Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:13:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody creating a Bitcoin Safe yet?  (Read 1032 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 01:17:40 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Not entirely a new idea but from other threads I've read about this I think this could be built by using something like Tiny Core Linux packaged with a minimal bitcoin client that is designed to work entirely offline.

I had read in another thread that someone was working out how to be able to import and export transactions - if the client supported this feature then money could be moved out of the safe when desired via an export and the blockchain for the safe could be updated via a copy of blk0001.dat followed by a rescan for additions into the safe.

Anyone working on such a solution yet?

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
49er

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 09:08:11 PM

You could do something similar to this, and pretty much equally as safely right now.  Set up a computer which can't access the internet, but can access your local network.  You can even block all incoming ports and only allow one port out (the bitcoin port).  Since you can specify the ip address of the bitcoin server you want to connect to, when you want to make a transfer you turn on your bit-safe, allow it to update from your main pc, which should happen relatively quick over a local connection. Then send the transaction out to a different bitcoin account.  Your bit-safe should send the transaction to your main pc, and you can turn it off until you want to make another withdraw.

If you wanted to go one step further you could put the os on a flash stick, and when you aren't using the bit-safe, keep the flash stick in a real safe.  Although if you used a small enough computer, such a small plug computer (see pogo plug), you could put the whole computer in the safe.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 09:12:10 PM

One issue you'd have to solve is a reliable storage method.

Flash Memory isn't reliable, Harddisks aren't either, CDs decay and so on.
I think magneto-optical storage would be the safest method besides data printed on paper, but that's a more or less abandoned technology...
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

paper wallet,  OCR, bank safe-- done.

Or use https://www.bitaddress.org for paper wallet -> qr code

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 01:54:57 AM

paper can decay over time depending on the type, something like embossed/etched metal however wouldn't as long as the base was a metal that doesn't oxidize

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 11:53:41 PM

Just print out your private keys.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2011, 11:56:40 PM

paper can decay over time depending on the type, something like embossed/etched metal however wouldn't as long as the base was a metal that doesn't oxidize

Paper decays slower than HDs or SSDs, but you are right that metal QR codes would last the longest.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 12:06:40 AM

Milling it on a CNC router or using a laser cutter which can handle stainless steel.

Actually I've read somewhere that the best physically possible data archive method would be using pure iron in a crystalline formation, drifting in space. The least random transmutation from cosmic rays or something  Grin 
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 01:06:03 AM

I've choreographed a spirit dance with the public/private keypair encoded into the chant and dance. I plan to pass this down for generations so when in 200 years or so, when bitcoin get's back up to $30, my great-great-great-grandchildren can buy a cup of coffee.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 02:02:35 AM

The simplest way someone could manage this at home would be to use a printer to make a transparency and then use a process similar to what you'd use making custom PCB's to chemically etch SS, print transparency, lock in frame, expose and then etch, wash when done. you'll have some nice etched stainless when you're done if you can find the right chemcials

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
trilby

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 10:47:30 AM

I have a separate computer with my wallet on I only connect that computer to the network if i want to use it to send a payment.

Ok its not 100% secure but its better than nothing.
MadHacker

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 03:12:16 PM

Milling it on a CNC router or using a laser cutter which can handle stainless steel.

Actually I've read somewhere that the best physically possible data archive method would be using pure iron in a crystalline formation, drifting in space. The least random transmutation from cosmic rays or something  Grin 
great until it gets hit by a meteor.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: