Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:09:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Gigabyte bites the dust!!!!  (Read 2595 times)
m3sSh3aD (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:10:33 AM

Yup, yet another cheap and nasty component off a gigabyte board as killed my rig. It's a 5V mofet at best guess, everything turns on but no life and the CPU fan doesnt move (yet its fine).

Just steer clear of gigabyte, there cheap!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 04:24:02 PM

Which Gigabyte in particular?  My GA-990FXA-UD3 seems to be rock solid, but it uses mostly SS components and was fairly $$. 

Perhaps the issue here is more cheap boards = cheap components?  Generally miners opt for the cheapest components that fit their needs, many of these low-end gigabytes and biostars are meant for ultra-budget builds, not 24/7 workhorses.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 04:33:39 PM

Yup, yet another cheap and nasty component off a gigabyte board as killed my rig. It's a 5V mofet at best guess, everything turns on but no life and the CPU fan doesnt move (yet its fine).

My five rigs have been running $84 gigabyte boards for several months no with no problems. My desktops have all been gigabyte boards for the past 5+ years, and I have had exactly one bad board, (recently), with a DOA lan port which I had refunded from new egg. Other then that, I moved to them because I was sick of other motherboards dying randomly and/or taking parts with them.

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:19:20 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2011, 12:44:53 AM by sadpandatech

My five rigs have been running $84 gigabyte boards for several months no with no problems. My desktops have all been gigabyte boards for the past 5+ years, and I have had exactly one bad board, (recently), with a DOA lan port which I had refunded from new egg. Other then that, I moved to them because I was sick of other motherboards dying randomly and/or taking parts with them.

Almost same story here. Building several hundred rigs per year I now use almost exclusivly Gigabyte mobos with very few issues. Granted about 80% of which are the SS or better series. I was a longggg time ASUS fan boy before they burned me two different chip releases in a row on some of their $350+ boards. Two DoAs out of the box on first one, then finally settling on a possibly uninformed tech supports admitance of their being issues and sending a refund and the previous release board for free.(I bought a ton of crap from them at the time) The second DoA out of box, $300+ board, new chipset release. No biggie, it happens but they send me some clearly used up piece of shit that died not more than a week out of the 90 day warranty. I knew I should have sent it back right when I got it and saw it was used but did not want to hassle with it since it worked at the time. Only issue I've had with GA is ICH drivers on some boards but that is just as likely due to Intel being bitches about releasing them timely to the manufactureers as it is the board maker... ;p

Maybe not a big range to warrant switching brands all together but when you pay that much for crap, you expect it to work. Moral of story, shit happens and unless a company consistently has a tendancy to turn out crap other things should be considered. Cost, component grade, consistency of company to handle end-user issues.

Edit; For all my rambling I neglected to ask which model were they, m8?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:10:21 AM

Right, you asked,

970A-UD3 (£65) - Fried on the 24V connection and ruined my Akasa AK1200W PSU in the mean time
MA770T-UD3 (£55) - Just died, completly
P67A-D3-B3 (£90) - WOnt accept more than 3 VGA cards, even though it as 5 PCI-E (2 x16's, 3 X1) and when you add PCI-PCI-E converter it just doesnt boot full stop.

Now, MSI,

870-C45 (£45) - Doesnt skip a beat, must be 2 months solid now no down time
p67a-gd65 B3 (£90) - Pretty new but looks and works a million times better than any gigabyte i've had. Rock solid now.

Gigabyte have cost me big time, That PSU was £145 on offer from £195 so all in all they cost me £300+

Nothing any of you can say to change my mind, MSI (as back in the day) kick ass Smiley
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:54:08 AM

Right, you asked,

970A-UD3 (£65) - Fried on the 24V connection and ruined my Akasa AK1200W PSU in the mean time
P67A-D3-B3 (£90) - WOnt accept more than 3 VGA cards, even though it as 5 PCI-E (2 x16's, 3 X1) and when you add PCI-PCI-E converter it just doesnt boot full stop.

Now, MSI,

p67a-gd65 B3 (£90) - Pretty new but looks and works a million times better than any gigabyte i've had. Rock solid now.

Gigabyte have cost me big time, That PSU was £145 on offer from £195 so all in all they cost me £300+

Nothing any of you can say to change my mind, MSI (as back in the day) kick ass Smiley

Thanks for the reply, Messhead.  If I buy any mobos directly for mining I will certainly consider this. I can see better value in the MSI 870 and 970 for mining over GA in any effect due to about 30% cost difference here if nothing else.

On that GA P67 did you try troubleshooting ICH drivers, 16x use in the 16x slots(i.e., 16x-16x riser if on cables), shorting presence pins on the 1x slots, etc?

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

kirax

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 04:08:58 AM

Right, you asked,

Now, MSI,

Well, two months isn't that long :p

Also, for anecdotes, I had an MSI board many years ago, which had an onboard video card blow out, and then a replacement... which had the onboard CPU socket die, eat a CPU, and then proceed to eat another cpu I put in it trying to find out what went wrong. That is when I got mad and bought a gigabyte :p

Fact is, over a large enough cross section, you will generally find someone with terrible experience with one brand or another. i think the warranty handling is more important... But then, I am lazy and tend to buy local so I can bring it back and make it their problem, so I don't really have to deal with the manufacturer much. On a side note, I stopped buying from new egg when my one gigabyte board did die and they wanted to bill me return shipping and a restocking fee to refund it.. sometime within 2-6 weeks due to shipping it from Canada (point of purchase) back to california. I will pay $4 extra on my $500 order next time to deal local, thanks :p

VPS, shared, dedicated hosting at: electronstorm.ca. No bitcoin payment for that yet, but bitcoins possible for general IT, and mining/GPGPU rigs. PM for details.
m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:14:20 AM

^^ THats true. I wouldnt go near anthing that says ASUS because of past experiences with there customer service, Or lack of Smiley Some interesting/good hardware but if you have a problem, Man, your screwed Smiley

I use x1 to x16 as theres no need for 16 to 16, No need at all. I've tried power molex's, PCI-E converters, Nothing. It boots when they all plug in X sockets but only ever 3 cards show. Its not the cards Wink

Just from personal experience im MSI all the way now. As you noticed also, MSI are way cheaper Smiley

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:13:40 PM

Must be the newer gigabyte boards that are causing you havoc? I've been running ga-ep45-ud3p with jap caps since early 2010, with extreme overclocks, it has been running like a beast, no problems whatsoever. Best board I've ever had. Asus, piece of junk boards, since I've owned a p5n32-e sli, I'll never even look @ em ever again for their nvidia crap 680i chipset screwup. Asus newer boards have the intel chipset, even still after chucking 350 on that junk 680i board, never again, I will buy asus board.
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:19:05 PM

Must be the newer gigabyte boards that are causing you havoc? I've been running ga-ep45-ud3p with jap caps since early 2010, with extreme overclocks, it has been running like a beast, no problems whatsoever. Best board I've ever had. Asus, piece of junk boards, since I've owned a p5n32-e sli, I'll never even look @ em ever again for their nvidia crap 680i chipset screwup. Asus newer boards have the intel chipset, even still after chucking 350 on that junk 680i board, never again, I will buy asus board.

That sounds like the same Asus board line they decided to take a crap on me as well. ;p  I can certainly vouch for the ep45 and ep35's for that matter on GA. Couple hundred of them later with no issues. Super 'Jap Caps' ftw? Same for the  970 -UD3, though not so much for mining if price is a concern.

Mess, I fully agree on the not using 16x extenders. But, there are some boards that are very picky about it.  Catfish had a thread back in Aug with an intel P68 board(Asus) that had a slot that absolutly would not detect a 5th card unless he used a 16x>16x cable in it. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33015.msg466013#msg466013

After reading the first review on that board, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128487  I'm not sure I'd even try to troubleshoot it. ;p  Is yours the same layout x2 16x slots, x3 1x slots?  It does atleast show the 16x slots are 4x if both are being used. That is likely the issue you are having with it if using 1x extenders. Either need to plug in full 16x or check that windows is properly detecting all the intel chipset compenents. Intel Inf install will solve the last one, if its even an issue. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3800#dl  Wish you weren't across the pond as I'd take that board off your hands just to play with the Intel AMT on it. Have not had a chance to screw around with that feature yet.

Well, I'm sure you probably did everything possible. It's just in my nature to try and troubleshoot those kinds of things. Its part of what I do IRL for a living. ;p

Cheers

- GA

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:03:59 PM

Thats the board alright. Board of gayness Smiley

Missed that one of catfish's, Helpful youth that one Smiley

Here's the mess from the Akasa AK1200 & Gigabyte 970A-UD3..... It's not pretty..... Sorry for blur, real hard get lol. 2 exposed pins on the PSU...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/imag0078bo.jpg/

I've never seen it before and i dont have receipot for PSU. Who do you blame, both companys will say its the other company unless i get it independantly tested. Basically i got a bunch of burnt hardware thats useless. Great stuff Sad
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:11:32 PM

Here's the mess from the Akasa AK1200 & Gigabyte 970A-UD3..... It's not pretty..... Sorry for blur, real hard get lol. 2 exposed pins on the PSU...

I've never seen it before and i dont have receipot for PSU. Who do you blame, both companys will say its the other company unless i get it independantly tested. Basically i got a bunch of burnt hardware thats useless. Great stuff Sad

Ouch, them bastards killed it!  That's a new level for me even. I've seen a lot of burnt pins, but that one damn near caught fire. ;p  Strange to see it on the ground pin, though its a little hard to make out on the pic, I assume that is the black wire, third in on that row? It would make me think something was shorting to ground that should not have been. I.e., loose piece of metal, etc?

- GA

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:28:57 PM

Ouch, them bastards killed it!  That's a new level for me even. I've seen a lot of burnt pins, but that one damn near caught fire. ;p  Strange to see it on the ground pin, though its a little hard to make out on the pic, I assume that is the black wire, third in on that row? It would make me think something was shorting to ground that should not have been. I.e., loose piece of metal, etc?

Black and brown, where the 4 pin joins to the 20 pin to make 24 pins. Pin 3&4 (21&22 dependant on the way you look at it)
sadpandatech

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:37:53 PM

Black and brown, where the 4 pin joins to the 20 pin to make 24 pins. Pin 3&4 (21&22 dependant on the way you look at it)

Aye, officially it would be 2 and 3. But the origin of the burn appears to be on pin 3, the black ground pin.  hmmm  It would be curious to look at the board schematic to see what lines draw to there.

- GA

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:49:38 PM

Well, if someone wants to look at them, i wouldnt mind sending it to them (both parts) and if they can figure out the culprit it would be a bonus. Then i could get onto the right company with some facts. But it really is a strange one. SOmething me or anyone i know as ever seen before. And now you point out its the ground thats caused it i can't help but think gigabyte...
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:53:38 PM

I love the Gigabyte RMA page -

http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

Notice step 4...

GIGABYTE RMA Procedure

Please read the following agreement:

Read the following policy carefully
Fill out the Request Form
(You will have a request number for any inquiry you may have while you are waiting for RMA numbers)
Wait for the official RMA number to be issued
(Once your request is verified eligible, the RMA number would be issued within 2 business days)
Print out the RMA form and send it alonSelect uID, Title, Content, GroupID from RMAAgreementg with the defective item back to us at

GBT Inc
Customer Service Center
RMA#
17358 Railroad St
City of Industry CA 91748

Failed SQL injection attempt?   Cheesy

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
MadHacker

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

I had the sme thing happen to a foxcon board years ago.
it melted the connector so bad that i couldn't remove it. Ihad to cut the wires to the 24pin power plug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: