Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:27:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If we may eventually preserve our minds for the generations to come, would you?  (Read 159 times)
IndigoRed (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 02:51:55 AM

The continuous outpouring of grief and tributes for John McCain --a patriot, hero and maverick --made me think about the importance of preserving legacies for future generations. Would you be in favor of the much talked about possibility of mind uploading so we could, in some way, keep the ideologies of these inspiring people from our history alive forever? Imagine the icons of history such as Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King being digitally immortal. Wouldn't that help raise awareness and inspire action about socio-political issues?

A background on mind uploading:
It proposes that humans may ultimately be able to upload themselves into digital versions and freed from their mortal bodies, then live an entirely simulated computer existence in virtual space. (Ex. The Virternity Project)

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goldSkylark

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 03:45:29 AM

I think it's a great idea. I don't think our physical bodies should limit us to what we can or cannot do, anyway. And it's fantastic if legacies, cultures and even history can be preserved by technology. Especially at a time now when there's just so much uncertainty in the world --global warming, violence, inequality, discrimination, poverty etc --it would be great if technology could serve as an educational platform that could inspire and motive society.
TiceOwil

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 03:58:30 AM

Hmm, doesn't sound bad actually. The fact of the matter is that mind uploading might never come to be. In fact, I sincerely doubt it world. But even if it does happen, I do not really see it revolutionizing society. Of course, it might be good for historical purposes. But beyond that, I do not see any major difference.Though there might be a great benefit. And I think it will be the ability to preserve great ideas, even yet disclosed to the public.
Impulseboy

Merit: 4

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:59:25 AM

The continuous outpouring of grief and tributes for John McCain --a patriot, hero and maverick --made me think about the importance of preserving legacies for future generations. Would you be in favor of the much talked about possibility of mind uploading so we could, in some way, keep the ideologies of these inspiring people from our history alive forever? Imagine the icons of history such as Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King being digitally immortal. Wouldn't that help raise awareness and inspire action about socio-political issues?

It proposes that humans may ultimately be able to upload themselves into digital versions and freed from their mortal bodies, then live an entirely simulated computer existence in virtual space. (Ex. The Virternity Project)

I most definitely would. I would also have my family and loved ones do it. The thought of losing a loved one is terrifying so to have the chance to live forever even in the digital world sounds promising to me than dying before my own time. How about you? Would you do it if you are given the chance?
vasilev456

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:19:08 PM

In general, the idea is interesting, only bodily I want to continue to live, and the digital mind will be very dependent on technology!
ClassyDancer

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 01:28:09 AM

Hmm, doesn't sound bad actually. The fact of the matter is that mind uploading might never come to be. In fact, I sincerely doubt it world. But even if it does happen, I do not really see it revolutionizing society. Of course, it might be good for historical purposes. But beyond that, I do not see any major difference.Though there might be a great benefit. And I think it will be the ability to preserve great ideas, even yet disclosed to the public.

Actually, mind uploading can be possible in the next few decades. And this isn’t just based on hearsay. I just finished a book written by PhD researcher and Virtual Reality technologist, David Evans Bailey. In Virternity, he presents different articles and studies supporting the concept of digital immortality in a virtual realm. Imagine yourself free from the limitations of your physical body and living forever in a virtual world. Does that fascinate you?

IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 03:05:30 AM

I most definitely would. I would also have my family and loved ones do it. The thought of losing a loved one is terrifying so to have the chance to live forever even in the digital world sounds promising to me than dying before my own time. How about you? Would you do it if you are given the chance?

Yes. I’d do it if given the chance. A chance for a life extension could mean, as you mentioned, more time with my loved ones. It could also mean more opportunities to do things I couldn’t have achieved in my lifetime. I could travel all over the world, I could accumulate degrees in school and I could finally go skydiving without fear of dying. Haha… I love the promise of infinite possibilities that immortality can bring.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: