Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:03:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My guess at Satoshi: Robert A. Hettinga  (Read 6788 times)
Blinken (OP)

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:27:48 PM

Earlier today I posted a thread on the interesting October 10th article in the New Yorker positing that Satoshi was Michael Clear, a grad student at Trinity. After a review of some of the forum posts and paper by "Satoshi" I do not think it could be him. Even though occasional British spellings are used, the overall language is very Americanized. Also, the writer is much older than 23. He refers to the USENET, for example. Also, the writer's fluent knowledge of cryptocurrency issues is way too thorough for a youngster, even a brilliant one.

Like others I analyzed the language of the Satoshi posts and quickly noticed word collisions with posts of another contributor, Robert A. Hettinga. For example,

.......Right, exactly.
.......synchronisation (spelled with an 's')
.......etched
.......shenanigans

Hettinga founded the "Digital Commerce Society of Boston" and has been intensely interested in digital currency for many years. He would know Gavin Andresen personally through that group. As a young man he went to school in St. Thomas explaining the occasional Britishisms in his writings. Hettinga has extensive expertise in digital currencies and deep familiarity with DigiCash. He has been relentlessly pushing for a digital currency for decades.

I suspect Hettinga designed the Bitcoin system and wrote the paper "Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System" and paid (or invited) a contractor, possibly David Chaum himself, to do the heavy lifting on the coding of the initial version. Hettinga may even have coded it himself. Overall he seems to be a close match philosophically, culturally and technically to be Satoishi.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:30:34 AM

The chances of Satoshi being a single person are slim. I am skeptical of Gavin's explanation for the name Clearcoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

The chances of Satoshi being a single person are slim. I am skeptical of Gavin's explanation for the name Clearcoin.

Lol, please. Like satoshi is going to keep hidden and then Gavin is going to use his real name. Clear? Transparent? Get it?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:44:22 AM

Lol, please. Like satoshi is going to keep hidden and then Gavin is going to use his real name. Clear? Transparent? Get it?

I know, it's like hiding in plain sight. Well, you never know and frankly, I prefer the mystery.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
andrewbadr

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Posts made Jan-March 2017 are not by me

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:48:14 AM

Earlier today I posted a thread on the interesting October 10th article in the New Yorker positing that Satoshi was Michael Clear, a grad student at Trinity. After a review of some of the forum posts and paper by "Satoshi" I do not think it could be him. Even though occasional British spellings are used, the overall language is very Americanized. Also, the writer is much older than 23. He refers to the USENET, for example. Also, the writer's fluent knowledge of cryptocurrency issues is way too thorough for a youngster, even a brilliant one.

Like others I analyzed the language of the Satoshi posts and quickly noticed word collisions with posts of another contributor, Robert A. Hettinga. For example,

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

Hettinga founded the "Digital Commerce Society of Boston" and has been intensely interested in digital currency for many years. He would know Gavin Andresen personally through that group. As a young man he went to school in St. Thomas explaining the occasional Britishisms in his writings. Hettinga has extensive expertise in digital currencies and deep familiarity with DigiCash. He has been relentlessly pushing for a digital currency for decades.

I suspect Hettinga designed the Bitcoin system and wrote the paper "Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System" and paid (or invited) a contractor, possibly David Chaum himself, to do the heavy lifting on the coding of the initial version. Hettinga may even have coded it himself. Overall he seems to be a close match philosophically, culturally and technically to be Satoishi.

Interesting. Can you provide some links?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 12:52:54 AM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

That is interesting, but..

1. none of those are super rare.
2. I (and others I'm sure) eventually start mimicking after talking to or reading from someone for a while.
3. If I were hiding I would make sure to remove my own previously shown idiosyncrasies, but not think of ones I'd picked up from others considering them standard.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:16:29 AM

I believe Bob was a big unix fan, whereas Satoshi did his coding on Windows.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:18:53 AM

And even if that is true you find that's a smart move on your side, to out someone who clearly done something good and wished to remain anonymous?

With friends like these who needs enemies...
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:26:26 AM

I've been looking at the bitcoin source code lately.  The first eight commits were by "sirius-m."  What is his supposed relationship to Satoshi?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:42:50 AM

I've been looking at the bitcoin source code lately.  The first eight commits were by "sirius-m."  What is his supposed relationship to Satoshi?

He used to be the forum server sysadmin if I'm not mistaken.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 03:06:06 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

The below is exactly what I proposed to do to help figure out who Satoshi is when I posted this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25764.msg322700#msg322700

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

2. I (and others I'm sure) eventually start mimicking after talking to or reading from someone for a while.
3. If I were hiding I would make sure to remove my own previously shown idiosyncrasies, but not think of ones I'd picked up from others considering them standard.

None of them INDIVIDUALLY is rare but the combination is what clued me in to Hettinga. If you do a concordance analysis on the mailing list archive what you will find is that Satoshi's posts correlate most closely with Hettinga's and by a wide margin.

If I really wanted to prove it was the same person I could do a latent semantic analysis using a Stanford parse of the grammar, but I have little doubt what the results would be: a match to Hettinga.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 03:53:22 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

None of them INDIVIDUALLY is rare but the combination is what clued me in to Hettinga. If you do a concordance analysis on the mailing list archive what you will find is that Satoshi's posts correlate most closely with Hettinga's and by a wide margin.

If I really wanted to prove it was the same person I could do a latent semantic analysis using a Stanford parse of the grammar, but I have little doubt what the results would be: a match to Hettinga.

then i think that is what you should do to settle this controversy.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 05:31:11 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

Isn't this exactly what I proposed back in July?: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25764.msg322700#msg322700
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 05:50:58 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

Isn't this exactly what I proposed back in July?: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25764.msg322700#msg322700

It's one thing to propose something, and another to provide a result.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 05:54:07 PM

Has anyone actually asked Robert Hettinga whether he is Satoshi as well as his thoughts on the analysis in the thread?

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 05:57:08 PM

.......Right, exactly.
.......etched
.......shenanigans

It's one thing to propose something, and another to provide a result.

You are exactly correct. I was unable to tackle what I proposed, therefore no results. I offered up the solution for other(s) to tackle the issue by providing a tool--a tool I didn't know how to use. I look forward to the results, now that it looks like the tool is being used.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 06:08:52 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2011, 06:45:00 PM by sadpandatech

This is all very interesting and while I certainly wouldn't protest some good ol' fashion detective work or the occasional debate on someones identity, I feel it may be inappropriate do pursue Satoshi's. It is of my opinion that we have, at the least, a civic duty to ensure that Satoshi's real identity should remain anonymous if that is what he so chooses. We could probably debate that viewpoint until our brains fall out. But it just seems to me, in light of the potential problems one could face with being the 'creator' of such an endeavour, that our continued research into his identity is impulsive at best. And potentially dangerous to him at worst.

Sincerely,
     Derek

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 06:15:30 PM

This is all very interesting and while I certainly wouldn't protest some good ol' fashion detective work or the occasional debate on someones identity, I feel it may be inappropriate do pursure Satoshi's. It is of my opinion that we have, at the least, a civic duty to ensure that Satoshi's real identity should remain anonymous if that is what he so chooses. We could probably debate that viewpoint until our brains fall out. But it just seems to me, in light of the potential problems one could face with being the 'creator' of such an endeavour, that our continued research into his identity is impulsive at best. And potentially dangerous to him at worst.

Sincerely,
     Derek

(Directed towards your last sentence) I guess if the US government really wanted to track down SN, they could easily utilize the said tool.
Blinken (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 06:19:31 PM

This is all very interesting and while I certainly wouldn't protest some good ol' fashion detective work or the occasional debate on someones identity, I feel it may be inappropriate do pursure Satoshi's. It is of my opinion that we have, at the least, a civic duty to ensure that Satoshi's real identity should remain anonymous if that is what he so chooses. We could probably debate that viewpoint until our brains fall out. But it just seems to me, in light of the potential problems one could face with being the 'creator' of such an endeavour, that our continued research into his identity is impulsive at best. And potentially dangerous to him at worst.

Sincerely,
     Derek

Too late for that. I already forwarded a full dossier on Hettinga including his address in Antigua to the Secret Enforcement Office (SEG) at the FED. I expect to be receiving sizable rewards from the Bilderburg Group and Trilateral Commission any day now.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: