very easy to config, you should be able to handle it yourself, or ask me any questions you have Smiley

Thanks, I have it installed , set up a root password , an sql name and password, all I need to know is how to put one page in folder that I can host but keep everything else secure...

basically i am here right now, i played around with the admin sections but still don't understand most of the lingo.. Huh

sorry , this is something i have never had to deal with before, every site i had i just designed the page in frontpage 2001 (yea that long ago lol) uploaded it to my hosts ftp and it worked... this seems a little more complicated
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 02:08:36 PM

I'm not sure where XAMPP installs offhand, but look for that and t hen in the htdocs folder is where it hosts pages, I believe. Try backing up what's in htdocs now and then putting whatever you want hosted in there.

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 02:25:40 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2011, 02:43:22 PM by 左

So I want to host a tiny one page site from my computer for multiple domain names i have
 , the same page for all sites, 1 page , mostly a small amount of text

can someone help me with this in windows and i will donate some coin to them??
I've a better idea. How about you point all your domains at my host, and I'll host your one page for 1BTC a month Smiley. (PM for details. Offer open to all.) (Until I work out the mechanics of this, I ain't going to offer it.)

I seriously would suggest don't host a website on MS Windows machine, esp. not a machine at home. If you aren't a pro., it is really easy for things to go wrong. And then your home machine is screwed. Also, XAMPP is not meant to be used for live sites.

The default configuration is not good from a securtiy point of view and it's not secure enough for a production environment - please don't use XAMPP in such environment.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 02:30:49 PM

first: get rid of Windows© and install a decent operating system.

Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 07:20:37 PM

Considering he only wants to host 1 page (and I'm assuming html in that case), it should be secure enough. Just once you've got the page setup disable the mysql and filezilla parts of xampp and you should be good.
frankiebits (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 03:14:33 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2011, 03:25:20 PM by frankiebits

Considering he only wants to host 1 page (and I'm assuming html in that case), it should be secure enough. Just once you've got the page setup disable the mysql and filezilla parts of xampp and you should be good.

Ok I made the page, put it in the right folder, when i go to 127.0.0.1 it comes up, but when i try to see it thru my ip it times out, are there certain ports i need to forward with my router?

Edit: what about my subnet ip?
Garrett Burgwardt

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 05:33:21 PM

You need to have port 80 open.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 01:42:52 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2011, 02:52:10 AM by mewantsbitcoins

1. Assuming you have more than one computer at home, you should assign a static IP adress to your machine(say *.*.*.100), otherwise everytime you turn your computer off, you'll have to redo port forwarding.(see step 2)
2. Setup port forwarding on your router so that all incoming requests on port 80 are forwarded to your computer(*.*.*.100) on port 80.
3. Point all your domains at your router IP, which you can find out by visiting a site like http://www.whatismyip.com/

I would recomend WAMP as it is slightly more user friendly.

first: get rid of Windows© and install a decent operating system.

this is a very fair comment if you intend to leave your machine on 24/7

Regards,
Soon to be CCNA qualified  Grin
m

P.S. Anyone who needs help regarding these matters or anything to do with networks are welcome to pm me.
sorathia

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 01:29:34 PM by sorathia

I wouldn't get a VPS.  VPS might be more than what he actually needs to do.  There are shared hosting available for less than $5 per month... I host my site, http://www.bookingtool.com on shared and it runs great.  For a simple 1 page site, that should be more than sufficient.
Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 06:39:05 PM

Ok I made the page, put it in the right folder, when i go to 127.0.0.1 it comes up, but when i try to see it thru my ip it times out, are there certain ports i need to forward with my router?

Edit: what about my subnet ip?

Just open up port 80 and you should be good to go.

Step 1: Buy a VPS. Do NOT host a website from your home connection, it's going to end badly. I personally recommend DigitalOcean.

Step 2: Point all your DNS names at the IP address.

Step 3: Install apache2 / httpd (depending if you want debian based operating systems or rhel based)

Step 4: Use winscp and copy / paste the html file into /var/www/

Step 5: The website should load for all the domains.

Bam! $5 / month for hosting all those sites.

As long as he isn't promoting his sites past his friends, I don't see much of an issue. If he is, then this is good information (whether gets shared or a VPS \/). Hosting a website on a home connection can not only put yourself at risk for infiltrations, but can also be a breach of contract for many ISPs.

I wouldn't get a VPS.  VPS might be more than what he actually needs to do.  There are shared hosting available for less than $5 per month... I host my site, http://www.bookingtool.com on shared and it runs great.  For a simple 1 page site, that should be more than sufficient.

This is good logic. However, I think he wanted the educational benefit of setting up the server himself.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 06:44:15 PM

Why you don't set a Ubuntu-server/Apache configuration with https://www.digitalocean.com/.
It is really cheap and simple.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:31:07 PM

For what he needs, a VPS is way too overkill. In this case I would go for shared hosting, because your home computer is probably not going to be up all the time, plus it brings up some security issues. Also, don't use Windows for this, use Linux.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2014, 06:45:18 PM

For what he needs, a VPS is way too overkill. In this case I would go for shared hosting, because your home computer is probably not going to be up all the time, plus it brings up some security issues. Also, don't use Windows for this, use Linux.

Probably overkill but if his goal is to learn, it may not be a bad idea.
You learn more from running a VPS than using shared hosting setup by someone else.

Web Developer. PM for details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: