Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:32:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any interest in hand forged knives, letter openers that sort of thing?  (Read 2657 times)
bitjet (OP)

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 03:38:00 AM

I do blacksmith work. I can make cooking knives, or low carbon steel knives or letter openers, or maybe anything you want made from a horseshoe. Let me know.

These are some I made from Chainsaw Chain.

Knives like these would be fairly expensive as they are very labor intensive to make.

But a plain knife made from a single piece of steel would be less expensive.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 04:56:30 AM

I have a small collection of custom knives, and would be very interested in what you have to offer.  Are single piece knives all that you make, or do you make folders?  Right now, I'm looking for a small folding pocket knife for my daughter's 11th birthday.

She got her Marlin rifle at eight, which really got a rise out of my mother, but that stays in the gunsafe.  I think that she's ready for some real responsibility.  Any recommendations from the forum?  What kind of pocketknife would you buy for an 11 year old girl?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitjet (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:26:56 AM

I have a small collection of custom knives, and would be very interested in what you have to offer.  Are single piece knives all that you make, or do you make folders?  Right now, I'm looking for a small folding pocket knife for my daughter's 11th birthday.

She got her Marlin rifle at eight, which really got a rise out of my mother, but that stays in the gunsafe.  I think that she's ready for some real responsibility.  Any recommendations from the forum?  What kind of pocketknife would you buy for an 11 year old girl?

Unfortunately I do not currently make any folders.

Does she do outdoors stuff right now?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:48:10 AM

Unfortunately I do not currently make any folders.

Does she do outdoors stuff right now?

No, she doesn't.  She's an urban child, but I grew up with a Swiss Army knife and used it daily; and have carried a series of 'multitools' (currently a Leatherman Wave I've had for ten years) which I use daily.  I tell my kids that the ability to recognize and use basic technology is what sets humanity apart from the remainder of the animal kingdom.  My wife objected to me wearing my "belt tools" to church (multitool & small holstered flashlight) until after 9/11.  Once the story about how one guy lead his entire office floor out of the dark building using an Indiglow watch, I said, "see!  Imagine how many more could have survived if they simply had a flashlight!"

I've worn my "belt tools" everywhere I go since that day.  I've literally never left my house without them, even having to check them before entering the courthouse on a couple occasions.

About a year ago, I heard about a case wherein an elderly woman got her excessively long scarf caught in an escalator, and was strangled in a panic because there was no one in earshot who had a pocketknife.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:48:36 AM

I have a small collection of custom knives, and would be very interested in what you have to offer.  Are single piece knives all that you make, or do you make folders?  Right now, I'm looking for a small folding pocket knife for my daughter's 11th birthday.

She got her Marlin rifle at eight, which really got a rise out of my mother, but that stays in the gunsafe.  I think that she's ready for some real responsibility.  Any recommendations from the forum?  What kind of pocketknife would you buy for an 11 year old girl?

TBH, I wouldn't give my daughter a pocket knife, responsible or not, accidents can happen, and she is not equipped to know what to do in those situations...

Give her a mini pink flashlight or something if you want....

Pocketknives should not be given to guys under 18 and girls under 15~16 (they are more responsible lol). I have a pocket knife and it replaces times when I need scissors or instead o struggling with keys I got my knife, but no kid should have that. Even worse with little innocent children

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:54:30 AM

TBH, I wouldn't give my daughter a pocket knife, responsible or not, accidents can happen, and she is not equipped to know what to do in those situations...

Actually, that's the point.  Accidents do happen, and I want her to learn how to deal with them while she is young enough to experience them while we are still there to be able to step in if need be.  Small cuts from a small two inch blade aren't going to get her killed, but never learning how to handle dangerous tools before adulthood just might.  It's like teaching a child about the hazards of water; is it better to teach a child to stay away from the pool, or to teach the child how to swim?

bitjet (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 04:27:21 PM

Pocketknives should not be given to guys under 18 and girls under 15~16 (they are more responsible lol). I have a pocket knife and it replaces times when I need scissors or instead o struggling with keys I got my knife, but no kid should have that. Even worse with little innocent children

I think thats ridiculous. Giving children responsibility at a young age is the way to get them to respect these things. I had a knife when I was about 10. Thats a good age. Its a very useful tool.
SteveB

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:36:48 PM

Wow, that is some beautiful work!

I'm not even going to ask how much something like that would cost. I just know that I can't afford it.
This isn't some cheap, mass produced junk from china. Work like that takes hours of blood, sweat and tears to produce (and probably some curse words too when things go wrong).

I have never done any blacksmithing, but I do some welding and brazing. My welds are not pretty, but they are good enough to fix my own farm machinery. And a few years back, I even managed to braze together a frame for my recumbent bicycle.
bitjet (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 05:52:29 PM

Wow, that is some beautiful work!

I'm not even going to ask how much something like that would cost. I just know that I can't afford it.
This isn't some cheap, mass produced junk from china. Work like that takes hours of blood, sweat and tears to produce (and probably some curse words too when things go wrong).

I have never done any blacksmithing, but I do some welding and brazing. My welds are not pretty, but they are good enough to fix my own farm machinery. And a few years back, I even managed to braze together a frame for my recumbent bicycle.

Thanks. I do my own welding as well. I have recently been welding a bit better with an arc welder. I found you need to make sure the electrode rod is pressing against your weld at all times, made a big difference for me. I haven't done brazing in a while.
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 07:25:11 PM

can we have some pics of your forge?  Grin
I tried my hand at knife smithing a few years back. lots of burns and swear words  Cheesy

whats your price for a high carbon Straight Razor?
I wont be able to buy because it needs to be blunt to make it through customs (bastards) but I'd like to know anyway.

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 12:54:35 AM

I tried my hand at knife smithing a few years back. lots of burns and swear words  Cheesy

I wont be able to buy because it needs to be blunt to make it through customs (bastards) but I'd like to know anyway.

I've been looking at straight razors, that would be intense to get one custom.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 02:56:30 AM

I've been looking at straight razors, that would be intense to get one custom.
+1

bitjet (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 03:18:03 AM

I've never made one before would have to think about it.

Currently I dont have a shop setup. I do my work out of a gas forge in my mobile farrier rig.

I'll study up the razors and get back to you guys soon.

AndrewBuck

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 05:56:49 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2011, 06:20:08 AM by AndrewBuck

Would you be interested in selling any of the knives in the pictures posted, or is the offer only for new work?  I would be interested in buying one of them, what would you consider a fair price?  I am most interested in one of the three in the bottom of you first picture.  Also, do you know what alloys the chain used consisted of, I am wondering whether the knives would be safe to use for food, etc.

-Buck
bitjet (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 04:37:22 AM

Would you be interested in selling any of the knives in the pictures posted, or is the offer only for new work?  I would be interested in buying one of them, what would you consider a fair price?  I am most interested in one of the three in the bottom of you first picture.  Also, do you know what alloys the chain used consisted of, I am wondering whether the knives would be safe to use for food, etc.

-Buck

Andrew those knives are already gone. They were cook knives made for a few different people. Chainsaw chains consist of a nickle alloy (15n20 maybe?), and a couple different types of high carbon steel like 1080 or 1085.  No residues from the original chainsaw chain are left. You will have a very safe food knife. But like any high carbon steel knife it must be cleaned and dried soon after use or it will rust. The advantage over stainless types is that it holds a better edge.

I need to set my shop back up before I can really start making knifes. I was just seeing how much interest there was in these. But yeah this is something I could do, let me figure it out.
AndrewBuck

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 10:38:01 PM

That's too bad that they are gone, I did think they looked pretty nice.  Keeping them clean/dry would be no problem for me I just wanted to make sure they were safe.  If you get your facilities back up and running let us know.

-Buck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: