Bitcoin Forum
September 12, 2024, 07:20:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone see a problem with Blackcoin "500 Block" coin maturity  (Read 1325 times)
tokyoghetto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:20:26 AM

So I think that the 500 block maturity is a problem with Blackcoin. If you are PoS mining, the coins you use to stake become unspendable until the new coins reach maturity. So if you are staking your coins and decide that you want to sell, you have to wait 500 blocks until you can move the coins to an exchange.

This could pose a problem, especially in fast markets. If Blackcoin ever pumps, you may have to wait hours before you can move coins. and If you have coins broken up into smaller chunks, constantly staking, it can take you days before you can move the entire wallet. The only solution I see is that you need to disable PoS minting if you ever need to move coins in a hurry.  
TrollboxChamp

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:52:08 AM

Use the command reserve balance  Wink

reservebalance [<reserve> [amount]]

go into your console and type help if you have trouble its in there. You can stake with an encrypted wallet as well
singula

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:28:03 AM

Some coins have even larger block maturity (Datacoin has 3000 blocks maturity, CACHeCoin has 520 blocks maturity)

With 1 minute block time it is only 8 hours, so it is not that bad. DataCoin has 2 days and CACHeCoin over 5 days (due to larger block time).
On the other hand, this mechanism acts partly as market protection from sudden "mine and dump" hypes. Long block maturity discourages short term investors in coin mining (like multipool hopping), but encourages long term investors (lesser chance of multipools and similar screwing up their mining profits) in mining a particular coin.

Big brother is not watching you anymore. Big brother is telling you how to live.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: