Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:37:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripplepay - Should we start using it massively ?  (Read 2593 times)
gusti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:13:34 PM

Facing last news about exchanges banks accounts being shutdown in Europe, we need to encourage descentralized P2P exchanges much more.

Do you think ripplepay, which already have bitcoin support, is the answer or not ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 01:30:18 PM

I think RipplePay.com is a centralized service currently.  I do think the ripple pay approach of finding a path through a trust network to transfer debt is needed for bitcoin exchange...however, it needs to be done in a truly p2p fashion with the same privacy and irreversibility that bitcoin offers.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:56:30 PM

Unfortunately ripple does not count any more after Bitcoin was invented
LokeRundt

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 11:19:10 AM

How do you figure?  I'm not trolling, I'm not *that* familiar with ripple

Hippy Anarchy
*shrug*
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 06:24:19 PM

Ripple is "debt" transfer as a matter of fact. and useful when asset transfer is very troublesome... like moving stash of cash from one country to another... Since using Bitcoin for moving "stash of cash" is already very easy it makes Ripple not so much needed.. IMHO
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:57:28 PM

you can self sign and issue any currency IOU with ripple.
nothing prevents you from creating even a bitcoin denominated ripple record as a pledge or escrow alternative.
it would have no link to blockchain whatsoever but it's a nice tool (ripplepay) and worth a look

your ad here:
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:17:37 AM

Ripple is less liquid but more stable. I think ripple and bitcoin complement each other well.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 02:44:35 AM

agreed, and there are probably a lot of cases where a record in the blockchain is unnecessary/unwanted.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 04:11:04 AM

S.N. disappears Dec., 2010, and Ripple starts accepting BTC on Jan. 9, 2011. I wonder if there's a connection.
netrin

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 11:36:25 AM

I know we're talking crypto here, but throw us a bone. What's S.N.?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:01:57 PM

some supposedly japanese guy who invented up some awesome currency.

i'll try to find you a link.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 12:29:12 PM

No, Ripple is not good for BITCOINS, but there are many other commodities and currencies, and realistically, if we want to integrate bitcoins into the world, we have to work within the framework.  And getting people to us their USD and other money via a ripple-trust network is one good step along the path towards seeing how an entirely P2P network can function well.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:02:11 PM

Ripplepay sounds like a great concept, but how does it deal with the situation where an intermediary dies or becomes bankrupt, and their debt must be written off? It seems to lack the certainty of Bitcoin.
gusti (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:07:29 PM

Ripplepay sounds like a great concept, but how does it deal with the situation where an intermediary dies or becomes bankrupt, and their debt must be written off? It seems to lack the certainty of Bitcoin.

Sure, the risk cannot be eliminated, but limited in a case by case basis.
Anyway, I was thinking Ripplepay more on helping to build the p2p exchange network, than on the credit side of it.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 01:09:29 PM

Whoever holds that debt could request that it be repaid by family members...however, in combination with bitcoin, ripple would facilitate the exchange of bitcoins for other things...you would not hold debt for extended periods of time, but rather you would settle up periodically.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:10:29 PM

Once bitcoin clients are out that shove extra info into the blockchain, a similar apprach will be achievement via the bitcoin protocol alone.
gusti (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:12:35 PM

Once bitcoin clients are out that shove extra info into the blockchain, a similar apprach will be achievement via the bitcoin protocol alone.

Is there any work in progress with that approach ?

netrin

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 07:31:20 PM

Whether it's ripple, ripple-like, in bitcoin, outside, bitcoin-like, something new, something old, something blue, who cares. There is no such thing as a unique original idea created from intellectual isolation.

Oh, and arigatou for the S.N. bone.

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:49:50 PM

Ripple is "debt" transfer as a matter of fact. and useful when asset transfer is very troublesome... like moving stash of cash from one country to another... Since using Bitcoin for moving "stash of cash" is already very easy it makes Ripple not so much needed.. IMHO
Ripple and ripple like concept is the only way for a sustainable bitcoin economy! Operating an economy on the bases of a "trust no one" payment system is very expensive. Transfer of "debt"/IOWs is transfer of TRUST. Trust is a fundamental category in every economy and the payment system that serves it. This is trust (not money) that makes the world go round! Money come into play if only the limit of trust is reached and balances have to be settled.

You need 6 block solved (1 hour) before your transaction is confirmed. Nobody will use such method of payment at the point-of-sale terminals! We need a system like p2p Ripple to verify the purchase in just couple of seconds. If trust limit is surpassed only then outstanding balances should be cleared through a bitcoin transaction!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 12:37:14 AM

some supposedly japanese guy who invented up some awesome currency.

i'll try to find you a link.

S.O.B., all the links have been removed from the internet. Anybody happen to have a screenshot of anything related to S.N.?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: