Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:02:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it even allowed to promote website ?  (Read 218 times)
vphasitha01 (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 172

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 11:18:09 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2018, 02:58:52 PM by vphasitha01

This user promote his/her website (Topics started by user) almost all the boards in the bitcointalk. I don't think his/her intention is noble since this user only shares the links for his/her website, but not sharing anything in the forum. I'm not saying his/her posts shared only on his/her website are less valuable. Some of them are actually worth to read. The problem is the way he/she promote his/her website, it's really annoying. This user always uses big red dots on the subject and with big useless pictures. I have reported two threads of him/her and even deleted by mods.

The problem is why the forum allowed to run this kind of promoting which I believed really annoying for other users. I just want to know is there any forum rule regarding a website promotion?

Note -I have searched and couldn't find a similar thread which addressed this issue.

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BALIK
Copper Member

Activity: 2058
Merit: 591

🍓 BALIK Never DM First

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 12:37:54 PM

It's definitely annoying, and since the comments are not in line with the topic title or thread agenda, you can just report his posts for spam. In time, people like this will be banned from the forum, but there dozens of these people operating at once, so a few will always slip through the net. If a DT member could tag them that would help somewhat, but I doubt it would curb their spam.

Talk merit

Activity: 244
Merit: 17

Register for Fit to Talk through me

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 12:49:04 PM

I see what you mean - glyphs in the title, and stupid great images. I've put him on ignore.

There are quite a few members who promote their own websites here, and I am certainly one of them. I do it in my signature, and in posts if the site is "on topic". Just as a tip for people considering doing this - you seem to get better click through rates from a simple "run of text" link. Of course this assumes that you are making a useful and constructive post to contain the link.

The Talk Merit projects
 - Jet Cash has set up a number of projects for Bitcoin Talk members Click here to see the list.
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Indeed, looks annoying and some of them look like spam to me. You can report them to the moderator.

I'm not sure why he isn't using his signature to promote his own website if it's that important for him...
vphasitha01 (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 02:37:56 PM

It's definitely annoying, and since the comments are not in line with the topic title or thread agenda, you can just report his posts for spam. In time, people like this will be banned from the forum, but there dozens of these people operating at once, so a few will always slip through the net. If a DT member could tag them that would help somewhat, but I doubt it would curb their spam.
I report his posts and mods also deleted his topics, but he is doing the same thing again and again what he usually does. I'm hoping mods will see my thread and stop this shit ASAP.

I see what you mean - glyphs in the title, and stupid great images. I've put him on ignore.

There are quite a few members who promote their own websites here, and I am certainly one of them. I do it in my signature, and in posts if the site is "on topic". Just as a tip for people considering doing this - you seem to get better click through rates from a simple "run of text" link. Of course this assumes that you are making a useful and constructive post to contain the link.

Promoting your website is not the thing I concerned, but the way he did it. Actually, I'm a fan of your work and the way you utilize your signature space with your site is ok. I just put him ignore, but why mods are leaving loopholes in the forum rules when it comes to the promoting websites. There should be a guideline if members really want to promote their website in the forum. Otherwise what would happen is those threads become a headache for other members and provide space for the spammers/one-liners.  
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 02:40:50 PM

Promoting is equal to advertising and advertising is not allowed as per rules. Report one of his posts and see what happens. He might get temp banned at least.

r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 06:34:10 PM

Actually Cross posting is not allowed in this forum, only exception is if it is getting done on local board and language is different on each board. You can create a report of all Cross post and send it to Global Moderators,  This guy can be permanently banned on counts of spamming and Cross posting.

I am alive
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 11:00:51 PM

I'm of the viewpoint that it depends on the content. If the post is of high quality, and offers more content than what they gain from adding a link then I'll usually leave it. But, if they are simply sharing something, and not providing any information in the thread then I'll remove it. So, basically if its low quality, and its obvious that they are posting to advertise their website/youtube or what ever then I'll report/remove it. This happens a lot in the altcoin section with people promoting their telegrams and discords.
vphasitha01 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 11:45:56 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2018, 12:35:31 PM by vphasitha01

Promoting is equal to advertising and advertising is not allowed as per rules. Report one of his posts and see what happens. He might get temp banned at least.

I'm of the viewpoint that it depends on the content. If the post is of high quality, and offers more content than what they gain from adding a link then I'll usually leave it. But, if they are simply sharing something, and not providing any information in the thread then I'll remove it.
However, Mycrypto1222 continue his annoying works (Big red dots in the subject, useless pictures in the post and advertising his site) as usual. Tongue
why @theymos is it allowed to post this red dots in a subject?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: